• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I don't know where to post this but since all of my recent purchases have been C&R, I thought I'd do it here. In the last week, someone has tried to use my debit card in a Home Depot and Piggly Wiggly in Orlando, FL (even though my card was in my pocket) and someone tried to access my Wells Fargo home mortgage ebanking account. In all my years of being "electronic", this has happened only once and then only with a card that was known to be hacked. I have been buying a lot of ammo, etc from some less than "known" sites. Has anyone else had similar issues lately? And, no, I have never bought anything from Wideners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Wideners had their big scandal a few months ago. Myself and and several others on this forum had our info stolen after buying online from wideners.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I've had my cards/accounts compromised more than once over the years. It's a royal PITA and a pisser when it happens.

You might consider a prepaid Visa card with a finite $ amount on it to order online. That isolates any personal accounts and limits the impact of thieves.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    I've had my cards/accounts compromised more than once over the years. It's a royal PITA and a pisser when it happens.

You might consider a prepaid Visa card with a finite $ amount on it to order online. That isolates any personal accounts and limits the impact of thieves.

Yep. I think cityBank offers this on a per purchase basis.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    This is why I don't have any debit cards. They are easier to steal, have fewer legal protections, and draw money directly out of your accounts. Every time my banks try to give me a debit card I have to go rounds with them to cancel it and not issue another one.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    This is why I don't have any debit cards. They are easier to steal, have fewer legal protections, and draw money directly out of your accounts. Every time my banks try to give me a debit card I have to go rounds with them to cancel it and not issue another one.

Yes, especially for online purchases experts suggest not to use a debit card. Use a credit card since they have protection from unauthorized use. With a debit card, your account can be drained in very little time....

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I personally don't think it has much to do with your C&R or ammo... this stuff happens EVERYWHERE. At least once a year, my wife has to replace a card because of ID theft and I'm about every 2 years for this stuff.

Just the new world we live in, unfortunately.
    Best of luck.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I don't know if it is related to any C&R purchase or ammo purchase but my M&T Card number was compromised on Sunday. 5 different purchases in one hour for a total of $530. M&T emailed me on the three of them once they realized something was up. I cancelled the card and they are crediting back the money and investigating.

They were all NJ purchases....Dollar General, Rite Aide, Shop-Rite, and a wholesale liquor store.

I have credit cards but hate to have a balance on them and get anxiety when I have charges on them but I think I have to change my thinking.

CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)
    My wife's and my joint credit union account was "hacked" just last month. We only have one regular credit card that we use for online transactions. So far it hasn't been hacked.

The manager at our credit union told us that the thieves don't even need to have access to the card or use those remote readers on self-swipe terminals (gas pumps, etc) to steal the data. What they do is use a number generator to create fake cards with the correct prefix numbers and number sequences for the type of card emulated. They then try these fake cards in terminals until one works.

One thing that helped the bank identify the fraud was a very small transaction (approximately $1) followed in rapid succession by several high dollar purchases. All of the tx occurred in the Dallas, TX area. We've never been to Dallas.

Ivan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom