• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    So we are all aware of the single stack 9mm craze that is currently going on. This will only be amplified by the release of the Glock 43.

However while considering these options, the thought popped into my head, why bother? Sure these firearms present an option for the smallest 9mm semi auto handguns on the market which has some appeal, but wouldn't most people in general be better served by some slightly larger alternatives?

So I did some research and found a few alternatives which mostly seem to be overlooked by many.

Now for the purpose of this thread I will be focusing on 9mm options due to their popularity, though feel free to discuss other caliber/firearm types (revolvers) in the thread.

Also I will be excluding the Glock 26 from this list since it falls a bit short with its 10 round magazine capacity compared to the 12/13 round magazine capacity of the options I am about to list.

Listed in no particular order: (unless otherwise noted, specifications are from the manufacturers website)

Sig Sauer P320 Subcompact 9mm
    Overall Length: 6.7 inches
    Overall Height: 4.7 inches
    Overall Width: 1.1 inches
    Weight With Empty Magazine: 24.9oz
    Barrel Length: 3.6 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 12 rounds
    Starting MSRP: $628

FN FNS-9 Compact
    Overall Height: 5.2 inches (from wikipedia)
    Overall Width: 1.35 inches (from TTAG's review)
    Weight Empty: 23.4oz
    Barrel Length: 3.6 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 12 rounds (17 rounds optional)
    Starting MSRP: $599 (From TTAG's review)

Smith and Wesson M&P 9c
    Overall Height: 4.3 inches (S&W archived product page)
    Overall Width: 1.2 inches (S&W archived product page)
    Weight Empty (no mag): 21.7oz
    Barrel Length: 3.5 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 12 rounds
    Starting MSRP: $569

Springfield Armory XDM 3.8 Compact
    Overall Length: 6.75 inches
    Overall Height: 4.75 inches
    Overall Width (Grip): 1.18 inches
    Weight (With Empty Mag): 28oz
    Barrel Length: 3.8 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 13 rounds (19 optional)
    Starting MSRP: $669 (From TTAG's review)

Chart comparing various single stack 9mm options:

9mm-comparison-21.jpg

Glock 43 Specifications
    Overall Length: 6.26 inches
    Overall Height: 4.25 inches
    Overall Width: 1.02 inches
    Weight Unloaded: 17.95oz
    Barrel Length: 3.39 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 6 rounds
    Starting MSRP: $589 (From Guns.com article)

Thoughts?

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Have you concealed carried a full sized pistol for more than 8 hours? There's a reason people want a smaller, easier to conceal pistol with a service round level caliber. Even compact pistols start to wear on you after a few hours. There's a lot of reasons why I'm carrying a PF9. It's small, narrow, and there's good SD 9mm ammo for it.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Have you concealed carried a full sized pistol for more than 8 hours? There's a reason people want a smaller, easier to conceal pistol with a service round level caliber. Even compact pistols start to wear on you after a few hours. There's a lot of reasons why I'm carrying a PF9. It's small, narrow, and there's good SD 9mm ammo for it.

Full size pistols are not part of this discussion. The comparison is between compact and sub compact pistols.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    XDM 3.8 compact is perfect balance of size and mag capacity for my needs.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I can concealed carry all day long, if I carry in my back pocket. That means that the dimensions of the gun come into play, especially height! There's only one so far that meets the height requirement for back pocket carry that can be drawn easily: the SIG P938 at 3.9 inches. The 6 round flush magazine fits in the pocket. The 7 round with the extended grip is too tight to draw comfortably.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I can concealed carry all day long, if I carry in my back pocket. That means that the dimensions of the gun come into play, especially height! There's only one so far that meets the height requirement for back pocket carry that can be drawn easily: the SIG P938 at 3.9 inches. The 6 round flush magazine fits in the pocket. The 7 round with the extended grip is too tight to draw comfortably.

Not really discussing pocket carry. This thread is more about standard carry options with a holster.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    The LC9s Pro is one of the best values on the market. Krazy accurate and Krazy cheap for the accuracy and reliability. Conceals nicely in most any attire.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Can't discuss compacts and subcompacts without including the most popular on the market, the G26/27. You might give up 2 rounds with a flat mag over most of the others(there are factory extended 12rd mags), but the grip is shorter than all the other doublestacks, and all but 1 of the single stacks. The high cut, low bore axis and low slide make the most of that grip length, and control muzzle rise better. With X-grip sleeves and G19/23 mags you end up with 5" in height for 15/13 rounds beating all the others, and a rounder heel shape easier to conceal, and arguably more comfortable than the 19/23compact models. The raw numbers only tell part of the story, carry it, and you might end up loving or hating a pistol requardless of others opinions, so much has to do with subtle features and shapes.

I've come to love my G27G4, used to carry different pistols in different ways depending on weather, but this is the first versatile enough to be ideal year round for me. With a flat base mag(GAP floorplates) it can be pocket carried, although just barely, however it practically disappears IWB. Under a jacket in cooler weather, or when concealment isn't as much of an issue I use the X-grip and larger G23mag IWB or OWB open, more comfortable, easy to shoot, still relatively small.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full size pistols are not part of this discussion. The comparison is between compact and sub compact pistols.

Yes, I know. What I'm saying is even compact, double-stack pistols are a pain in my side when carried for long periods of time. Which is why I carry a small, single-stack 9mm.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Yes, I know. What I'm saying is even compact, double-stack pistols are a pain in my side when carried for long periods of time. Which is why I carry a small, single-stack 9mm.

How does federal law enforcement deal with their ~fullsize duty pistols which they carry all day long, typically in suits? Do they know something we don't.

Nothing in the Original Post indicated so. Pocket carry is what works for me if it's going to be all day long. My apologies for sharing that.

Thought the firearms mentioned made that obvious. Since the 938 is the only one that come close to being pocketable.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    If I need to bump up the capacity, I'll go with the SIG P228:

Sig Sauer P228 Compact 9mm
    Overall Length: 7.1 inches
    Overall Height: 5.4 inches
    Overall Width: 1.5 inches
    Weight With Empty Magazine: 29.1oz
    Barrel Length: 3.9 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 13 rounds
    Starting MSRP: $800

It's not that far off from the subcompacts listed above.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    XDM 3.8 compact is perfect balance of size and mag capacity for my needs.

I have both a XDs and a XDm compact. While the nominal difference in size is small, for carrying comfort the difference is considerable. When it comes to shooting otoh, the m is way ahead of the s.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If I need to bump up the capacity, I'll go with the SIG P228:

Sig Sauer P228 Compact 9mm
    Overall Length: 7.1 inches
    Overall Height: 5.4 inches
    Overall Width: 1.5 inches
    Weight With Empty Magazine: 29.1oz
    Barrel Length: 3.9 inches
    Magazine Capacity: 13 rounds
    Starting MSRP: $800

It's not that far off from the subcompacts listed above.

It's a brick in comparison.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    It all depends on the size of the person carrying and the climate/dress of the person. For OWB carry, it makes little difference. The length of the pistol is more important when carrying OWB. For IWB, you have to consider than a 1/2 inch makes a huge difference with the addition of a harness to the thickness of a gun. I have both the M&P9 and 9c and to be honest, there's not much of a difference. The grips of the 9c is a little shorter, but the thickness is the same as the full size 9.

Specifically, in MD, the issuance of carry permits is nearly zero, so if someone were to gamble and carry, you would want the smallest most compact capable weapon you can get.

All that being said, and I know this is a different price range as the pistols listed above, but I love my Springfield EMP in 9mm. It's light, holds 10 rds(9+1) and is compact. It is by far my favorite handgun, but consider I do not own a Glock. :) I do plan on getting a G19 and I could see that becoming my carry weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom