• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Larry Pratt (President of Gun Owners of America) spoke at on of my gun clubs last night. He had some encouraging news about Constitutional carry and National reciprocity. I'm surprised he didn't mention this breech.

According to ther news this afternoon, (IIRC) it wasn't discovered until sometime today, or at least that's when Uncle Sam let it become public knowledge.

Is there a list of affected agencies?

Potentially all agencies IIRC.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The records were hacked from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), aka the Feds HR department. So, if you ever applied to, work for, or used to work for Uncle Sam you are possibly exposed. Clearance data was also breached, so if you ever filled out a SF-86 you know how VERY exposed you might be.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    OPM covers a few different things, so i'm wondering if this actually has to do with clearances or if it's a different aspect of OPM that got affected and the clearance thing is coming from the agency description. sucks either way.

guess affected people will find out shortly when they start dropping letters to compromised people (seen THAT happen before)

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Well this sucks. Between the government health agency (Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Bantam earlier this year) being hacked and this, there's not much left on the privacy front for civil servants.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have never been one to subscribe to the thought that my security clearance would be viable G&S but that may now not be the case. Apparently OPM (the government agency who issues and maintains security clearances) has been hacked today. It is being reported that it is a massive breach of records, affecting all federal agencies, more importantly the personal information of those people holding the clearances. This spans much more than our social security numbers and dates of birth, the SF86 contains everything about me, my family, places of residence, personal contacts to verify my conduct, as well as place of employment. Its the most detailed document about ones life as possible, including current active security clearance. Personally, I believe this now places all security clearance holders, as well as family members, at a heightened risk of danger than the average citizen. The article can be found here:

http://news.yahoo.com/us-officials-massive-breach-federal-personnel-data-210302099--politics.html

I know at least one person with a clearance that used that as G&S and got a MD CCW based off of that... :innocent0

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    According to ther news this afternoon, (IIRC) it wasn't discovered until sometime today, or at least that's when Uncle Sam let it become public knowledge.

Potentially all agencies IIRC.

Here's a list of the top 10 fed hacks from last year: http://m.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2014/12/year-breach-10-federal-agency-data-breaches-2014/102066/

See item #4 mentions the OPM attack was first reported in July 2014. According to numerous articles in the news, although the story first broke in July (last year), the events happened in March 2014.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Some federal government we have when they can't even secure their info. Should be using Hillary's server.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Unfortunately, it gives Hillary a great talking point.

It's maddening how much cyber security training one needs to do each year in the federal gov't - for really basic do not do kind of stuff - and the guys that have the keys to the castle - meaning the head admins (which should include real cyber security experts) in the Federal Government managing records with reams of personnel info - screw the pooch on this one.

Have to give credit for Homeland Security actually detecting the intrusion and warning other gov't agencies.

As always, these screw ups, beyond exposing information that can be used identity theft or more, will mean that the rank-and-file will have to do even more useless cyber security training. Ugh.

And at some point, if this hostile act can definitely be pointed back to a specific nation state, when and how do we start retaliating to show our displeasure. Their nose needs to be bloodied. President Reagan would not stand for this kind of garbage - but even Obama, at some point, has to come to the realization that enough is enough.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Technically it is. Its rated as FOUO, which is a variant of unclassified. There are rules to what information resides where, the fact I have a clearance is not classified, when I start tagging information onto the end of that statement it then becomes an issue.

PII is just that, PII. It's treated differently than FOUO or SBU. This information should be on the high side, but it looks like it isn't.

It's maddening how much cyber security training one needs to do each year in the federal gov't - for really basic do not do kind of stuff - and the guys that have the keys to the castle - meaning the head admins (which should include real cyber security experts) in the Federal Government managing records with reams of personnel info - screw the pooch on this one.

Remember, OPM is a civilian agency, not DoD. Do you remember a few years back when DOI had their interwebz access pulled by a judge because they didn't lock down their web/database servers? DOI had NO FIREWALLS IN PLACE. The company I worked for at the time supported their print shop. We could directly connect to their desktops from our office in Fairfax to help support the software we sold them.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

E mail I got yesterday (right as the story broke) stated those affected will receive an e mail, a snail mail,18 months credit monitoring, and stolen id insurance plan between June 8-19th.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'll modify that and say also if you've ever traveled to a foreign country with advanced country clearance you're in the mix.

That used to be a point of discussion at dinners whenever OCONUS TDY.... "OK, who got their room searched today while we were working?". Happens very regularly (and I'm guessing that if I could tell that it happened 10% of the time, then it probably really happened 50% of the time). :rolleyes:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That used to be a point of discussion at dinners whenever OCONUS TDY.... "OK, who got their room searched today while we were working?". Happens very regularly (and I'm guessing that if I could tell that it happened 10% of the time, then it probably really happened 50% of the time). :rolleyes:

I've been to places that have been pretty overt. Hey, if they want to watch me shred one off at night in my room, let em. The short, black haired guys with tiny peckers can be jealous of my rod all they want.

Counter surveiling host country surveilers while they surveil your surveilers is always a hoot too. :thumbup:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    4 million people hacked?
    Out of how many .gov secret agent types?
    I'm just curious if its a little slice or a big chunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom