• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunny1

Senior Citizen Member
    I received this from Associated Gun Club od MD today.

Thought I would share with you ..

On June 21, 2007 the Maryland State Police Licensing Division mailed a letter to licensed firearms dealers informing them that in addition to Form 77R Part 1 and Part 2, persons wishing to purchase a regulated firearm must now complete a new form designated Form 77R-3.

By signing this form, the purchaser authorizes the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, or any similar agency or department in another state to disclose to the Department of State Police any and all mental health information regarding the applicant. The authorization remains in force for 1 year unless the applicant submits a written request to revoke the authorization. There is nothing in the form to indicate that the Maryland State Police are required to comply with the request to revoke the authorization.

AGC is sending a Public Information Act request to Ms. Betty Stemley, Principal Counsel – Maryland State Police requesting information concerning the legality of the new 77R-3 form, and under what authority this form is being mandated.

A fax has also been sent to Congressman Ruppersberger’s office requesting information on whether or not this mandated release of medical records violates any federal laws.

In the interim, questions should be directed to the commander of MSP licensing 410-799-0191 x304. As always, remember to be polite and respectful

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    New form was at the Gov's Authority.

According to MSP in Jessup OMalley ordered the implementation of the new form.

The big question is now Does he have the legal authority to do so?

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Doesnt apply to me for this month since I got the Collector's status !

woot
    A paraphrase of decorated former u-boat captain and Protestant pastor Martin Niemoller’s words for today would sound like this: “In America, first they came for the handgunners, but I didn’t a have a handgun, so I did nothing.
    Then they came for the ‘assault’ weapons, but I didn’t have an ‘assault’ weapon, so I did nothing.
    Then they came for the fifty-calibers, but I didn’t have a fifty-caliber, so I did nothing.
    Then they came for the trap and skeet shooters, but I wasn’t a trap or skeet shooter, so I did nothing.
    Then they came for the hunters, and there wasn’t anyone left.”
    Laugh now while it’s still legally allowable. You soon won’t.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Anyone hear anything from AGC regarding the legality of the form and OMalleys decision to implement it?

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Anyone hear anything from AGC regarding the legality of the form and OMalleys decision to implement it?
    I fwd the following E-Mail
    On June 21, 2007 the Maryland State Police Licensing Division mailed a letter to licensed firearms dealers informing them that in addition to Form 77R Part 1 and Part 2, persons wishing to purchase a regulated firearm must now complete a new form designated Form 77R-3.

By signing this form, the purchaser authorizes the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, or any similar agency or department in another state to disclose to the Department of State Police any and all mental health information regarding the applicant. The authorization remains in force for 1 year unless the applicant submits a written request to revoke the authorization. There is nothing in the form to indicate that the Maryland State Police are required to comply with the request to revoke the authorization.

AGC is sending a Public Information Act request to Ms. Betty Stemley, Principal Counsel – Maryland State Police requesting information concerning the legality of the new 77R-3 form, and under what authority this form is being mandated.

A fax has also been sent to Congressman Ruppersberger’s office requesting information on whether or not this mandated release of medical records violates any federal laws.

I will distribute the MSP’s response when it is received.

In the interim, questions should be directed to the commander of MSP licensing 410-799-0191 x304. As always, remember to be polite and respectful.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    John H. Josselyn, Legislative Vice President
    Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    P. O. Box 20102
    Towson, MD 21284-0102
    410-296-3947
    mailto:John H. Josselyn<agcbalto@bcpl.net>
    http://www.associatedgunclubs.org

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    In the interim, questions should be directed to the commander of MSP licensing 410-799-0191 x304. As always, remember to be polite and respectful.

If this were a state like, oh I don't know....Virginia,an organzation like VCDL would have their members swarming the state police lines asking about the legal authority to implement this form. :innocent0

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Just an aside, they are having trouble meeting the 7-day deadline now, how the heck will they meet it with this in place. Especially dealing with a gargantuan bloated bureaucracy like there is at DHMH. I guess anybody with any kind of a treatment record at DHMH is going to get put in "delayed" status while MSP waits for a response from them. 'Cause I've worked on enough committees with people from there through the years, I know this much. Ain't no records being found and released in 7 days.

I also ponder, if this "similar agency" business they've worked into the form will include Veterans Administration records as well (shades of Clinton here). Which further leads me to wonder, how many returning Iraq vets from Maryland who might benefit from counseling will refrain from getting it now thanks to O'Horny and company.

My wife has worked in mental health clinics for 20+ years. I'm gonna ask her what kind of records she thinks this form will open on people. Can't right now though, she's in Delaware with her mom putting her Maryland dollars into those evil slot machines our benevolent legislature has kept us safe from.:rolleyes:

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    MSP are probably not too thrilled with this folks....lets be honest here.

Its probably going to be dropped into the folder with the other paperwork and no action taken...they just have too much work to do already.

Besides, the whole thing is wishy washy anyway with the way its written to allow the applicant to revoke the rights at any time anyway and the MSP would be forced to take no action unless they have already made a request in which case they would apparently be allowed to use anything found in that fishing expedition....lets be honest folks...this is really just a fishing expedition/CYA for OMalley....its not likely to actually do anything except stomp on the civil rights of law abiding citizens.....do you really expect this to make a difference in Crime?

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Soumds like a legal fund is needed

Sounds like a legal fund is needed and a gun friendly lawyer put on retainer to force these type of things into the Courts. Get a Judge to stop the process with an injunction (sp?) until the legal basis is determined. This would also get some press coverage.... as there is none now.

(I believe thats what the VCDL does.)

-Boxcab

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Sounds like a legal fund is needed and a gun friendly lawyer put on retainer to force these type of things into the Courts. Get a Judge to stop the process with an injunction (sp?) until the legal basis is determined. This would also get some press coverage.... as there is none now.

(I believe thats what the VCDL does.)

-Boxcab

K-Romulus.......do you know anyone up to the challenge?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Can't right now though, she's in Delaware with her mom putting her Maryland dollars into those evil slot machines our benevolent legislature has kept us safe from.:rolleyes:

I hope she doesn't buy anything tax-free while she's there and try to bring it back into the Free State thereby depriving sick orphans of milk.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    It's not just Maryland. I found out yesterday as of September 1 we will have a new 4473 as well.

So will that take the place if this.. I guess.. POSSIBLY temporary measure? Or will it just be one more sheet of paper on top of the 3 we already have to fill out? Jeez.... we need to do something. Let's start the MCDL or something.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    not really

K-Romulus.......do you know anyone up to the challenge?

I don't know that many private MD lawyers (if any), but will try to dig up the names that the "Newsletter Publisher Who Shall Not Be Named" once gave me.:o

I think one was Walter Booth. I will see what I can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom