• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    Can you carry while you have liquor in the car? Not consuming just transporting.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Nah. Basically the law is the same as driving a car. You can carry but the content of you blood has to be below the driving levels. For maryland anyway.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    yer clear. dynamics change when you imbibe. unless, however, you have moonshine IN THE CAR, doomed!

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Nah. Basically the law is the same as driving a car. You can carry but the content of you blood has to be below the driving levels. For maryland anyway.

The law states you can't be "intoxicated" while carrying, however unlike your driving privilege, the law doesn't specify what "intoxicated" is. There is no test, no breathalyzer, no blood percentages that come in to play. The firearms law doesn't specify .08 like the motor vehicle law does.

Of course the officer can give their professional assessment and opinion of your condition and level of intoxication but that's it, no test required.

Carry and cocktail at your own risk but I have no issues with having a few sips at a business meeting and am perfectly legal in doing so.

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013

The law states you can't be "intoxicated" while carrying, however unlike your driving privilege, the law doesn't specify what "intoxicated" is. There is no test, no breathalyzer, no blood percentages that come in to play. The firearms law doesn't specify .08 like the motor vehicle law does.

Of course the officer can give their professional assessment and opinion of your condition and level of intoxication but that's it, no test required.

Carry and cocktail at your own risk but I have no issues with having a few sips at a business meeting and am perfectly legal in doing so.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    In the State of Maryland you better not have anything to drink while carrying unless it's water, coffee or soda. Just the smell of alcohol will start the S%^& and while the law governing "Wear Carry" and alcohol is vague, Do you want to spend the money to prove the point? Chris

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County

Don't know who told you that but it is absolutely incorrect. While carrying a firearm in Maryland you can not have so much as a sip of alcohol. You can hang out in a bar though or carry a sealed container of alcohol in a vehicle if you so desire.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I think I'll go to the local restaurant, switch from concealed to open carry, and have a beer with my meal. Perfectly legal in VA.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Being perfectly legal doesn't make it a very smart thing to do but to each his own. Having a beer with a meal while carrying doesn't sound like a danger as long as one sticks a "A" beer and not a few beers I think.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Don't know who told you that but it is absolutely incorrect. While carrying a firearm in Maryland you can not have so much as a sip of alcohol. You can hang out in a bar though or carry a sealed container of alcohol in a vehicle if you so desire.

Can you post the law for this?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Can you carry while you have liquor in the car? Not consuming just transporting.

Do you mean carry as in you are a Md Wear and Carry permit holder or do you mean "transport" like just driving to and from the range as a non holder?

Pretty sure as either, if you have unopened alcohol in your car that would be no firearms violation. Meaning, if it were open, it would be an open container/DUI alcohol while driving violation.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    No argument about it, you can not even take a sip of alcohol while carrying a firearm in Maryland.
    Please site the code.

A while back, Jack McCauley answered this question in depth and his answer was completely different than yours. Guess who's word I'll take?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    yer clear. dynamics change when you imbibe. unless, however, you have moonshine IN THE CAR, doomed!

Rule #1 when transporting Moonshine: Use a rental car.

Rule #2 Leave your guns at home. You don't want them being confiscated.

Rule #3 If a Sheriff's car approaches while you are transferring said moonshine into your rental car on the rear parking lot of a fire station in Bristol TN, they're just there to make sure you get some of the Strawberry flavored stuff.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Please site the code.

A while back, Jack McCauley answered this question in depth and his answer was completely different than yours. Guess who's word I'll take?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Might want to reexamine who you question, I happen to know the law that I teach in my classes.

That is probably why you are wrong, because you keep listening to the wrong people. As I said before, I have been doing this a day or two and I won't pass on information that I don't know to be fact. The statute I quoted should be proof enough for you. Stay in your lane and don't post what you don't know.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Certainly

Maryland Public Safety Code Ann. 5-314

A person who holds a permit may not wear, carry or transport a handgun while the person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

So when did a sip become "under the influence"?

You can easily cite the states DUI laws for what "under the influence" means. You can blow a .03 and not be under the influence according to MD and you aren't "presumed" to be under the influence until .08.

So how does a sip reach the level of "under the influence". If that was the legislative intent they would have indicated an exact and low BAC OR just word it "can not consume".

I get we are playing a bit of "legaleize" so to speak but it certainly isn't clear cut that you can't even have a sip.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Might want to reexamine who you question, I happen to know the law that I teach in my classes.

That is probably why you are wrong, because you keep listening to the wrong people. As I said before, I have been doing this a day or two and I won't pass on information that I don't know to be fact. The statute I quoted should be proof enough for you. Stay in your lane and don't post what you don't know.

Maybe if you post a copy of your law degree, we could clear this up. Being an instructor and claiming to know what you are talking about is not make it so. That is what I know. More over so I can get by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom