• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I have never been one to subscribe to the thought that my security clearance would be viable G&S but that may now not be the case. Apparently OPM (the government agency who issues and maintains security clearances) has been hacked today. It is being reported that it is a massive breach of records, affecting all federal agencies, more importantly the personal information of those people holding the clearances. This spans much more than our social security numbers and dates of birth, the SF86 contains everything about me, my family, places of residence, personal contacts to verify my conduct, as well as place of employment. Its the most detailed document about ones life as possible, including current active security clearance. Personally, I believe this now places all security clearance holders, as well as family members, at a heightened risk of danger than the average citizen. The article can be found here:

http://news.yahoo.com/us-officials-massive-breach-federal-personnel-data-210302099--politics.html

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    My thoughts exactly. Active clearances as well as all the information about myself and my family. I am not one to be paranoid but this one has me concerned big time. I just found out and its unnerving to say the least.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    If you hold a clearance and think a foreign country does not have any information on you, think again

Yes, they have info on you. I get that. However, they didn't have a COMPLETE record simply handed to them by an incompetent government.

Why have a clearance at the rate we're giving information away now?

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    One of the methods a foreign intelligence officer will use to exploit you and turn you is to threaten harm to your family. All of whom are outlined in detail on the SF86.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    My thoughts exactly. We have no idea who holds our information at this point. While extreme, ISIL or an ISIL sympathizer could very well have it in their possession, effectively making all of us targets.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Why is this info not on classified networks?

Technically it is. Its rated as FOUO, which is a variant of unclassified. There are rules to what information resides where, the fact I have a clearance is not classified, when I start tagging information onto the end of that statement it then becomes an issue.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    The news made me frown a good bit. Checking account drained for gun parts.........done!

All joking aside, I'm in the "secure" side of the issue and I do not have confidence in the way things are. As China, Russian organized crime, and everyone else gets more organized this will be more commonplace.

-Whitet

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I'm sure China would be happy to "leak" it to ISIS if they were willing to do some of their dirty work for them.

Ready to go live in a cave somewhere......

I don't think it's a big threat but the principal of it just drives me bonkers:mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom