• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What if I have a Florida driver's license, am registered to vote in FL and use that state as my legal residence, but i live in MD because I am military and that is where I am stationed, can I buy an AR15 lower receiver in VA? I don't want to beat around the bush or start a new thread so I figured I would just come out and ask.
    According to MD, no. However there is some doubt, but don't chance it.

If you are stationed in MD and your current house is in MD, then your place of residence is MD as far as purchasing firearms goes. So therefore when buying long guns from out of state it has to be legal in both that state and the state you reside in. SInce regulated firearms purchases must go through a MD regulated firearms dealer or the MDSP, you supposedly cannot buy a regulated lower in VA without involving a MD regulated firearm dealer.

However, an HBAR AR 15 is not regulated and you can buy one in VA no problem, but the MDSP has claimed that just lowers alone are regulated (unless maybe stamped HBAR????) so you will likely not be able to buy a lower alone in VA.
    NOt sure about this, but if maybe you bought an HBAR AR15 as unregulated and then went back and sold the upper back to the VA dealer, then I see nothing wrong with that.
    I am not a lawyer.

Arch_NME

Aug 19, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    When you say regulated or unregulated in this thread what does that mean? I wanted to get a Kel Tec P-32 but I guess it's not on the approved list of okay handguns for Maryland. Is it illegal for me to just go buy one in Virginia?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    A Regulated firearm is any MODERN handgun and certain rifles or shotguns, that the state of MD has designated as requiring additional state paperwork for purchasing and a waiting period and a on Regulated firearm purchase per every 30 day period rule.

A resident of MD can't buy a handgun in any other state. This is Federal law, not state.

List of regulated long arms: http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/assault_weapons.pdf

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    What if I have a Florida driver's license, am registered to vote in FL and use that state as my legal residence, but i live in MD because I am military and that is where I am stationed, can I buy an AR15 lower receiver in VA? I don't want to beat around the bush or start a new thread so I figured I would just come out and ask.

I have read that the state of your "duty station" is also considered a residence. So theoretically I believe you could have a Fl. drivers license and a "residence", have an official duty station in Md. which is considered a "residence" regardless of whether you live there or not, and then actually live in Va/Pa/De/WV/etc. which would also be a "residence".

So you could actually purchase regulated firearms in 3 different states - legally. You could probably even buy one in your duty station state and one in another state the same day - maybe the same hour!

Not a bad perq for the military.;) Thank You for your service!!

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    According to MD, no. However there is some doubt, but don't chance it. That is federal law that "exempts" longguns from the in-state requirement.
    If you are stationed in MD and your current house is in MD, then your place of residence is MD as far as purchasing firearms goes. And Fl. when he is there. So therefore when buying long guns from out of state it has to be legal in both that state and the state you reside in. SInce regulated firearms purchases must go through a MD regulated firearms dealer or the MDSP, you supposedly cannot buy a regulated lower in VA without involving a MD regulated firearm dealer. This is correct because an "other" regulated lower is not a longgun. There was a lot of ambiguity regarding this practice when the new 4473's first came out. The atf clarified it in one of their dealer newsletters so now ALL "other" firearms can only be sold in-state to 21 and over.Even FTF where not prohibited - Mossberg Cruiser for example.
    However, an HBAR AR 15 is not regulated and you can buy one in VA no problem, but the MDSP has claimed that just lowers alone are regulated (unless maybe stamped HBAR????) so you will likely not be able to buy a lower alone in VA. Even if it is stamped HBAR it doesn't matter. It is what it is - an "other" firearm. Even if it was a rifle at one time it still is an "other". Now, you could only legally assemble the lower that was once a rifle into another rifle. Since Md. considers the lower to be "the" firearm then you could do a FTF sale on a HBAR stamped lower since the HBAR is not regulated per statute.NOt sure about this, but if maybe you bought an HBAR AR15 as unregulated and then went back and sold the upper back to the VA dealer, then I see nothing wrong with that.
    I am not a lawyer.
    :)

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    One of the types of investigations I conduct at work are residency investigations. I've conducted a couple of thousand of them. Case law supporting the issue of residency in Maryland is limited to where you pay State income taxes and where you are registered to vote. Home ownership means nothing, the place of employment means nothing. Where relatives reside and where a second home is loacted means is nothing. There is no such thing as dual residency. For those who own homes in other States, they are just that - homes in other states. Do not confuse dual residences with dual residency. Other contributing circumstances to establish residency would be where one principally resides, where mail is principally received, where utilitiy bills are principally paid, where your children go to school, in State tuition issues and a host of other circumstantial data.

For those who think they can have it both ways because you own a second home in another State or a relative resides in another State where you visit on a regular basis, tread lightly. In the example where someone use Maryland for the tax advantage, yet has a Pa driver's license, you are in violation. The information given was insufficient to determine what your State of residency really is, but let's assume that you are a Pa resident. If so, you are in violation of Pa State income tax laws. If you are a Maryland resident you are in violation of failing to acquire a Maryland driver's license... and I assume failing to register your vehicle(s) in Maryland. Bottom line is that you can't have it both ways. I wish it were so, for I own homes in multiple States, each having substantial financial and other advantages over Maryland.

As to gun purchases... the Maryland laws are fairly clear.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    According to MD, no. However there is some doubt, but don't chance it.

If you are stationed in MD and your current house is in MD, then your place of residence is MD as far as purchasing firearms goes. So therefore when buying long guns from out of state it has to be legal in both that state and the state you reside in. SInce regulated firearms purchases must go through a MD regulated firearms dealer or the MDSP, you supposedly cannot buy a regulated lower in VA without involving a MD regulated firearm dealer.

Novice is right, although MDSP seems to think that the AR style lower is regulated, I could given unlimited money make a pretty good case to prove that it is not. That said, if you don't want to hassle the whole thing let me make a recommendation, because this is what I am doing for my AR style lowers.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/category.php?cid=22

Get the jig for finishing the AR lowers. $125
    Buy a 5 pack of 80% receivers. $375

No serial numbers. No registration. No 4473. No FFL fees. No Form 77R. No 7 day wait. Totally Legal.

These are fairly easy to finish up using the jig and a drill press.

Like some, I am also active duty military. When I want to buy something cool... I just go to Texas, my state of residence and buy what I want there and bring it back (except for the dreaded "assault pistols" that are banned here.) In TX, I lay down my CHL and that's all that's needed to walk out the door with whatever I want.

Mark

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have read that the state of your "duty station" is also considered a residence. So theoretically I believe you could have a Fl. drivers license and a "residence", have an official duty station in Md. which is considered a "residence" regardless of whether you live there or not, and then actually live in Va/Pa/De/WV/etc. which would also be a "residence".

So you could actually purchase regulated firearms in 3 different states - legally. You could probably even buy one in your duty station state and one in another state the same day - maybe the same hour!

Not a bad perq for the military.;) Thank You for your service!!
    Military can only have two states of residence at most.
    For instance, in the above scenario where a person has a FL DL and a residence in FL, but also has a residence in VA and is stationed over the border in MD, they can only buy as a resident of VA and MD.
    If the residence was in MD, the permanent duty station was in MD and they had a residence in FL and a FL DL, they can only purchase as a MD resident and cannot purchase in FL as a FL resident according to ATF regulations.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    One of the types of investigations I conduct at work are residency investigations. I've conducted a couple of thousand of them. Case law supporting the issue of residency in Maryland is limited to where you pay State income taxes and where you are registered to vote. Home ownership means nothing, the place of employment means nothing. Where relatives reside and where a second home is loacted means is nothing. There is no such thing as dual residency. For those who own homes in other States, they are just that - homes in other states. Do not confuse dual residences with dual residency. Other contributing circumstances to establish residency would be where one principally resides, where mail is principally received, where utilitiy bills are principally paid, where your children go to school, in State tuition issues and a host of other circumstantial data.
    I do believe you are confusing residence with domicile. Also, what definition applies for your specific field may not apply for others in MD law. There is indeed such a thing as dual residency for some points of law.
    Under MD law you can only have one domicile, but you can be a resident of MD and another state. For instance you have a domicile in VA with a residence there which you maintain, but live in MD for more than six months, then for tax purposes they are MD resident according to MD, but may still vote in VA as a VA resident.

For those who think they can have it both ways because you own a second home in another State or a relative resides in another State where you visit on a regular basis, tread lightly. In the example where someone use Maryland for the tax advantage, yet has a Pa driver's license, you are in violation. The information given was insufficient to determine what your State of residency really is, but let's assume that you are a Pa resident. If so, you are in violation of Pa State income tax laws. If you are a Maryland resident you are in violation of failing to acquire a Maryland driver's license... and I assume failing to register your vehicle(s) in Maryland. Bottom line is that you can't have it both ways. I wish it were so, for I own homes in multiple States, each having substantial financial and other advantages over Maryland.

As to gun purchases... the Maryland laws are fairly clear.
    The ATF disagrees with you and anything which happens in another state like a firearms purchase is not in Maryland's jurisdiction or authority.
    State of residence. The State in which
    an individual resides. An individual resides
    in a State if he or she is present in a State
    with the intention of making a home in that
    State. If an individual is on active duty as a
    member of the Armed Forces, the individual's
    State of residence is the State in
    which his or her permanent duty station is
    located. An alien who is legally in the
    United States shall be considered to be a
    resident of a State only if the alien is residing
    in the State and has resided in the
    State for a period of at least 90 days prior
    to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm.
    The following are examples that illustrate
    this definition:

Example 1. A maintains a home in
    State X. A travels to State Y on a hunting,
    fishing, business, or other type of trip. A
    does not become a resident of State Y by
    reason of such trip.

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and
    maintains a home in State X and a home
    in State Y. A resides in State X except for
    weekends or the summer months of the
    year and in State Y for the weekends or
    the summer months of the year. During
    the time that A actually resides in State X,
    A is a resident of State X, and during the
    time that A actually resides in State Y, A is
    a resident of State Y.
    Tax law, divorce law, firearms transfer laws, and even Transportation Article laws in MD all seem to have different nuances, definitions and uses of the words residence and residency.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    That is federal law that "exempts" longguns from the in-state requirement.
    Federal law states the long gun purchase has to be legal in both states.

If you are stationed in MD and your current house is in MD, then your place of residence is MD as far as purchasing firearms goes.
    And Fl. when he is there.
    No, see my last post.

Since Md. considers the lower to be "the" firearm then you could do a FTF sale on a HBAR stamped lower since the HBAR is not regulated per statute.
    That all depends on which trooper you speak to at the Firearms Licensing division and what day of the week it is. It is one of the most inconsistent definitions or determinations comming from that office we have seen over the years here. Some say it has to have HBAR stamped on the lower, others say it just has to have a heavy barrel.

Feb 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    As for military, one problem with being stationed in this area is the probability you will/can remain in this area for an extended period of time, yet move from one station to another. For example, a friend of mine was stationed at Fort Meade for a few years. he bought a home here in MD. As most of you know, we military usually retain state of residence at our home state where we enlisted. In the case of my friend, after his 3 years he took another assignment in the area, this assignment was in Virginia. Now, he has orders for Va, lives in MD, but has a drivers license in his home state. He is know unable to buy any regulated firearm. No one will touch him. Talk about a screwy situation.

Any advice for my friend? We were just discussing this very predicament a few weeks back.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Novus, I think it is a little more complex than that. I think if you look into it the ATF faq ignores the possibility that a member might be "stationed" in one state, have a domicile in a second state, and have your home of record in a third state.

The ATF clearly states that you are a resident of a state if you are in that state and have intent to make a home there. I would assert that having a domicile in that state shows pretty clear intent "of making a home" in that state. While you are certainly not a Maryland state resident if you are living in VA, your orders would allow you to be treated as a resident for purposes of purchasing a weapon. Additionally, your legal domicile being in VA would allow you to purchase weapons as a resident of that state, and finally your home of record being Florida would entitle you to purchase weapons in that state when residing there.

It's not a common situation which is why I don't think the ATF FAQ addresses it, although it should.

Mark

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    As for military, one problem with being stationed in this area is the probability you will/can remain in this area for an extended period of time, yet move from one station to another. For example, a friend of mine was stationed at Fort Meade for a few years. he bought a home here in MD. As most of you know, we military usually retain state of residence at our home state where we enlisted. In the case of my friend, after his 3 years he took another assignment in the area, this assignment was in Virginia. Now, he has orders for Va, lives in MD, but has a drivers license in his home state. He is know unable to buy any regulated firearm. No one will touch him. Talk about a screwy situation.

Any advice for my friend? We were just discussing this very predicament a few weeks back.

Novus, I think it is a little more complex than that. I think if you look into it the ATF faq ignores the possibility that a member might be "stationed" in one state, have a domicile in a second state, and have your home of record in a third state.

The ATF clearly states that you are a resident of a state if you are in that state and have intent to make a home there. I would assert that having a domicile in that state shows pretty clear intent "of making a home" in that state. While you are certainly not a Maryland state resident if you are living in VA, your orders would allow you to be treated as a resident for purposes of purchasing a weapon. Additionally, your legal domicile being in VA would allow you to purchase weapons as a resident of that state, and finally your home of record being Florida would entitle you to purchase weapons in that state when residing there.

It's not a common situation which is why I don't think the ATF FAQ addresses it, although it should.

Mark
    Mark, what I quoted was not from the ATF FAQ, it was directly from the ATF regulations.
    However, this does not mean you are wrong because you might have a point that even the regulations failed to conceive this point of yours.

This is an ATF newsletter about the subject (note, the questions this refers to may be different now because they may have updated the forms, but the back section of the current 4473 has instructions for the dealer to follow and explains what to do in case of your military friend, stlbluesaddic).
    SALES TO MILITARY PERSONNEL –
    RESIDENCY VERIFICATION
    ATF has been asked to clarify how and when a
    license dealer may sell a firearm to someone who is
    on active duty with the Armed Forces. In
    particular, how does the licensee verify that the
    military person is a resident of their State and
    therefore entitled to purchase a firearm? An active
    duty member of the Armed Forces may have
    more than one State of residence. The Gun
    Control Act (GCA) provides that a member of
    the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of
    the State in which his or her permanent duty station
    is located. However, the GCA’s general definition
    of State of residence may also apply to some
    active duty members. The general definition of
    State of residence is the State in which an individual
    resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she
    is present in a State with an intention of making a
    home in the State. If a member of the Armed
    Forces maintains a home in one State and the
    member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby
    State to which he or she commutes each day, then
    the member is considered a resident of both the
    State in which his or her duty station is located and
    the State in which his or her home is maintained,
    and he or she may purchase a firearm in either
    State.
    As directed by the instructions contained in the
    Firearms Transaction Record, ATF Form 4473,
    any member of the Armed Forces on active duty
    acquiring a firearm in the State where his or her
    permanent duty station is located who does not
    reside at his or her permanent duty station, must
    list both his or her permanent duty station address
    and his or her residence address in response to
    Question 2. Further, in situations where the
    transferee is an active duty military member
    acquiring a firearm where his or her duty station is
    located, but he or she has a driver’s license from
    another State, you should list the transferee’s
    military identification card and official orders
    showing where his or her permanent duty station is
    located in response to Question 18a.
    Andrews Air Force Base is located in Maryland. A
    member of the Armed Forces stationed at
    Andrews Air Force Base who resides in Virginia,
    but commutes to work at Andrews Air Force Base
    would be considered to be a resident of both
    Virginia and Maryland. However, a member
    stationed at Andrews who resides in Maryland
    would be considered only to be a resident of
    Maryland.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2004-08.pdf

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What about person to person sales in VA?

I've seen "MD regulated" firearms being sold P2P at VA gun shows.

If both parties are not VA residents or the recieving party an FFL, then they were breaking federal law and if caught could lose their right to own guns ever again (not to mention their freedom for a year or so).

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Mark, what I quoted was not from the ATF FAQ, it was directly from the ATF regulations.
    However, this does not mean you are wrong because you might have a point that even the regulations failed to conceive this point of yours.

This is an ATF newsletter about the subject (note, the questions this refers to may be different now because they may have updated the forms, but the back section of the current 4473 has instructions for the dealer to follow and explains what to do in case of your military friend, stlbluesaddic).

http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2004-08.pdf

I am dealing with a similar issue with regards to the spouse's taxes... it's a quagmire to say the least.

Mark

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Military can only have two states of residence at most. Do you have a reference to a law for this?For instance, in the above scenario where a person has a FL DL and a residence in FL, but also has a residence in VA and is stationed over the border in MD, they can only buy as a resident of VA and MD.
    If the residence was in MD, the permanent duty station was in MD and they had a residence in FL and a FL DL, they can only purchase as a MD resident and cannot purchase in FL as a FL resident according to ATF regulations.

I don't know about that. I have a cousin who had a house in Fl., Lived in Va., worked at the pentagon and had car tags from Alaska. How?

I agree that .mil might only be able to have 2 "official" residences - duty station and actual residence. But they can have other civilian residences which would also qualify them for regulated firearm purchases in those states.

Federal law states the long gun purchase has to be legal in both states.

Yes, but MickTaco specifically asked about an AR15 lower receiver purchase which was clarified by atf to be only allowed "in-state".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom