Electronically controlled trigger on a MG?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I know that an electronically controlled trigger is a no-go on a semi-auto because the possibility exists of the firearms technology branch of the ATF messing with the electronics until it fires continuously.

Anyone care to speculate on a registered MG being re-fit with an electronic trigger? I don't think it can be any more of a machine gun than it already is. Thoughts?

-Jim

Last edited:

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm not sure, but here's an electronic trigger meant for a semi auto 10/22.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/06/etrigger-ruger-1022/

That's a big help, thanks! In the comments there is a link to a very recent ATF opinion letter that clarifies the question very well:
    http://imgur.com/a/vt2Qz (it's long, question 21 says an AR-15 with an electronic trigger is a-ok as long as it still shoots one round per pull).

Looks like an MG with an electronic trigger would be legal too.

Interesting to note that the above letter said, one pull, 3 barrels, three shots is also ok.. that's kind of cool. Might make for an interesting project.

-Jim

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'd kind of be interested in one if it were smaller, cheaper, and for an AR. You could theoretically set the pull to something like 1oz pressure on the electronic trigger so you can fire it as fast you can touch the trigger.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    AFAIK, olympic class type airguns are all using electronic sears now. Daystate is a hunter type thats using it (and that was a couple years ago when I stopped keeping up w/ that stuff.) They control the hammer pressure/time based on tank pressure to keep shot velocity consistent to absurd levels. Also reduces lock time. Its late but I thought some competition semi-auto 22LRs already have electronic triggers too (pistols and rifles). Ultra light consistent pull + fastest lock time.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Paintball guns have been Electronically controlled since late last millennium. I will have my 99' Angel with her electronic trigger. I can put out about 14 shots per second with it if I am really trying. Thats 840 balls per minute. You can only do that with a twitch of a trigger pull. It does make accuracy a bit hard when firing that fast. So on a real gun, I think the recoil would keep you from being able to get those rates of fire.

I will add that is really sucks to have a dead battery... and not be able to shoot.

By switching out the board, I can install a board switch has a 3-shot fast burst, 8 shot slow burst and FA.

However to be frank, I don't know it really adds much of an advantage to FA where the gun is already shooting so fast. Seems to me that the benefits of an electronic trigger would be mainly a fast trigger pull. On a sniper rifle, the extremely light trigger pull would be really nice but that's not really a good thing with a FA MG

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    However to be frank, I don't know it really adds much of an advantage to FA where the gun is already shooting so fast. Seems to me that the benefits of an electronic trigger would be mainly a fast trigger pull. On a sniper rifle, the extremely light trigger pull would be really nice but that's not really a good thing with a FA MG

There are more reasons for a remote trigger than just a light trigger pull. Think tripod/bipod shoots and an Xbox controller :-)

-Jim

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    There are more reasons for a remote trigger than just a light trigger pull. Think tripod/bipod shoots and an Xbox controller :-)

-Jim

I was not really considering the remote trigger, just a straight replacement with an electronic trigger.

There are already remote triggers for MGs. Some clamp on like the Madsen. Some are built into tripods like on the German MG42 and MG3 tripods. So making a remote trigger with a servo would not be hard. BB gun battleships have been doing it for years... I need to get one...

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

-Jim

Were you thinking of something like this from The Jackal?

Attachments

• Jackal.jpg
      Jackal.jpg
      7.7 KB · Views: 146

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    AFAIK, olympic class type airguns are all using electronic sears now. ... Its late but I thought some competition semi-auto 22LRs already have electronic triggers too (pistols and rifles).

Not so much for semi-auto (though Pardini, Walther, and Match Guns will sell you electronic-trigger pistols), but the Olympic Free Pistol shooters have been using electronic triggers for 20 years or so. Over half the competitors at the 2014 World Championships will probably use them. I shoot one myself.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Were you thinking of something like this from The Jackal?

Yep, minus the people killin.
    I'd use my Mac-10 with a S.A.B.R.E in 5.56 though. Think 150 round drum, 3 independently articulating wheels, 1/4" AR-500 skin, an HD video camera behind a thick lexan lens, all controlled by a Rasberry-Pi or tablet for command and control. Bonus points if I can integrate an occulus rift and spread spectrum comms for jamming avoidance. Basically a really cool battlebot (remember that show?).

My CAD, CNC Machine, Plasma Cutter, and TIG welder await this project, but it'll probably be a loooong time coming. There are a ton of safety issues I'd need to address and it's just a scratch in the back of my head right now.

-Jim

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    An iPhone with a Flir One would be a cool addition:
    DSC04670_610x458.jpg

Something like this as an overall picture:
    bilde

Should be legal as far as I can tell. Plus if the cuban's invade, I'd be good to go.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom