• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    A previous post got me thinking... any legal issue with building a 'firearm' with vertical grip and all akin to:

http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_BFS-XO-26_S.html

XO26S%20LS%20LARGE.png

considering that Maryland law states that if the barrel length is <16" it is a handgun?

Or... even crazier... what if you get a 20" AR15 upper in 22lr (to keep it bufferless) so it is over 26" in length and put a vfg on it?

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    You are correct. If OAL is longer than 26" and you attach a VFG, it becomes a firearm. Take off the VFG and it's a pistol again. It's a grey area but perfectly allowable as outlined in several BATFE letters.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Don't confuse MD with the rest of the non-communist states.
    a .22lr can be <29" but a centerfire cannot be <29" as a SBR in the PR of MD.

AOW, I thought (but was wrong) was limited to weird stuff like cane guns. However I found an ATF letter that said adding a VFG to a pistol would need a Form 1 and tax stamp. However MD bans "assault pistols" so it is still no good here.

We're talking pistols, not SBRs. Thier is no min OAL for a pistol.
    Pistol with vfg <26"=stamp
    Pistol with vfg >26"=no stamp

A lot of misinformation in this thread...

Care to elaborate?

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    We're talking pistols, not SBRs. Thier is no min OAL for a pistol.
    Pistol with vfg <26"=stamp
    Pistol with vfg >26"=no stamp

Care to elaborate?

Sure, every post in this thread is wrong except for what you and I have posted lol.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    FIFY
    Afaik, a vfg on a pistol with an OAL less than 26" is a no no.
    No go on the vertical grip with an OAL less than 26". Angles forward grip is GTG

Both firearms built on pre-FSA'13 lowers and assembled before October 1, 2013.

Top: AR-15 with 28" OAL, 11.5" barrel, no buttstock, and vertical foward grip. The yard stick is marked at 26" with black tape.

Per BATFE regulations, this is not a handgun because it has a VFG and not designed to be fired with a single hand. It is not a rifle or subject to the NFA/SBR classification because it is not designed to be shoulder fired. It is not subject to NFA/AOW classification because it has an OAL greater than 26" and is not concealable upon one's body. I believe the BATFE classifies this as a Class 1 firearm.

Bottom: Form-1 SBR with 24.5" OAL.

Here is the ATF leter that discusses the legality of the TOP firearm.
    http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
      IMG_0162.jpg
      73 KB · Views: 1,010

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    So bringing this back around again... Could the top firearm in tc617's post (#10) be made with a post 10/1 lower?

I know ar15s pistols are fine, non-hbar ar15s are no-go, but what about ar15 'firearms' akin to the xo26??

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Yes you can build it. OAL must be >26". Pistol does not have to be HBAR. There was a letter posted here where MSP ruled post 10/13 pistols did not need to be HBAR.

Ban does not apply. It is not a long gun.

Last edited:

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I stand corrected.

Now I have a question:
    If a pistol is transferred as a "pistol" if the gun reaches 26.25 inches would it be legal to put a vertical grip?
    Specifically the Cz scorpion

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    Yes you can build it. OAL must be >29". Pistol does not have to be HBAR. There was a letter posted here where MSP ruled post 10/13 pistols did not need to be HBAR.

Ban does not apply. It is not a long gun.

Why 29"

From SB281: A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS AN OVERALL LENGTH OF LESS THAN 29 INCHES - it is not a rifle

I stand corrected.

Now I have a question:
    If a pistol is transferred as a "pistol" if the gun reaches 26.25 inches would it be legal to put a vertical grip?
    Specifically the Cz scorpion

That is pretty much what I am asking too. A pistol once it reaches over 26" and gets a vfg is no longer a pistol/handgun per Federal Law - It is a 'firearm' per the ATF. BUT MD law states "(2) Handgun' means a Firearm with a Barrel less than 16 inches in length"

So you would have a handgun under Maryland law but a Firearm under Federal Law - that's my concern and question.

Edit: Well it looks like 'Black Aces Tactical 12ga' just made it on the handgun roster. That is a 'firearm' with a vfg and has a barrel <16". An XO26 clone might be g2g after all

452ad6_6523620c283640c2a01748719b36b7fd.jpg_srb_p_592_500_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srb

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Why 29"

From SB281: A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS AN OVERALL LENGTH OF LESS THAN 29 INCHES - it is not a rifle

That is pretty much what I am asking too. A pistol once it reaches over 26" and gets a vfg is no longer a pistol/handgun per Federal Law - It is a 'firearm' per the ATF. BUT MD law states "(2) Handgun' means a Firearm with a Barrel less than 16 inches in length"

So you would have a handgun under Maryland law but a Firearm under Federal Law - that's my concern and question.

Edit: Well it looks like 'Black Aces Tactical 12ga' just made it on the handgun roster. That is a 'firearm' with a vfg and has a barrel <16". An XO26 clone might be g2g after all

452ad6_6523620c283640c2a01748719b36b7fd.jpg_srb_p_592_500_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srb

Id like to see that fired "from the cheek".....

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Why 29"

Sorry meant 26" like the previous 5 times.
    (With the SBR OAL 29" is always on my mind):shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom