VEPR 54R - Legal to Remove Thread Cover?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tunasalad

Aug 27, 2013
    Hey -- I took a look around but couldn't find an answer. Sorry if these questions are silly or redundant. Better safe.

Thanks!

A) Can I buy a VEPR 54R and remove the barrel thread cover?

My understanding is that outside of MD, this would trigger 922R and I'd have to replace a few parts with American parts because this takes the gun out of the 'sporting' configuration it was imported in.

In MD, I don't know if taking the rifle out of sporting configuration triggers the 'no AK' provisions of the 2013 law.

Incidentally, I don't think there are any greater-than-10-capacity magazines available for the rifle at the moment.

B) Is this a correct interpretation of 922r for this rifle (thumbhole stock)?

1. Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
    2. Barrels
    Barrel extensions
    3. Mounting blocks (trunions)
    Muzzle attachments (not sure about this one -- does a threaded barrel count as a muzzle attachment?)
    4. Bolts
    5. Bolt carriers
    Operating rods
    6. Gas pistons (replaceable)
    Trigger housings

(trigger group)
    7. Triggers (replaceable)
    8. Hammers (replaceable)
    Sears (I'm not sure about this one -- is the trigger also a sear?)
    9. Disconnectors (replaceable)

(furniture)
    10. Butt stocks (replaceable)
    Pistol grips
    11. Forearms, hand guards (replaceable)

(magazine)
    12. Magazine bodies (replaceable)
    13. Followers (replaceable)
    14. Floorplates (replaceable)

So, if I replace the trigger group (3 parts), then I only have to replace one piece of furniture or use American mags.

Right?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Ask BATF, or whoever is responsible for enforcing this regulation. Mere mortals are reduced to quivering lumps of protoplasm when seeking to understand the wisdom of the legislature in these matters.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Here's a calculator which simplifies things a little:
    http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

In a nutshell, 922(r) kicks in when you modify the rifle outside of import-approved "sporting configuration". What matters is not how many parts you replace but how many imported parts remain. Just removing the thread protector wouldn't be changing the configuration, but adding a muzzle attachment in its place would. According to the BATFE, so would inserting an SGM magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds. The law was poorly written... intended for importer/manufacturers but applies to owners due to the unfortunate use of the word "assembly" which is legally vague.

In terms of MD law, the gun is either an AK or it's not. There is no "features" test for an AK. So modify away.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Here's a calculator which simplifies things a little:
    http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance
    Handy website. I use it all the time.

Just removing the thread protector wouldn't be changing the configuration, but adding a muzzle attachment in its place would.
    Disagree completely. Threaded barrel is a non-sporting feature on rifles. That's why the thread protectors are pinned. You pop the thread protector off, you have a rifle that needs to comply with 922r.

In terms of MD law, the gun is either an AK or it's not. There is no "features" test for an AK. So modify away.
    You are shortening the story considerably, and in so doing, giving dangerous advice. Duffy's sells "sporting configuration" AKs based on a decade-old MSP bulletin that allowed it. You change a post-ban VEPR to a non-sporting configuration, and you have a banned rifle you are no longer allowed to possess according to anyone's definition.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    You are shortening the story considerably, and in so doing, giving dangerous advice. Duffy's sells "sporting configuration" AKs based on a decade-old MSP bulletin that allowed it. You change a post-ban VEPR to a non-sporting configuration, and you have a banned rifle you are no longer allowed to possess according to anyone's definition.

Duffy's had a converted VEPR x54r on the wall at one point, post-ban. Not sure I agree with you here. Either it's legal or it's not--as long as it passes the folding stock/flash hider features test.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Two things at play here. Imported as a sporting rifle. If you change that, you trigger 922r and as long as you get the parts count right, OK under federal law to take out of sporting configuration. Been that way since the AWB sunset. While you're at it, grind out that thing in the magazine well that stops it from accepting double-stack mags.

Under MD law, it's an AK (or Dragunov or whatever) or it's not. Those rifles MSP has ruled on on their web site as "not" say the reason is "internal components are not interchangeable".

So I can't see how the muzzle device changes the issue if internal components are interchangeable or not.

If you took a bull barrel HBAR and changed it to a flash hider barrel HBAR, you still have a legal HBAR. Why would this not be the same? (I know, I am trying to make sense...) That becomes your one allowable evil feature, since pistol grips and bayonet lugs don't count.

For sure you would need to be 922r compliant (easy to do) and a little more shaky is if it stays "not" an AK or Dragunov under MD law but I just don't see an issue here...

Correct me if I am wrong here, meaning the internal parts ARE directly interchangeable with an AK or a Dragunov. I am just not that familiar with the rifle to know.

IANAL of course.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    You can remove the thread protector, you just can't add a flash hider.

So just leave it on.

Edit: didn't see that this was x54r. I'm not entirely certain regarding MD law and converting these. IIRC, the one I bought from Duffy's still had a thumb hole stock (Ironwood). I may have purchased it pre-FSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You can remove the thread protector, you just can't add a flash hider.

So just leave it on.

Edit: didn't see that this was x54r. I'm not entirely certain regarding MD law and converting these. IIRC, the one I bought from Duffy's still had a thumb hole stock (Ironwood). I may have purchased it pre-FSA.

Thumbhole stocks aren't an issue or one of the three dreaded "features".

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I know. But they are "sporter" features and these guns are imported with thumbhole stocks. Remove the thumbhole stock and it's no longer a "sporter," so I believe it IS an issue.

Ah, I understand your point now, and you are correct, removing the stock starts the 922 count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom