• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Bought a CMMG .22 LR upper receiver for an AR a few months back. Read a lot of good reviews and thought that it'd be fun for me and the girlfriend.

It is having a constant issue with failing to go completely to battery. Always seems to happen on the second to last or last shot in the magazine (I have one CMMG magazine that came with the upper). The bolt will only be out of battery by about 1/16th of an inch which obviously prevents it from firing.

I did some googling and found that some folks CMMG uppers hang up on their bolt catch which would take some inertia away from the bolt and could cause this issue. I dressed the top of the bolt catch up a bit with a file but it hasn't helped.

Any suggestions on what else I could try? It's awful suspicious that it only seems to happen when the magazine is nearly empty.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Are you sure the carrier (the part that stays still) isn't bumping? There's a plug that gets stuck in front of the factory buffer that tensions the .22 carrier and keeps it from moving.

I think its called a tac plug. They do help guns that are inconsistent.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I had the same issue and it was the bolt hold open adapter. If you take it out does it still happen? I had to take A LOT of material off my BHO adapter to get it to work properly. I can post a pic of how I had to take off later tonight.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Are you sure the carrier (the part that stays still) isn't bumping? There's a plug that gets stuck in front of the factory buffer that tensions the .22 carrier and keeps it from moving.

I think its called a tac plug. They do help guns that are inconsistent.

Is there a way I could tell that this is happening?

I had the same issue and it was the bolt hold open adapter. If you take it out does it still happen? I had to take A LOT of material off my BHO adapter to get it to work properly. I can post a pic of how I had to take off later tonight.

If I remove the magazine it doesn't seem to happen. Only seems to occur on the last or next to last round in the magazine which is why I am inclined to blame it on the mag. Pics of what you did would still be appreciated

send Justin an email at CMMG , he has help and gave me free things to fix my kit . Mine works great now. "JustinH" <justinh@cmmginc.com>

I think I will do that, thanks!

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I just re-read your post. Are you using the optional bolt hold open adapter? That's what gave me issues. If your not using that I'm not sure what the issue is. Which mags are yo using?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yeah I don't have the version with a bolt catch and have not had any problems, with any mags.

Is it easy to remove the bolt catch? I'd try shooting with it that way first.

And, CMMG has been very helpful in the past. Highly recommend calling them, they really stand by their products.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have a CMMG conversion kit that I later made into a complete upper using a Taccom alloy sleeved barrel. I did not have any problems initially using the CMMG gray mags. Now I tend to use the steel-lipped BDM mags and have no issues. I have both a bolt hold open adapter and the adapter to use S&W 15-22 mags. I tried both and did not find them 100% reliable and as yet have not done any rework on them either (I also own 2 15-22s).

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I just re-read your post. Are you using the optional bolt hold open adapter? That's what gave me issues. If your not using that I'm not sure what the issue is. Which mags are yo using?

The bolt does hold open so I assume that the upper came with the adapter

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The bolt does hold open so I assume that the upper came with the adapter
    Maybe and maybe not. All the .22 conversions mags have a tall follower that stops the bolt when the mag is empty. If when you pull the mag out the bolt closes you do NOT have the bolt hold open adapter.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Bolt hold open adapter. Do you have this?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406993585.847444.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406993585.847444.jpg
      34.6 KB · Views: 312

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I did this a year or two ago so I don't remember exactly how much I took off but I know it was a lot. I had to take off material from pretty much every face to get full functionality with all my mags (sebpveral types).Basically when a mag was installed the tab was being pushed up into the bolt and preventing it from going fully into battery.
    Give CMMG a call they were really helpful when I had a different issue. I probably should have called them about this part but I was bored and determined to get it to work.
    I'm using a standard no frills PSA LPK.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406993655.152593.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406993655.152593.jpg
      10.1 KB · Views: 305
    • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406993678.231495.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406993678.231495.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 289
    • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406993700.036250.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406993700.036250.jpg
      9.8 KB · Views: 308

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Don't know then. Sorry. Thats what caused all my out of battery problems. FWIW I think I'm going to order the plug and other parts that were recommended above.
    Mine still isn't as reliable as I'd like.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I had issues with a Spike's gun because my normal BHO was rubbing up against the bolt. I had to grind it down SUBSTANTIALLY to fix the problem. If you can safely remove it (ie, you have the right punches), consider popping the BHO off entirely to see if that resolves anything.

I'd contact CMMG otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom