• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ak74u

Nov 5, 2015
    St.Leonard
    I was looking to build an ar pistol but not sure what I have to do in MD paperwork wise. Does anyone know what lowers/makes are approved on the handgun roster?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I was looking to build an ar pistol but not sure what I have to do in MD paperwork wise. Does anyone know what lowers/makes are approved on the handgun roster?

Stripped lowers are sold at gun stores on the 77R, meaning that they are considered a regulated firearm. Do not mention that you are going to build a pistol, because the FFL might ask for an HQL. You fill out the 77R an a 4473, then you wait until the 8th calendar day to pick it up from the FFL.

Stripped lowers are not on the handgun roster, because they do not need to be, because they can be built into a rifle or a pistol.

As long as you are building an HBAR (rifle) or a pistol from your stripped AR lower, you will not run afoul of MD law.

Once you have the lower at home, proceed to build it how you want it.

Be sure to buy your lower from an IP on MDS. Look at the Industry Partner section on the main page of the forum, then find one that is close to you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or at least build your Pistol as you wish, consistant with Federal law , ie avoid front pistol grip.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just make sure the transfer description for that lower doesn't say rifle.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Figure out what caliber you want to build too. Ar-15 lowers are regulated so you got your 8 day wait. I'm workin on a dedicated 9mm lower and it was cash and carry. If your feeling a lil crazy you can do an ar-10 pistol but that is a whole nother animal right there. If you need help hit me up I'm in the same area. We are practically neighbors.

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

What caliber are you wanting to build? This will be a determining factor as to what paperwork (if any) you will need.

Good Luck!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    AR pistol is loads of fun. Think about a blast deflector for that short barrel.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Considering AR pistols weren't even legal in MD a few years ago, it's a good time to build one. No harder than building an AR rifle. I like the blast and the concussion at an indoor range. It's liking setting off flash bangs in your booth. Always turns heads and everyone wants a turn.

slowz32

Dec 3, 2014
    Mt. Airy
    Some shops list a stripped lower as rifle. Find a new shop if they say that. Make sure its marked "o" for other and you are gtg

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Considering AR pistols weren't even legal in MD a few years ago, it's a good time to build one. No harder than building an AR rifle. I like the blast and the concussion at an indoor range. It's liking setting off flash bangs in your booth. Always turns heads and everyone wants a turn.
    They have been legal to build on your own, just not legal to buy or sell one.

BP728

Nov 7, 2014
    So when building an AR pistol it does not have to be compliant with the HBAR law since it will not have a stock, but a buffer on the pistol, correct? An AR pistol can be built basically like a SBR but needs to have a buffer instead? Is that valid??

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    So when building an AR pistol it does not have to be compliant with the HBAR law since it will not have a stock, but a buffer on the pistol, correct? An AR pistol can be built basically like a SBR but needs to have a buffer instead? Is that valid??

Basically. Yes, you should have a pistol buffer tube. And of course, no stock.

The biggest difference is there is no OAL rewuirement with pistols. You can use whatever length barrel you want.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Correct. Any barrel profile is fine. And no stock - a pistol-specific buffer tube is the simplest answer.

BP728

Nov 7, 2014
    Correct. Any barrel profile is fine. And no stock - a pistol-specific buffer tube is the simplest answer.

Basically. Yes, you should have a pistol buffer tube. And of course, no stock.

The biggest difference is there is no OAL rewuirement with pistols. You can use whatever length barrel you want.

Wow.... what an a$$ backwards law requiring a hbar on a carbine length AR15 . Thank you for solidifying my understanding. I just got my first handgun finally, maybe ill look into building an AR pistol or rifle.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wow.... what an a$$ backwards law requiring a hbar on a carbine length AR15 . Thank you for solidifying my understanding. I just got my first handgun finally, maybe ill look into building an AR pistol or rifle.

Just be advised. ARs that start out as rifles, can not become pistols. An AR that starts out as a pistol, can become a rifle, and returned back into a pistol, if you so desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom