• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    I am looking to get my middle daughter into shooting. I am thinking of either a Crickett 226S or a Savage Rascal? If you know of anything else around that range (160 and 140 respectively) I would be grateful. IP's have anything in stock? Local would be best obviously.

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    Ruger 10/22 carbine. She will be able to grow into it. You can get a used one for a little more $$.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Another option is Mossberg 801 Plinkster. Don't overlook vintage single-shots if you're willing to call around to see if local shops have any. Examples are Winchester model 67, 67A, 68 and Remington model 514. The youth versions tend to sell for cheap. Depending on your child, she might like the old military single shots, like the Polish Wz48. Super cool for a kid to have.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I am looking to get my middle daughter into shooting. I am thinking of either a Crickett 226S or a Savage Rascal? If you know of anything else around that range (160 and 140 respectively) I would be grateful. IP's have anything in stock? Local would be best obviously.

10/22 if you can increase the budget, if not Rem 597 should fit your budget.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Thanks all. I've thought about a Ruger but they are about 100 more than what I am looking to spend. The Remington is a good option and right in line with my funds.

Anyone have issues with their kids reach on a non youth model? My daughter is right about 5 foot so she has quite a reach on her.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I think it's best to start kids off with a bolt action and suggest a CZ-452 Scout.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-scout/

It has a junior-sized stock (12" length of pull) and a 16.25" barrel. Standard, it comes with a single-shot "magazine", that you can later swap out for a standard 5 or 10 round mag. The rifle is solid steel and wood, and will last a lifetime.

When they grow up, you could even move the barreled action into a full-sized stock and they could shoot it for their entire lives.

JoeR

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    My soon to be 10 year old daughter has really enjoyed the Cricket but will be moving up to my 10/22 soon. The Cricket was a loaner from a friend and that may be an option. Whatever you go with, I hope she has a great time!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is she shooting offhand or supported?
    I ask cause it should make a difference.
    When my son was 10, he shot my Brother in Law's Ithica Single Lever action as his first rifle offhand at cans @ 25-50ft. He and his older brother (who shot before) then shot a scoped 10/22 but he had to have it supported. Too heavy to shoot offhand.

I had him shoot my Marlin XT22 next but from the bench. The XT22 scoped shooting plates at 100yards supported is still a favorite for the older boys. But if I were spending more time offhand shooting when he was 10, I'd have likely gotten a lighter gun. Later that year, I got a Marlin 795 which without a scope is really light and at 12, he has no trouble with. Dunno the weight on the synthetic 10/22.

I ask about how she will shoot because if its offhand, a full sized 22 will be difficult unless she's really strong.
    The other thing is even if you buy a $125 single shot, I don't see how you'd have any difficulty selling it for $75 or more if you take care of it in a couple years. I understand the "grow into it" but if they don't have an enjoyable time now, there will be time wasted. Take her to the store and have her hold one.
    I recall from when I looked at one for my kids that the sights were different from each, that should be consideration.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    She'll be shooting supported for the majority of the time so she should be good with a heavier gun. She has younger siblings (Boy 7 and Girl 5) so they can shoot the rifle later on after she moves up. I wanted it to be more of a surprise for her birthday in a couple of weeks but the best thing would be to take her and try a couple out. Thank you for all the comments so far.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I would look at the Savage Rascal, I bought my son a Chipmonk from the first company that built them. They are now in there 3 rd ownership and are owned by Keystone ( cricket ) they are wonderfully built rifles and its sad that Keystone does not promote them much. It comes with a self cocking bolt.. It has its place but it is too difficult to cock and you and you child will have sore fingers quickly. The Savage is a self cocker and has a magazine. Its so important in shooting that you start your child off with a firearm that is sized correctly for them.. Its a 150 bucks...... not that much money for the crying some guys do over it, You would think they are buying a Grade 5 Browning.
    Here is a nice writeup about Savages Rascal 22 and kids.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/savage-rascal-22-single-shot-youth-rifle-review/

And don't forget KIDS safety equipment... You might have to order it... Do your daughter a huge favor get KIDS glasses and muffs... kids get frustrated quickley... adult equipment is just to big and will slip or fall off.
    And along with learning all the rules remember to keep your cool and make it FUN FUN.FUN...Use spinners ...clay pigeons....full soda cans..... fun stuff along with learning and you will develop a live long friend and shooter.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have experience with each of the guns listed so far in this thread. I also teach kids to shoot in a Jr program.

Of the guns listed I will tell youwhat I like and dislike.

The Cricket is a good gun and is sized for kids. I do not like the cocking piece and prefer the Savage Rascal for this reason.

The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun I own several but do not reccomend them for a kid. Even if you buy the CRR model that has a shorter length of pull they tend to be to heavy. It is also hard for a kid to manipulate the bolt lock lever while holding the rifle. Since it is semi auto I find most kids just waste ammo to hear the bang.

The Mossberg Plinkster is junk in my opinion. I have seen several on the range with constant failures. Its no fun for a kid to watch dad fix the gun all day.

The Remington 597 is a good gun and theybare normally reliable under moderate use. If she is going to shoot often then she will wear it out.

CZ 452 Scout is an awsome gun with no drawbacks except price. You can even trade the stock in as she grows up for the longer length of pull.

Savage MKIIs are great rifles but tend to be a little heavy for some kids.

If you would like to try many of these rifles out you could bring her to the St Charles Sportsmans Club Jr Rifle program. It is held on the first Sunday of each month at 1 pm and its free. We supply everything!

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Ruger american rimfire

Bolt action so she can take her time.

Takes ruger 10/22 mags

Available in a compact version:

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...eets/8303.html

I know the Ruger is a little high for your budget (our full size was $285), but something to consider is the stock is modular. When she outgrows the 12" LOP on the compact, you buy the 13.5" LOP module for $20 from Ruger and a by simply unscrewing the sling swivel, you change out to the longer module and your right back in business.

BTW..The gun comes with two modules, a flat comb and monte carlo in one length.

We love ours.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm really not a good one to ask - I started off with a Browning 22 semi-auto rifle, probably before I was 11, and migrated to a Marlin 39A lever action as I got older, mostly because the tube in the stock of the Browning broke loose - a common problem for the Browning 22s made in that timeframe.

If it was me, I'd save a bit more, spend a bit more and get a Ruger 10/22 for my kids. Oh wait - I did. :D never mind.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I know the Ruger is a little high for your budget (our full size was $285), but something to consider is the stock is modular. When she outgrows the 12" LOP on the compact, you buy the 13.5" LOP module for $20 from Ruger and a by simply unscrewing the sling swivel, you change out to the longer module and your right back in business.

BTW..The gun comes with two modules, a flat comb and monte carlo in one length.

We love ours.

I've seen the american rimfire compact for ~$255 from at least one md ffl.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Find a good junior shooting program to get her involved with, most programs can use your help also. She will learn all the basics, shoot with other kids, get a chance to try some different rifles, and most important have some fun.

Post your location and you will get some suggestions. The CMP has a club finder page:
    https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch

The NRA has a similar search.

Get her shooting then decide on the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom