• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fcfc

Custom User Title
    May 30, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    Went up last night to shoot some trap with a buddy of mine. It's a "club" but on Wednesdays it's open to everyone. Everyone is real friendly and it's a nice relaxed place to hang out, shoot, and shoot the breeze.

It's $4/round of trap. They sell soft drinks and I think burgers and dogs as well.

My buddy and I are just getting into trap shooting so we don't have any "dedicated" long guns for it . . . just our Mossbergs :party29: He's got a 500 with a folding stock . . . mine is a 590 with tritium sight and AR style collapsable stock LOL Let's just say the guys at the club let us know what was up (in a friendly way of course). I heard everything from the guys: "When ya robbin' the bank?"

After shooting a round where my buddy hit 15 and I hit 2 . . . one guy says pointing to my friend that he should rob the bank and I should drive the getaway car LMAO :) 18" barrel, cylinder bore, no chokes . . . it was tough!!! I've done well at PG using their Berettas and I've hit 20/25 but last night was a poor, poor showing.

It's located up RT. 28 towards Point of Rocks . . . just stay on RT. 28 and you'll see it on your right . . . there are lights like a driving range.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Having the right tool for the job certainly makes a world of difference.

I have however, in the absence of a hammer used other things to pound nails.

MentalSquint

Can't Stomp Us Out
    Dec 6, 2007
    Frederick
    I went there a few times. Usually I go up to Myersville. Was really humbling putting my Spanish side by side and Ted Williams pump next to the Perazzis and Silver Pigeons.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Back in 83 I was a member of the ATA (Amateur Trap Shooting Association). They held the Tuscarora Corn Shoot. A weekend trap shoot, hundreds of shooters. They had spots for travel trailers that people stayed the weekend in, their own trailers.
    It was something to see a Good Ol'e Boy in a 68 rust bucket truck pull out his custom fitted $10,000.00 shotgun, hardwood case with velvet liner. Over Under, only Over and only Under barrel sets. Top gun was 200 target handicap shoots with dozens of Men & Women shooting off 2 and 3 more times. They had corn on the cob cooking in 50 gallon drums. That was trap Shooting heaven.
    I used to shoot at Anne Arundel Fish and Game, until the lawyer on the hill behind took them to court for noise pollution and all but shut them down.

jplum

Feb 3, 2008
    Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman Club has a trap shoot Tuesday evenings 5:30-9:00 also. If I remember right it is $3.50 a round.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    There are many trap clubs in Maryland. All offer shooting to the public. Most are run by older guys and therefore most clubs don't have web sites. For those who want to into trap shooting, but are apprehensive about jumping into the ATA environment, there are numerous leagues held from Fall through Spring. The Tuscorora crowd are a good bunch. Another really nice club is the Carroll County Club on Liberty Road just West of Eldersburg. If you are closer to Baltimore, there is nothing better that the Carney Rod & Gun Club. The real big shoots are now held in Millington. There are the larger clubs and there is a smattering of smaller ones scattered about the State. Glad to see younger pups getting into Trap. Welcome!

4xFord

Aug 11, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Ah yes, back in the "Olden days". I still have my shooting vest with the yellow ear of corn sown on from the "Tuscarora Corn shoot 1973" when Dad and I shot ATA. Back then I was Jr and Sub Jr. State shoot and camping at Thurmont, shooting, setting and pulling trap at AAF&G before and after the new traps were put up the hill. Dad and I went to em all including Vandalia. Lotsa good memories.

Back in 83 I was a member of the ATA (Amateur Trap Shooting Association). They held the Tuscarora Corn Shoot. A weekend trap shoot, hundreds of shooters. They had spots for travel trailers that people stayed the weekend in, their own trailers.
    It was something to see a Good Ol'e Boy in a 68 rust bucket truck pull out his custom fitted $10,000.00 shotgun, hardwood case with velvet liner. Over Under, only Over and only Under barrel sets. Top gun was 200 target handicap shoots with dozens of Men & Women shooting off 2 and 3 more times. They had corn on the cob cooking in 50 gallon drums. That was trap Shooting heaven.
    I used to shoot at Anne Arundel Fish and Game, until the lawyer on the hill behind took them to court for noise pollution and all but shut them down.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    to the OP - I am Laughing-
    one guy says pointing to my friend that he should rob the bank and I should drive the getaway car LMAO

I've days like that.

Frank S

Jul 28, 2014
    Ah yes, back in the "Olden days". I still have my shooting vest with the yellow ear of corn sown on from the "Tuscarora Corn shoot 1973" when Dad and I shot ATA. Back then I was Jr and Sub Jr. State shoot and camping at Thurmont, shooting, setting and pulling trap at AAF&G before and after the new traps were put up the hill. Dad and I went to em all including Vandalia. Lotsa good memories.

That was big fun, back in the century @ Tuscarora. Picnic tables, a big pavilion, ginormous salt & pepper shakers, and a big container of melted butter with a paint brush for slathering it on.
    And the Strawberry Shoot at Mount Airy in may with Strawberry shortcake.:thumbsup:
    I always was better at eating than shooting.

Wreckless

Mar 27, 2009
    Frederick
    Always wanted to try out trap shooting. Other than looking really odd, would a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip and collapsible stock be any good to use? I don't want to go out and buy a whole new setup just to "try it out".

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Always wanted to try out trap shooting. Other than looking really odd, would a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip and collapsible stock be any good to use? I don't want to go out and buy a whole new setup just to "try it out".

Don't see why that wouldn't work, but some places might have rules against that kind of set up. Keep in mind that you might have to get a normal fore end and a normal stock at those places.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I use my Rem 870. Most people dont care what you shoot as long as you shoot the right way (down range). Just be friendly, they know who is new to trap and who isnt.

Im up here in myersville and was thinking about going up this Thursday. If anyone wants to "meet up" I figured Id go shoot 3-4 rounds

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I shot trap yesterday afternoon at the AGC. Relaxed laid back atmosphere lots of good people there. Nobody looking down their nose at the gun you brought and they would offer tips and suggestions.

Frank S

Jul 28, 2014
    You're liable to see anything from a hand-me-down Stevens single shot, to a Ljutic stainless mono-gun in the same squad.
    The trapshooting community is a fun bunch, encompassing sub juniors to seniors. Some are intense, while others are just there to have fun.
    Some can do both very well.
    I'm not sure if it's the same as I remember it, as that was many moons ago.
    My father doesn't shoot nearly as often as he did 10 or 40 years ago, but he still enjoys the camaraderie, and has made friends that have spanned most of his life.
    Many of the men he shot with back in the day are gone, but certainly not forgotten.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    I'm just getting into the game and I've been shooting at Tuscarora with a friend on Wednesday for about a month and a half. All of the guys that I've met are fun to be around and offer some good tips to a new shooter. The only problems so far is that I find myself wanting to shoot more, and the new o/u that I just purchased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom