• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M6HTZ

Nov 1, 2008
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Is the range slug only at Green Ridge? I would like to shoot some less expensive target loads, the slugs get expensive.

Thanks,

mrboh138

Mar 12, 2009
    Baltimore
    nope not slug only.. can shoot whatever ammo you want. just clean up everything you bring or shoot, and like you said, no full-auto.

M6HTZ

Nov 1, 2008
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Green Ridge was a great time. Camping and shooting were great. I think all 90 campsites were occupied, but it was still very secluded. The weather was awesome, but they sure could use some rain up there.

I was surprised how nice the range was, clean and covered. The people shooting were helpful and friendly. My only complaint was the sound abatement tubes for center-fire rifles. I shot my Saiga in .308 and got a lot of debris in my face. I was glad I had eye protection. I guess the short barrel makes it worse, but it was unpleasant to shoot through the tube. I won't waste my time with center-fire rifles next time.

The range is great for shotgun, pistol and 22 rifle. You only have a 25 yard target unless you bring your own target stand.

erp467

Sep 12, 2009
    Taneytown
    there was a resident up there, on his own property, that we could hear shooting FA all day sat & sun

sounded like he might have a cannon or two also

M6HTZ

Nov 1, 2008
    Signal Mountain, TN
    there was a resident up there, on his own property, that we could hear shooting FA all day sat & sun

sounded like he might have a cannon or two also

I heard that when I was there too. That guy must go through a lot of ammo! It sounded big, whatever he was shooting.

That is the strange thing about Green Ridge, they have a lot of private land mixed in with the state forest. I would love to get a few acres up there!

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I heard that when I was there too. That guy must go through a lot of ammo! It sounded big, whatever he was shooting.

That is the strange thing about Green Ridge, they have a lot of private land mixed in with the state forest. I would love to get a few acres up there!

I think some of our members here might know that guy;)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

No you wouldn't. Deer season up there is like Saturday night in Juarez. One woman who works in the Forest office there told me she fears for her kids lives during deer season. And she was talking about when they were home.

I was told many of the interspersed properties are already owned by the state, the original owners can stay but that's all.

M6HTZ

Nov 1, 2008
    Signal Mountain, TN
    No you wouldn't. Deer season up there is like Saturday night in Juarez. One woman who works in the Forest office there told me she fears for her kids lives during deer season. And she was talking about when they were home.

I was told many of the interspersed properties are already owned by the state, the original owners can stay but that's all.

Good point. I would absolutely steer clear of that place during deer season. I was driving on a remote section when I came around a bend a saw a guy walking with a rifle. I was hoping he was shooting into a backstop with all the campsites in the area.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Speaking of Green Ridge Park: Frederick News Post 10-17-2010

NRP ups patrols in Green Ridge Forest.

Multiple LE agencies will increase patrol in the Forest and will be using Police Dogs.

NRP has made more than 120 arrests for illegal drug use and 20 arrests for LOADED WEAPONS in vehicles or at CAMPSITES.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Great now we're gunna get searched and harassed while we're out in the woods trying to get away from it all. I understand the reason if they've been making all those arrests, it just sucks that it has to be that way even out in the woods...

Last few times I was there with some friends they've stopped by to check on us. This last time they were in a team, 3 guys came into the site and there was another vehicle waiting nearby with more in it. They didn't really search anything or even ask about firearms, but we were walking back to camp after hunting so they knew we had firearms. It was no big deal but it's kinda weird all the same...

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Same here, an officer came to check on us. Real nice fellow, didn't ask about firearms. Glad he didn't cause I had one loaded. You can't even protect yourself at your own campsite, Marylandistan decides it's better for us.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    sux about no loaded guns at camp. i've never been bothered up there. only ever talked to a ranger once, and she was nice. even gave me some trash bags so i could pick up my brass after i was done shooting

i did have a couple out of towners ask me about guns once. two guys clearly not from there, dressed in urban attire and sticking out like sore thumbs, noticed i was filling out a range pass, asks what i shoot, i answered that i was sighting the hunting rifle (lie), but they never showed up at the range, and i kept a loaded mag on my hip the whole time i was at the range just in case.

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    My daughter (10yrs old) and I camped up there last year. Twice in the night we were woken up by multiple rounds of gunfire. She was not happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom