• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmaurath

Jul 7, 2011
    Maryland
    for those that have ultra sonic cleaners, what type/brand do you have? Any recommendations for where to get one?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    for those that have ultra sonic cleaners, what type/brand do you have? Any recommendations for where to get one?

It may not help your situation, but I have a Lyman that I got from Green Top in VA. It hasn't let me down yet but it is only a little over a year old.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Harbor Freight makes a decent one. Wait for a sale and use the 20% coupon if you can.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    We used sonic tanks when I was in the Navy. Ours were big enough to clean a pile of weapons real fast. They are great. The tanks we had used a solution that was "green" and the solution was hot. 20 minutes in the tank and all we needed to do was dry with compressed air, lubricate and reassemble. Amazing timesaver.
    Before that we used the sonic tanks, we used diesel, pine oil and hot water.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I have the harbor freight one and its exactly the same as the lyman. I use either slip 2000 carbon killer or Piston Kleen on my Glocks and Ar-15 parts. I use heat and let it soak a few hrs and it comes out clean. Rinse it off. blow it off and oil it and good as new. Both cleaners are reusable.

Ken

fangtastic

Apr 25, 2008
    I took a gamble and purchased one of the many chinese industrial 'crest' style sonic cleaners on ebay. Got it for a bit over 100$ if i remember correctly. Works pretty well and hasn't broken yet on probably over 100 cleanings. However, I do still have to manually scrub off stubborn deposits, and it'll never get a bore 100% clean.

I run a full gallon of mpro7 gun cleaner in it and filter it out when i'm done cleaning. It's best to use a ultrasonic cleaner filled with lubricant after the gun cleaning step, as bare metal can rust up quick in the nooks and crannies. Otherwise as someone else mentioned, a good parts dryer is compressed air, oven, or a food dehydrator.

You also have to be aware of the solutions you use in ultrasonics. Some liquids like simple green is rumored to make aluminum brittle or weak, and a ultrasonic will just speed up the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom