• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I have had a 590A1 for a few months but haven't shot it yet. Just cycled it a bunch of times with dummy shells.

Well I planned to take it to the range this weekend and did a quick function check and discovered I really had to slam the forearm back to get a shell to release onto the carrier. I don't remember having to slam it that hard so I broke it down and took a closer look.

It appears the shell stop is bending too far in and the part of the action bar that is supposed to push the stop towards the receiver has been damaged.

I googled pics of the shell stop and I couldn't find a real good picture but mine has a pin where the ones I saw didn't have this.

I plan to give Mossberg a call and see if they will send me a replacement shell stop and action bar.

So my questions are:
    Does my shell stop look normal with that pin in the middle?
    Is it common to have to tweak the shell stop (bend it)?
    Can I just replace one action bar or does it come as an asembly?

It's very weird that it worked fine and without shooting it or even dissembling it, the problem developed. I guess it might have been slightly out of spec and the parts were damaging each other slowly...

What do the experts think?

Attachments

• IMG_1475.JPG
      IMG_1475.JPG
      77 KB · Views: 772
    • IMG_1476.JPG
      IMG_1476.JPG
      41.8 KB · Views: 587
    • IMG_1477.JPG
      IMG_1477.JPG
      30.2 KB · Views: 657

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Both of those parts need to be replaced. Mossberg will likely send them for FREE if you email them those photos.

The problem is not the way its supposed to function.

Yes the pump arms are part of the pump assembly so its one part normally.

You may need to lube that shotgun betterm

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Let me pull mine apart tonight. I've never felt anything close to that with mine.

Thanks.

Both of those parts need to be replaced. Mossberg will likely send them for FREE if you email them those photos.

Thank you for the info. I hope you're right about free replacement parts.

The plan was to break it down, clean and lube it for the range trip when I noticed the issue. I sprayed the parts down with Ballistol and wiped the shipping grunge off to get a better look. The parts are pretty dry so it does need a better lube job.

I've got a bottle of Slip2000 I can try since the Balistol doesn't seem to work as well on parkerized finishes.

I don't have much experience with that finish. Should I hose it down and let it soak awhile, then wipe off the excess?

Do you have a side saddle on this shotgun?

No side saddle. It's bone stock.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks.

Thank you for the info. I hope you're right about free replacement parts.

The plan was to break it down, clean and lube it for the range trip when I noticed the issue. I sprayed the parts down with Ballistol and wiped the shipping grunge off to get a better look. The parts are pretty dry so it does need a better lube job.

I've got a bottle of Slip2000 I can try since the Balistol doesn't seem to work as well on parkerized finishes.

I don't have much experience with that finish. Should I hose it down and let it soak awhile, then wipe off the excess?

No side saddle. It's bone stock.

I would consider the Slip 2K or something else. Ballistol is not a good stand alone lube IMO. I use it for cleaning & protection in regards to my guns that see corrosive ammo. Outside of a bolt gun use, there are much more effe tive lubes that cost less.

I use synthetic motor oil and grease on everything.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I use synthetic motor oil and grease on everything.

A buddy was having issues with his 1911 and he was using a unknown brand of lube. I cleaned/degreased the crap out of that 1911 and then used Mobil 1 Synthetic on all the lubrication points. That thing felt like a million bucks and doesn't have FTF/FTE issues anymore.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    A buddy was having issues with his 1911 and he was using a unknown brand of lube. I cleaned/degreased the crap out of that 1911 and then used Mobil 1 Synthetic on all the lubrication points. That thing felt like a million bucks and doesn't have FTF/FTE issues anymore.

You MUST be lyin'. UNPOSSIBLE!

;)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You MUST be lyin'. UNPOSSIBLE!

;)

:lol:

After taking care of the 1911, I showed him how to properly lubricate his AR. He hates me now, because of the KISS info you have shared with your students, in regards to lubrication. He saw the AR I built with you in Chad Force One. He is highly pissed that I am building AR's, based off of your methods, that are flawless. That bastage wants me to build him a precision AR, using a forged upper.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

So I finally got around to contacting Mossberg and they promptly sent out a replacement slide assembly, cartridge stop and interrupter free of charge. Installed the parts, lubed her up and she's good to go :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom