• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    All,

I need some advice for a rimfire scope and I know you all can help. The host is a Zastava CZ99 bolt gun. Its wood/blued and very classicly styled so I want something that is either matte or gloss and that matches the gun. Not interested in huge turrets and the like. Ideally I would like either 2-7 or 3-9 power. I had in mind to spend $100, but I could go as high as $150 if it got me a lot more scope. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    I have a Mueller on my 10/22 and it's worked great for the 5+ years that it's been on. It is very accurate and built tough.

TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    Is that the one with adjustable focal range? I heard some good things about that one too.

TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    How crucial is having AO? I've shot lots of rifles and lots of .22's but I honestly hadnt heard much about it's importance until I started looking into this scope purchase. My guess is this rifle will see most of it's shots from the 25-50m mark, but I do like bench shooting out to 100, 200 max.

OmaaOu

Oct 13, 2015
    NEB
    I've found that choosing a scope can often take a lot of trial and error. It takes time to test out what really works for your gun. But, on a limited budget, I will agree that this Nikon is a good deal. It is also a quality scope for what you want.

Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40. Great scope for any 22 rifle. Huge light transfer, waterproof/fogproof, zoom, holds zero forever, online BDC calculator...the list goes on.

$129.99 on sale right now at Dick's:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11853849

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    How crucial is having AO? I've shot lots of rifles and lots of .22's but I honestly hadnt heard much about it's importance until I started looking into this scope purchase. My guess is this rifle will see most of it's shots from the 25-50m mark, but I do like bench shooting out to 100, 200 max.

AO is very useful at long range, say 300yds or more, for dialing out major parallax error. In the price range you're asking about, focus on quality glass and mechanicals, not AO. If the scope you end up with is optically or mechanically inferior, AO is pointless.

Since the Prostaff keeps coming up, keep in mind it's made in the Philippines at the same factory that makes various low-end scopes for other brands. It's not a screaming bargain for what you get. That aside, 40mm glass is overkill (and heavy) for a 22LR rifle.

If you're willing to up your budget $30, you can get a Redfield Revolution or Leupold Rifleman. Both made in USA with Leupold's lifetime warranty. Both have excellent eye relief.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have a BSA Sweet 22 scope on my 10/22 I shoot IR 50/50 Benchrest Matchs with. It shoots great. I bought it from Dicks. Good Luck. Phipp

I second the BSA Sweet 22

Adjustable parallax is very important if you are going to shoot at different distances.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Most rimfire scopes have fixed objective for 50 yards. If you going out to 100 yards or more with a 22, I think you should consider AO. It makes a difference.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    Guys,
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. Based on everything, I've narrowed the huge field of options down to the following:

Redfield battlezone 2-7 (about as tactical as I'll go for this rifle) $150

Weaver rimfire 2.5-7 $150

Nikon prostaff rimfire 3-9 $120

Vortex crossfire II 2-7 $115

The bsa and mueller are just a bit much for this rifle. I want to keep it in line with the classic look of the gun. Final thoughts/suggestions on these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom