• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    Looking into suppressing a Beretta 92. Any recommendations on who does good barrel threading for suppressors?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Send it to Gem Tech, they aren't the cheapest, but they do it right.

It's a fine line between threading it far enough and too far. If they cut the threads to far then when the slide is returning to battery it can make contact with the suppressor doing 2 things, damaging the suppressor and damaging the slide.

The 92 dosen't need the LID to function correctly, they will run un-boosted just fine.

What can are you thinking?

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I ran across this site when I was looking into getting my RRA 9mm barrel cut and threaded. I remember reading postitive things about them.

http://www.tornado-technologies.com/services.html

That's where a buddy of mine sent his 10/22 barrel (.920 heavy) to get threaded. Pretty quick turn-around and a very good threading job. Fits my TAC65 perfectly. (He hasn't actually gotten his can yet, but got the threading done as motivation to get started)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    A Beretta 92 is an excellent choice for a suppressor host. The locking block design instead of the browning tilting bbl design makes a reliable platform for heavy pistol suppressors ( over 1.3" diameter) and can be made to function without recoil boosters aka LID/Nielsen devices. ( Using a reduced power recoil spring is popular in Sweden and UK - where cans are legal, to solve cycling issues)

Threading barrels is easy, send out stock bbl to Gemtech,Tornado- tech, Noveski ( pricing will vary from $75-130) others dont guarantee that the threads are concentric. I would personally go with Gemtech, they request that you send them the slide as well to prevent threading the bbl too much which will result in the slide hitting the can during cycling. Spend the extra cash and avoid misalignments/ baffle strikes to your expensive suppressor.
    The best 9mm cans out there are: #1 SWR trident-9, #2 HTG Cycle-9, #3 AAC-evolution 9. All are dry suppressors and very quiet. Gemtech trinity's are kinda noisy. YHM and other brands are good but have problems with first round pop. SWR Trident 9 has been re designed recently, they are heavier than the first version. SWR recommends using a Linear Cycling device when used with a Beretta 92. (1/2 x28 TPI LCD). Personally I would go with an SWR Trident 9 w/ LCD. Ammo try to get some 158 grain Prvi Partisan FMJ- subsonic rounds. This is the closest thing to Hollywood quiet in a suppressed centerfire pistol.

Featured below is a Beretta wearing a SCI ( WOR4 model B)tacrail, taclight, red dot and suppressor.

Attachments

• SOCOM2tacrail.jpg
      SOCOM2tacrail.jpg
      7.6 KB · Views: 1,287
    Last edited:

Rugbier

Jul 19, 2010
    MD
    sorry to revive and old thread

Long time lurker, just signed up to post.

I have a 92FS with a SAS can. ( wet can )

I seem to have a problem cycling ( eject the empty shell )

I use Winchester SuperX 147gr.

Any Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Your can may be a bit too heavy to cycle the slide without a neilsen recoil device. A lighter recoil spring should resolve that issue.

Just make sure to change it out to the standard spring when firing the gun unsuppressed.

Rugbier

Jul 19, 2010
    MD
    Your can may be a bit too heavy to cycle the slide without a neilsen recoil device. A lighter recoil spring should resolve that issue.

Just make sure to change it out to the standard spring when firing the gun unsuppressed.

Thanks for the reply.
    I believe the standard is 13lbs, any suggestions on how light?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Almost everyone runs 1/2-28 on their 9mm Berettas, why the metric LH threads?

Looking at a few other pistols I have and plan to buy, the metric threads would be more common for me. Then again I haven't bought a can yet and I'm looking at an AAC Ti-RANT which has the interchangeable pistons so I could use either threading.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Almost everyone runs 1/2-28 on their 9mm Berettas, why the metric LH threads?

Most European pistols use the 13x1LH Metric thread pattern. ( HK, SIG)
    The threads also tend to keep the can tight on the pistol, as the rifling twist causes them to tighten up.

I has Tornado Technologies thread my M9 barrel 13.1LH to make it compatible with the Trident that I use for my HKUSP9SD

Last edited:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Most European pistols use the 13x1LH Metric thread pattern. ( HK, SIG)
    The threads als tend to keep the can tight on the pistol, as the rifling twist causes them to tighten up.

I has Tornado Technologies thread my M9 barrel 13.1LH to make it compatible with the Trident that I use for my HKUSP9SD

There we go! I love SIG and wouldn't mind having a USP 9 SD as you have. I am also eyeing an M&P 9, and the factory threaded barrel is metric as well...

1/2x28 makes sense for .22/223, AFAIK.

Rugbier

Jul 19, 2010
    MD
    My 92FS is 1/2-28 ( actually every firearm I own that is threaded has that pattern ).

As for a spare barrel, I have a spare non threded, if you are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom