• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvd600

Jul 29, 2011
    While I am a newbie to md shooters and also one to firearms, I felt it would be nice and informative to many to post a review about this establishment. Also so you guys know, I own a slightly similiar business to a Firing Range / Gun Store. I own a european auto performance shop, and the similarities are based on the fact we both deal with customers who are enthusiast of all skill and knowledge levels. People that are very passionate and spend a lot because of this passion.

Now to the review. At this point I have been to free state 3 times. It all started with a phone call. I had to call and confirm they were actually open until 10 pm (which i almost fell out of my chair when i read that ). After the quick call I made it a point to get out of the shop asap and head down there. I got there around 5 pm saturday and they were pretty busy. I was immediately acknowledged and asked to wait a few minutes while they process some people who arrived before me. During the wait i looked around a good bit and it is obvious they are a new company. However, I was impressed by the lay out. There is a pool table in the waiting area, and the facility is very clean. Also the details are very nice. It is easy to tell these guys put pride and thought into the facility. Things like hardwood floors, and spacious classrooms are often overlooked or taken for granted, but very aprreciated by me. Also they have a gun smiths work bench out in the waiting area, this is extremely cool to me, and I cant wait to watch something in action there.

Now, Terry found some time to greet me and our converstion started after an introduction and handshake. We chatted for a bit, and I made sure to tell him i was relatively new to the hobby and not to familiar with this world. He then took a great deal of time to show me around the facility, and even show me how to operate there very state of the art range. We took time to discuss the firearms I wanted, and his views on them, which were very informative. I immediately signed up for a years membership at this point. He also spent some time with me discussing options for my 870 to make it "range legal", as it had a pistol grip. We spent some time thumbing through a catalog and discussing pro's and cons of the different stocks i was interested in. At this point terry had to leave to help some customers, and Randy immediately slid in to finish up my ordering and answer my questions. In addition to the butt stock i also bought quite a few additional accessories.

My second visit was this past friday, the day I took delivery on my Colt Carbine AR15. I got out of my shop late and made it to Freestate around 9:30. As I am new to firearms I though it would be best to have it inspected. Despite the guys cleaning up to start closing, Bob came over and quickly disassembled to the weapon and proceeded to explain the mechanics of it to me. I did not intend to fire that night as it was too close to shut down time, however they insisted upon it. After a thumbs up by Bob, I bought some ammo (great price ) and was off into the range. Randy came out with me and there was another gentleman there who spent a great deal of time talking AR's with me (sorry the name escapes me) was there as well. Randy loaded my magazines so I could get maximum firing time, and they even stayed open later so we could continue firing. Also the next Saturday I showed up with a picatinny rail I ordered and they helped me install it free of charge.

I can go on forever, but based on statistics, most of you lost interest reading this a while ago lol. I want to close with this, being new to any hobby we all look for somewhere to be a part of. The way the folks at Freestate have treated me has earned them my business, respect, and friendship. I genuinely want to go back not only to fire off some rounds, but to also see my new friends there and annoy them with more noob questions. I highly reccommend anyone who has not been there go check them out. As new as I am to doing this, I have felt cold establishments too many times, this was a welcomed change of pace. Free State, keep up the good work!!!:party29:

notheoi

Jul 24, 2011
    Baltimore County, MD
    I'm in complete agreement with your assessment of Free State.

After reading a long thread about the opening of Free State, I decided to stop by, check it out, and meet Randy (who posts on this forum). I'm also new to the hobby, and while I may have shot a few handguns and shotguns in my 32 years, I don't yet own any firearms, and am looking to purchase my first handgun and home defense shotgun.

Since the store is very new, they didn't have too many options for rental, but Bob was nice enough to let me shoot one of his pistols (357 revolver), and Terry(?) let me shoot his Sig .40.

I'm actively seeking to purchase, so once I do, I'm definitely going to be spending some time at Free State. The wealth of knowledge, great business model, and awesome hours of operation (10am to 10pm, 7 days a week) make this one a no-brainer.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    RAI Motorsport

Nice, we might have to plan some range time to talk about guns/german cars. You guys helped me out on a project in my wifes rabbit with some vagcom work to get a custom sat radio install working. Very helpful staff.

rvd600

Jul 29, 2011
    Being on the other side of the table (the consumer) was different. It was also a eye opener after visiting several other places. I dropped more money than I would like to admit with another establishment, and even now my support from them feels a bit on the lacking especially now that Free State has set a high bar.

rvd600

Jul 29, 2011
    Nice, we might have to plan some range time to talk about guns/german cars. You guys helped me out on a project in my wifes rabbit with some vagcom work to get a custom sat radio install working. Very helpful staff.

glad to hear, it never will get old hearing things like that. We work so hard in customer service, and I will not lie, some cases i feel we could have done better, even though the customer did not have any complaint. To keep customer service in check here, I now pay for a service to get reviews from our customers. What i am getting at, is again while they are two totally different animals, cars and guns. Customer service should reflect that you are working with enthusiast. People that are spending hard earned money on something that is not essential. You have to be humbled and grateful for this.

Any time you you want to meet there let me know, I need little excuse to go up!

rvd600

Jul 29, 2011
    Thanks for the range report, all I seem to hear about FS is positive, Just wish they were closer to me..

so worth the drive. I am very lucky they are close to me! Also it is laid out in a way you can make a day of it, very relaxing environment.

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    Great review. Now what european import performance shop do you own :)

RAI Motorsport

if my jetta wasn't such a pos right now i would suggest a euro car meet.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I keep putting off getting up there. Largely because I don't have any non-magnetic .223 lol.

Where is your speed shop, OP? I'm thinking of doing some things to my SRT-6 and would much prefer a shop that specializes in modern eurobranded cars as opposed to the guys up the road who seem to like bolting things on to 80s Mustangs.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I have got to get up off my lazy backside and get in there again soon.

Attachments

• Garfield.jpg
      Garfield.jpg
      10.1 KB · Views: 878

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    My biggest regret regarding Freestate is not getting the membership the first time I went through the door.

I have been there a dozen or so times, met some great people and continue to enjoy myself. the fact that it is only 10 minutes from the house, priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom