• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Picked up a couple of these and thought I'd share notes...

Basically, they work. I tested them in 3 different AK's: a Maadi, an M+M M10, and an O-PAP. Loaded to their 30 round capacity, they functioned fine in both the Maadi and M10. The bolt on the O-PAP hung up on the first/top round to the point that I was unable to charge the gun with the mag loaded to capacity. If I took a couple of rounds out, the O-PAP would charge and run just fine.

The PMAGs are a bit slimmer overall than the Tapco mags, and slid easily into each gun - in contrast to the Tapco that needed to be trimmed initially to fit in the M10. The fit of the PMAG was snug and they did not rattle around. Overall, I'd recommend them as an alternative to surplus, and I think they're better than the Tapco option.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Are these the magazines with the polymer feed lips? Read some belly-aching over that
    I think the bigger issue was with the locking lugs, rather than the lips. Supposedly the gen2's will have steel reinforcement, which is probably the best compromise. I have many steel mags, and while I prefer them in a SHTF scenario, I'm not so sure what's worse - having my PMAG lug shear off after a rifle drop (rendering the mag useless but not the rifle), or having a steel lug bent up in the receiver (and probably requiring me to find a tool to pry it out of the gun)?

Easiest solution is to use a sling :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The irony is that it seems like more armies are shifting to polymer non-reinforced mags because 1) they're cheaper and 2) who cares if you break one, they're disposables anyways. Magpul made the right call when they put out the non-reinforced version first. (The reinforced ones will supposedly be available by the end of the year.)

All of my AK mags are steel, though, because Uncle Sugar isn't paying for replacements. :)

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The irony is that it seems like more armies are shifting to polymer non-reinforced mags because 1) they're cheaper and 2) who cares if you break one, they're disposables anyways. Magpul made the right call when they put out the non-reinforced version first. (The reinforced ones will supposedly be available by the end of the year.)

All of my AK mags are steel, though, because Uncle Sugar isn't paying for replacements. :)

Polymer mags are nicer to carry if you're issued a milled receiver AK in lieu of six steel mags. :cool:

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I have a few but haven't tried them out yet. They seem pretty sturdy despite being all plastic. Time will tell.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I still like steel and 10s but I'll try a Magpul mag or two when the reinforced version comes out.

Toth Tool has a steel reinforced poly mag now too. Structurally different from a Circle 10 but counts towards 922r and provides more competition. Just nice to have domestic options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom