• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    He's wrong about one thing...

Accepting the blame for the actions of morons not capable of safely using or owning weapons as a community.

Completely wrong. The actions of idiots should not and do not taint all gun owners. People who endorse that line of thought are experiencing a cognitive distortion of over generalization. What do the actions of someone who I don't even know, cannot control, and may not even hear about have to do with my behavior?

Does every murder or rape reflect badly on me too?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I would respectfully disagree with that statement as a whole Markp. While we as shooters have taken the stance of individual responsibility and accountability, unfortunately the general non shooting public has not or does not. They group us as one and think of us collectively and not individually.

If your line of thinking were in fact true for the majority of the non shooting public then we would not have the mentality of guns being bad, we would have the mentality of people who use guns to do bad things are bad. Unfortunately that is not the case and we must be diligent in our safety practices and not become complacent as so many others have with their gun safety as it does in fact make us all look bad.

While I personally believe the same as you do that because someone else is an idiot it does not make me an idiot, that is not the case in the general public.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Every time something stupid happens with a gun it looks poorly upon the community.

It might not be "right" but it's the reality. The anti's arent going to blame the USER for the error they blame the firearm and without the firearm it wouldnt have happened.

Sad but true.

Start talking to some random person who isnt a gun buddy about your firearms...and they are going to relate back to the news stories they heard and right away associate that with you.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    I agree with 3rdRcn and Name Taken.

The numbers are staggering!!!

Let's compare Guns with Cars.

This is shooting deaths in the US from 2010...6,009 total...this does not separate accidental from intentional.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

This is the auto related deaths from 1990 to 2009...2009 had 35,900 total
    http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s1103.pdf

Cars aren't considered evil because more people use them and their main purpose is not considered destructive or perceived as dangerous. You also don't have the media winding everybody up about automobile deaths as much as gun deaths.

Guns on the other hand...

Rational people should be 6 times more afraid of Cars than Guns...from a numbers standpoint.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    I would respectfully disagree with that statement as a whole Markp. While we as shooters have taken the stance of individual responsibility and accountability, unfortunately the general non shooting public has not or does not. They group us as one and think of us collectively and not individually.

If your line of thinking were in fact true for the majority of the non shooting public then we would not have the mentality of guns being bad, we would have the mentality of people who use guns to do bad things are bad. Unfortunately that is not the case and we must be diligent in our safety practices and not become complacent as so many others have with their gun safety as it does in fact make us all look bad.

While I personally believe the same as you do that because someone else is an idiot it does not make me an idiot, that is not the case in the general public.

This is also why it is incumbent on us to promote something as simple as proper terminology. It's a "magazine not a clip", it's a "firearm not a piece", we are "carrying for personal protection, not packing". Simple things such as this show us as a community in a much better light than using slang.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    This is also why it is incumbent on us to promote something as simple as proper terminology. It's a "magazine not a clip", it's a "firearm not a piece", we are "carrying for personal protection, not packing". Simple things such as this show us as a community in a much better light than using slang.

Also they should ban the use of the term "and the gun went off" when reporting on accidental shootings.:sad20:

It's sad, but I do think the actions of the few idiots reflect badly on all gun owners. Not because we willingly accept the fact, but because it's the perception of the rest of society.

It's a numbers game, not a logic game. Most people drink alcohol, but most aren't drunk drivers. When they see a news report of a tragic drunk driving accident they think "that idiot". Because, I drink and I'm not an idiot, don't blame the booze.

They see a report of a tragic firearm accident and think "wow, guns are dangerous".

It's why education is the key to ending this battle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom