• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eluxman

Mar 21, 2014
    Joppa
    So here's the question keep in mind Im new to reloading

Im loading 308 win its says Maximum Overall Length 2.810 it states it in my book & with my reloading dies
    now I have been shooting factory loads Remington Core Lokt 308
    when I measure these I get 2.730 & its a big difference I checked two boxes to make sure I know the 2.810 is a max length
    I use the factory rounds to set my die for the first time Ive been shooting factory rounds & now Im reloading
    Im shooting a Winchester 308 model 100 semi auto riffle

any advice thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    What load do you plan on developing?

Type/weight of bullet and powder??

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    The load data in the reloading book will state powder charge and OAL. Use the numbers on that load. Using a different seating depth will invalidate the data they gave you.
    The usual, start low and work your way up applies.
    Semi auto rifles will likely not cycle with minimum charges.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Typically different weight bullets are different lengths...

If you look at Lyman's 49th reloading book, 308s run between 2.403 for a 110 grain lead bullet - 2.875 for a 200 grain lead bullet...

That's a range of OAL's of .472 = A LOT...

You need to read the books to determine what to do...

OR go by the information provided by the bullet maker...

The internal pressure (PSI) of the load uses the dimension between the back of the bullet & the inside bottom of the case to determine volume ...

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Typically different weight bullets are different lengths...

If you look at Lyman's 49th reloading book, 308s run between 2.403 for a 110 grain lead bullet - 2.875 for a 200 grain lead bullet...

That's a range of OAL's of .472 = A LOT...

You need to read the books to determine what to do...

OR go by the information provided by the bullet maker...

The internal pressure (PSI) of the load uses the dimension between the back of the bullet & the inside bottom of the case to determine volume ...

This ^

The OP's original question is based on cartridge MAX OAL.

Maximum OAL is generally the longest loaded cartridge that will safely chamber in a firearm factory chambered for the caliber. And, yes, different projectiles of different weights and lengths definitely come into the mix. That means actual COAL for a particular bullet will vary based on firearms, charges, primers, cases etc.

With experience reloaders learn there is room to work within published MAX and MIN COAL parameters while working up the best load for a firearm. But exceeding either parameter is not recommended.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Maximum overall length is just that, the MAXIMUM.

2.730 is is shorter than 2.810, so what is the problem???

And actually, the overall length varies with the bullet. Heavier bullets are longer, so stick out more. And if you shove them too far into the case, you can end up with over pressure be making the case volume effectively smaller.

And max overall length is based on the SAAMI specification for the round. Depending on your rifle, it may shoot better with a longer loaded round (less jump to the rifling). But you want to make sure you do not jam the bullet into the rifling, unless you know what you are doing.

On my Rem 700, due to the VERY long Rem throat, it works best with thebullets seated as far out as I can and still fit them in the magazine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We're giving lots of info on lots of topics, but I'm not sure what the OP is actually asking.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    That's okay, I'm listening because I have the same questions.

I'm going to be re-loading Makarov from cut down Luger.

Speer says Maximum is .984, but the load data says tested at .980 - not much room for adjusting the bullet seating die.

So I'm wondering if I can be a little longer than .984 and still be okay. Plan on shooting in a CZ82 and a P64.

Lee claims MCOAL is .982 - even tighter when minimum is .980

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    That's okay, I'm listening because I have the same questions.

I'm going to be re-loading Makarov from cut down Luger.

Speer says Maximum is .984, but the load data says tested at .980 - not much room for adjusting the bullet seating die.

So I'm wondering if I can be a little longer than .984 and still be okay. Plan on shooting in a CZ82 and a P64.

Lee claims MCOAL is .982 - even tighter when minimum is .980

As an FYI, the Sierra book cautions you to be very carful with the Makarov cartridges and the bore of the gun. I imagine you know that already. That said, they have the max COAL of .975. With the Sierra 95gr and 100gr bullets the COAL is .950

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OK then. COL can be a factor in many different contexts. For semiautos , COL can effect fitting into the magazine, and reliable feeding.

COL pre se can indirectly effect chambering. The tip of the bullet is not the part that contacts the throat/ rifling , it is some point on the ogive. This is determined by the shape of the particular bullet. If a Data provider specifies an exact bullet , a specific COL will also put the "point of first contact w/ rifling" at a specific. Different bullets , even of same weight and general description may or may not have similar ogive.

Same set of variables regarding the bullet's displacement of otherwise powder space inside the case , and the effect on pressure thereof.

Eluxman

Mar 21, 2014
    Joppa
    OK here's what Im loading using powder BL-C (2) 42 grains & Sierra 180 grain boat tail bullet my book calls for a MIN OAL 2.800
    The factory loads I was shooting where 150 grain bullets that where 2.730 & crimped after looking at my book I see there is a Min oal & a Max and can be different as to the weight of the bullets

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As regards the situation in post #12 , the bullet used in that 150gr factory load has a different nose shape , and likely different (bullet) length than a 180 Sierra Boattail.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    OK here's what Im loading using powder BL-C (2) 42 grains & Sierra 180 grain boat tail bullet my book calls for a MIN OAL 2.800
    The factory loads I was shooting where 150 grain bullets that where 2.730 & crimped after looking at my book I see there is a Min oal & a Max and can be different as to the weight of the bullets

That minimum OAL doesn't sound quite right. The longest I can remember seeing in a book was 2.810. You sure you read it right? Generally the MAX OAL is 2.800 for a 308.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Get a Hornady Lock n' Load OAL gauge. This is a sure way to know safe OAL for each and every bullet you reload. Usually you will find the OAL measurement from the ogive to the lands is longer than the factory manual. The limiting factor most of the time is the magazine. I can safely load some of my rifles .020-.040 off the lands but they won't feed in the magazine because they are too long.

http://www.hornady.com/store/OAL-Gauges/
    http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-current/metalic-reloading/LNL-OAL-Gauges.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom