• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I am on a REALLY tight budget, but want something to do with my time. Saw this in a Cabela's catalog....watched a couple of youtube videos and I think I have found my entry into reloading.

I really only want to load one caliber. I know what everyone will say, but right now I only want to do .357 Magnum.

I don't have a huge workspace. I need something I can do on a small table in the garage.

I watched the videos and this looked pretty cut and dry. Figured I'd order one once I can scrounge up some extra money.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-Classic-Loader-Kit/733635.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D10000047%26Ne%3D10000047%26No%3

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Anything is better than nothing Joe!

Being a beginner myself, I'll let the more experienced guys weigh in...

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I am on a REALLY tight budget, but want something to do with my time. Saw this in a Cabela's catalog....watched a couple of youtube videos and I think I have found my entry into reloading.

I really only want to load one caliber. I know what everyone will say, but right now I only want to do .357 Magnum.

I don't have a huge workspace. I need something I can do on a small table in the garage.

I watched the videos and this looked pretty cut and dry. Figured I'd order one once I can scrounge up some extra money.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-Classic-Loader-Kit/733635.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D10000047%26Ne%3D10000047%26No%3

A Lee Loader is what I started with in the late 70's. I was only doing 06 at the time and when I did pistol I got a RCBS Rockchucker. With the Lee the only stipulation was whatever rifle you were loading had to go back into the same gun because it was only neck sizing. It was a slow procedure but very rewarding. At the time it worked great for my Mauser action. Good luck and enjoy!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    .38 and .357 are the classic gateway-to-reloading cartridges. You follow a well-trodden path.

You don't need much room at all. You can set up on a small table top or desk, and put everything away in a box when you're done.

That Lee Loader has loaded a lot of ammo over the years. It is all you need, a Minimalist Classic.

For a few bucks more, you could get the Lee single station press. Just bolt it to a small scrap of 2 x 6 , and fasten it to the table with a C clamp when you're ready to load. That's how I set up my Lee Turret press, when I first started loading .38 and .357. I had my complete set up in a walk in closet.

But that Lee Loader is fine. I do suggest you get the Lee hand held priming tool. You can prime cases while you watch tv.

Forgive me complicating things. Of course you'll eventually get more stuff. Just get that Lee Loader now! That's a great idea.

Maddie and the Wookie can get you more stuff for Christmas, birthdays, Father's Day, etc. You'll be the easiest guy around to shop for.

punchBIGholes

Nov 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    I have a lee set in 45 colt and thats how i started. its fun rewarding and cheap to do. It works great for wheel guns but eventually you will get the itch to step up to the next level and the tools in the lee kit have no use when a press shows up. Might want to consider a lee hand press and set of good dies. just an idea.

Lee Hand Press
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/410804/lee-hand-press?productNumber=410804
    Lee Carbide Dies
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/418312/lee-carbide-3-die-set-38-special-357-magnum

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I started with one but I was 18 years old and it was a long time ago . Would I recomend it ? NO HELL NO !!!!!!!!. Svae up and get some kind of press.

You really do get what you pay for !!!

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.

Congrats Joe, there's no turning back now!!!! I just started myself.
    Will a lee loader work for a 223 or a 40 cal ? i'm looking to start reloading myself .

Sure, you can get dies for just about any caliber you need.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I started out reloading for my .38 with one of those. It was tedious, but got the job done. Get one and with the money you save you will be able to upgrade to a higher volume setup pretty soon.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    First the transgunder thing and now this!!! You dont get any more primitive than that setup but that is pretty much what cowboys used a long time ago. Any press even the hand one will speed things considerably. Of course before you know it you will have a loadall for all of your shotgun gauges and dies for all of the calibers you shoot.

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I think a.press of some sort is a much better option, but if a lee loader is all you can afford it will let you shoot a lot more for the same amount of money.

If you really want to load cheap come on over and spend an afternoon on my deck casting bullets. Bring some scrap lead, wheel weights, melt it up, and pour some 158 gr round nose for cheap practice ammo.

When I cast my own bullets from.scrap lead I can shoot .38 cheaper then .22 rimfire.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    First the transgunder thing and now this!!! You dont get any more primitive than that setup but that is pretty much what cowboys used a long time ago. Any press even the hand one will speed things considerably. Of course before you know it you will have a loadall for all of your shotgun gauges and dies for all of the calibers you shoot.

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Ok I will donate a set of 38/357 dies and some cast bullets.

who has an old single stage press they dont use any more?

Lets help a brother out!!!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I started with one but I was 18 years old and it was a long time ago . Would I recomend it ? NO HELL NO !!!!!!!!. Svae up and get some kind of press.

You really do get what you pay for !!!

This. I loaded shot shells this way when I was a teenager. Go to yard sales and get a press.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Wow guys, way to come together!

This is what I love about this community.

I'll toss in a set of powder measures and build him up a loading block.

Joe, pm me about where to ship.

what else does he need?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Wow guys, way to come together!

This is what I love about this community.

I'll toss in a set of powder measures and build him up a loading block.

Joe, pm me about where to ship.

what else does he need?

Ill toss in last years hodgon book, primer pocket cleaner, chamfer tool and other misc. Items im not using.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Wow...you guys are awesome!!!!!

I would like to get into reloading at some point but would rather watch someone do it first just to see what I would be getting myself into haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom