• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    So I picked up two 30 round AK mags at the York show, and when I got home and took them apart to clean up the cosmo, I discovered that one of them has a dent in the side about 2/3 of the way down that prevents the follower from passing through and being removed. I haven't tried to see how many rounds it can still hold, but it ain't 30.

Anybody have any ideas as to what tools or methods could be employed to push this dent from the inside out - especially considering the follower and spring can't be removed? I don't really have a lot of resources to work with like many tools or a bench vise, so it'd probably take some ingenuity.

The only other thing I can think to do is to drill the dent out, since it's really very small. Not ideal, but it should work... and I guess it's not totally uncool to have ghetto-repaired AK stuffs.

Thoughts?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Without a vise and a solid insert to peen the dent out its unlikely you wil be able to do anything beyond drilling it. I dont think drilling will hurt is if you eliminate the burrs.

So I picked up two 30 round AK mags at the York show, and when I got home and took them apart to clean up the cosmo, I discovered that one of them has a dent in the side about 2/3 of the way down that prevents the follower from passing through and being removed. I haven't tried to see how many rounds it can still hold, but it ain't 30.

Anybody have any ideas as to what tools or methods could be employed to push this dent from the inside out - especially considering the follower and spring can't be removed? I don't really have a lot of resources to work with like many tools or a bench vise, so it'd probably take some ingenuity.

The only other thing I can think to do is to drill the dent out, since it's really very small. Not ideal, but it should work... and I guess it's not totally uncool to have ghetto-repaired AK stuffs.

Thoughts?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    The only thing drilling will do is make it so that mud and such can get into the receiver more easily. And no matter what people say, if your ammo is coated in mud/dirt/whatever, there's only so much room in the chamber, and if it's caked enough you'll have a jam--possibly a spectacular one at that.

try to get it peened out first, and if you have to drill it, don't use it for anything other than fair-weather days at the range to avoid problems.

capTIM

Carroll County Drunkard
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sykesville
    Depends on the dent. I just got a couple of mags from the PA show, that would bind when loading due to a dent. I disassembled the mag and with a large screw driver, pried the dent back out. If you pry from the bottom of the mag you may bend it, but that can be fixed with pliers. I haven't tried these mags at the range yet as I just got them yesterday, but thay move freely by hand and no more binding what so ever.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Awesome find, thanks!

They say it ships legal to all 50 dates - is there any gray area with this being 'assembling' or 'manufacturing' a hi-cap mag in MD if i use the other mag's internals?

Your fine if you destroy the old body, its considered a repair.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    you should be able to take it apart...either through the bottom or the top at an angle...it should be connected to the feeder lip with just the spring wire going through the bottom...i would just pull it through the bottom if its already dented you really arent out the body of the mag... once you pull the spring out get a piece of wood about the size of the inside of the mag and hammer it down through there...if it gets stuck hammer from the other side...JMO with out pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom