• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    who the hell is keeping guns in the sun?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Eventually, we will move away from polymer and back to some sort of alloy and I have proof that this WILL happen. The following was taken from a time traveler. It is made almost entirely of metal with a very few small parts made of some sort of advanced clear polymer. It does not use projectiles. Instead it uses what appears to be an intensely focused light beam and has multiple settings from stun to kill. Additionally, I was told that it can also be rigged to explode although I haven't tried that function for obvious reasons. I took it to the range only once. While I was trying to figure out how it worked, it somehow went off and my truck was vaporized. I had to walk home. I have not touched it since and it is in safe storage because I do not want any more accidents. Someone could have been killed! The handle functions as some sort of power pack. Out of curiosity, I plugged the power pack into a wall outlet. I have not had an electric bill for over 10 years now. But I am off topic. As stated, it is proof that we WILL move back to metal for pistols in the future. A luger is included in the shot for scale:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    So if you want something to pass down, I wouldn't buy polymer. That said, think about how useful a civil war era musket would be to you today. That is probably about how useful a Glock 17 will be to future generations in 150 years. Either technological advancement will make it woefully obsolete, or some disaster will mean people are shooting bows and arrows at each other and don't even know what a gun is, much less how to make reliable ammo for it. Those are the most likely scenarios - so buy what you like and enjoy it while you are here.

Yea but firearms development has slowed down a lot. A Tommy Gun from the 1920s is still a pretty effective weapon today. Who knows.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That said, think about how useful a civil war era musket would be to you today. That is probably about how useful a Glock 17 will be to future generations in 150 years. Either technological advancement will make it woefully obsolete, or some disaster will mean people are shooting bows and arrows at each other and don't even know what a gun is, much less how to make reliable ammo for it. Those are the most likely scenarios - so buy what you like and enjoy it while you are here.

A Civil War musket would be perfect in SHTF. You can find lead and cast balls. And you can make black powder.

Better would be a flintlock, as you can find flints. Percussion caps are a little harder to make yourself.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Makes me wonder about something like a plastic trigger group in an otherwise metal gun, like an 870. I've had some plastic stuff that was decades old and kept in a stable environment and it got brittle to the point of failure.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Modern nylon compounds are about as stable as it gets, and the additives have come a long way. I'm more familiar with automotive polymers, but many of the principals are the same, especially carbon black and stabilizer additives, they increase lifespan from years to centuries, might get a little cosmetic surface degradation with a lot of UV exposure and oxidation over a long time(carbon black in the polymer nearly eliminates UV penetration), but that is about it. Environment and care makes more difference than material in most cases though steel vs polymer in a hermetically sealed container, metal might win, although it would take centuries, drop both in saltwater, and polymer might be the winner in a matter of hours although many steel framed guns have polymer parts, and polymer guns have steel parts, so there is that to consider too.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I guess there's pros and cons of each, but generally I would think poly would last as long as steel if used properly and cared for. You don't have to worry about rust on the poly components like you do with steel.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I think we can take a hint from stamped sheet metal guns like the AK's receiver. Have you ever found a piece of sheet metal that laid in the weather for a few years and it gets flimsy? Now take that same piece of sheet metal and put a piece in a climate controlled room and keep it oiled it will last a real long time. Nothing it impervious to degradation but I believe it will happen long after we leave this place.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Once you shoot all the bullets you have to throw them away.

Your post reminded me of this from Fox's "Sleepy Hollow"

Abby: “What are you doing? You dropped your gun.”

Ichabod: “It was empty.”

Abby: “You only fired one shot!”

Ichabod: “It has more?”

Abby: “Yes, Crane. A lot more.”

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Well plastics take a LONG time to degrade in nature, however I wouldn't bet my life on anything polymer a 100 years from now.

Car seats have a 10-year life span because the plastic can break down enough to not be as sound even though it looks fine. I used to have a construction helmet that had the same 10-year "expiration." At least I think it was 10 years, but it definitely had some end-of-life.

Dec 31, 2012
    Car seats have a 10-year life span because the plastic can break down enough to not be as sound even though it looks fine. I used to have a construction helmet that had the same 10-year "expiration." At least I think it was 10 years, but it definitely had some end-of-life.

Car seats are constantly exposed to high heat and sunlight. Also, it's a liability issue.

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Obviously the polymers are not a standard plastic breed and are meant to take punishment and just as another poster commented earlier - Nothing is safe. Keep it taken care of and it'll last you a lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom