• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    On the last day of the month of July in 2013 I received the denial letter from the Maryland State Police following my informal review of denial. I applied during the window provided by the Woollard decision. I was one of the 365. Once the MSP quit holding the applications, I was denied. I went through the informal review process. Because I was located in Allegany County, they let me do my informal review over the telephone. Again I was denied. After this denial, within the allotted ten days, I appealed this decision to the Handgun Permit Review Board. Fast forward eleven months to today. I received a letter from the Handgun Permit Review Board denying my request for a handgun permit. After eleven months I had given up hearing from them altogether. I was surprised when I received this letter today. Before I had given up, I thought that I would be scheduled to appear before the board and present my case. Apparently, the board makes their decision without any input from the person requesting the hearing. So, it took them just shy of a year to tell me that I do not even deserve to speak to them, I am denied. According to the letter my only recourse from here is to file an appeal in Circuit Court. I was going to let it drop when I thought I was ignored by the board. After receiving this letter, I am considering hiring an attorney and taking it to Circuit Court. Thanks for listening. I feel better now that I have let off some steam.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I am sure there may be someone on this board who could instruct you as to what you can do. I am sure there are others ready to apply or who have applied and been denied. I think we all need to press this forward and require a court hearing for every denial.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am sure there may be someone on this board who could instruct you as to what you can do. I am sure there are others ready to apply or who have applied and been denied. I think we all need to press this forward and require a court hearing for every denial.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I just don't know if I am willing to sacrifice the time off of work and lawyers fees to fight a battle I know I will lose.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I pretty sure you are supposed to get an inperson hearing. they only do 1 or 2 permonth and their woolard backlog will take years to complete if they follow the rules.

reports from people getting in person hearings are that the board is dping everything they can to break rules, like the open meetings act.

I would consult an attorney, msi, and possibly del mike smigiel, because he's attended several of these hearings and might be interested if the board is changing tactics.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I pretty sure you are supposed to get an inperson hearing. they only do 1 or 2 permonth and their woolard backlog will take years to complete if they follow the rules.

reports from people getting in person hearings are that the board is dping everything they can to break rules, like the open meetings act.

I would consult an attorney, msi, and possibly del mike smigiel, because he's attended several of these hearings and might be interested if the board is changing tactics.

I was under the impression that I was entitled to an in person hearing. After eleven months I figured that I just fell through the cracks. Now I get this letter telling me that their decision has been made. I am going to have to take a day or two and decide what I am going to do. Right now, I am too angry to make a rational decision.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am pledging $100 to the Moose defense fund.

Just say 'when' and I'll get a check out to you.

I appreciate the offer. I need to take a couple of days and come up with my game plan. I have a lot of thoughts running through my mind. I don't think real clearly when I am angry. I am considering calling Kevin Kelly to see if he would be interested in taking this case. His office is close to my house and he is a friend. I need to think.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Moose, thanks for trying. Yep, serfs don't need to protect themselves or family.

How an they conduct a "review" without giving you an opportunity to testify?

oh wait....

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Like I said, I considered the issue over. I figured that they had so many post Woollard appeals that they just trashed them all. Getting a reply eleven months later, without being invited to my own hearing, really pisses me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom