• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    That's going to suck. Article is lacking in detail, closed from where to where? The way it reads the entire length of Cedar lane is closed.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I've known about this for a while. I live behind the military hospital, off Cedar... this is going to royally screw me over.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    $88 million to add turn lanes to 4 intersections. Hmm.

Seems like a bargain at first glance, but $88 million here, $88 million there, it all adds up. After a while we're talking real money.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    4 intersections. Does this just mean all 4 portions of one intersection or 4 different ones? I can't think of anything but Wisc. and Cedar lane.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Am I wrong in thinking it's just the intersection that will be closed?

My understanding is that Cedar will be closed east of 355 for intersection improvement... I assume there will be lots of lane closures on 355 during this time because the turning lanes will be expanded. At the same time, I think they are moving the Cedar Ln entrance to Stone Ridge east such that it lines up with W. Parkhill, and a new traffic light is going in there... so it will be closed at least that far (about 200 yards). If it was closed any farther, they would be blocking the entrance to my neighborhood!

That's the only part I know about because it affects me most directly.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Your article provides a link to the state website. On the state site, there is another link to the scope of work which details all the intersection work being done under the federal grant. That's where I got 4 intersections.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Here is the SHA advisory, courtesy of a notification we received at my rescue squad.

Attachments

• CEDAR_LANE_TRAV_ADV_FINAL_052014.pdf
      634.7 KB · Views: 92

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    So, close Walter Reed, move it to Bethesda Naval, across the street from NIH, and down the street from USUHS, and leave the roadways unchanged.

Thanks, Base Closing Team. (They were supposed to deal with infrastructure upgrades before initiating the move. Right.)

Big plus: DC is licking its chops and figuring how best to fill the old Walter Reed campus with tax cattle. Might take a while. The Armed Forces Pathology Museum was built to survive nuclear blast; should be fun watching them try to dismantle it. Also brilliant to close a huge military hospital in the top tier terrorist target city; maybe NYC is number one, but DC has to be no lower than second-best. (Although it almost doesn't matter; after the first wave of patients fills all the area hospitals, another couple hundred beds will make little difference to the outcome.)

Whole area just annoys the sh!t out of me. Can't wait to leave.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    So, close Walter Reed, move it to Bethesda Naval, across the street from NIH, and down the street from USUHS, and leave the roadways unchanged.

Thanks, Base Closing Team. (They were supposed to deal with infrastructure upgrades before initiating the move. Right.)

Big plus: DC is licking its chops and figuring how best to fill the old Walter Reed campus with tax cattle. Might take a while. The Armed Forces Pathology Museum was built to survive nuclear blast; should be fun watching them try to dismantle it. Also brilliant to close a huge military hospital in the top tier terrorist target city; maybe NYC is number one, but DC has to be no lower than second-best. (Although it almost doesn't matter; after the first wave of patients fills all the area hospitals, another couple hundred beds will make little difference to the outcome.)

Whole area just annoys the sh!t out of me. Can't wait to leave.

The only improvement they made was to expand the North gate to include several lanes, which may have helped... however, in true military form, they got all the hardware without any new staffing. Generally, all but one of the new entrance lanes are closed, making it no better than the previous situation (actually, worse, because it now backs up onto 355 in two places).

The one thing they could do to really help the situation is change shifts such that the facility does not empty out during rush hour... even if is temporary until the roads are improved to handle the additional volume.

This whole situation ticks me off... with the location of my house, distance wise, I can probably count on my fingers the number of homes more inconvenienced... If I didn't have to drop my son at day care, I might just take the metro all summer, but even that is not an option. Well, I guess I just need to grease up the cornhole, because .gov is coming in!

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Just got this email through my neighborhood email group:

Hello.

This is a reminder that the State Highway Administration (SHA) will be closing a 1,000 foot section of Cedar Lane in Bethesda, starting 12:01 AM Friday morning June 6 through mid-August. SHA must close Cedar Lane between Rockville Pike and Elmhirst Parkway(at the Stone Ridge School) in order to replace aging pipes that run underneath Cedar Lane.

This is part of a larger project to make urgently needed improvements to the intersection of Rockville Pike (MD 355) at Cedar Lane. This intersection is one of the most congested in the County. The problems at the intersection have been exacerbated by BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure) which brought thousands more personnel and visitors to the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. When it is completed, this project will make the intersection function better and more safely for vehicles and pedestrians. This project is one of several designed to improve roads, transit, bike and pedestrian facilities around the military medical center.

PLAN YOUR SUMMER ROUTE! Cedar Lane won’t be an option between Bethesda and points to the east between June 6 and mid-August. Here is a link to SHA’s prescribed detours around the work zone:
    http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/brac/Resources/Files/CedarLaneClosureSHA-DetourMap052014.pdf

SCHOOLS: Please note that the closure will affect the last week of Montgomery County Public Schools, as well as MCPS summer programs. MCPS signed off on the June 6 closure to help ensure that Cedar Lane would re-open prior to the opening of schools on August 25. MCPS will alter affected bus routes during the road closure; families will be notified of route changes.

Please circulate this information widely so that people can plan ahead.

Thanks!

Phil Alperson
    Montgomery County Military Installations/BRAC Coordinator
    Office of County Executive Ike Leggett
    101 Monroe Street, 2nd Floor
    Rockville, MD 20850
    phone: 240-777-2595
    fax: 240-777-2517
    phil.alperson@montgomerycountymd.gov
    www.montgomerycountymd.gov/brac
    Visit the web site often; it is updated frequently
    Follow us on Twitter: @BracMoCoMD

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    What are all you rich guys whining about :lol2: If you can afford to live in Bethesda you can just use your personal helicopter to go over the traffic :lol2:

Just kidding guys, don't send me hate mail.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    What are all you rich guys whining about :lol2: If you can afford to live in Bethesda you can just use your personal helicopter to go over the traffic :lol2:

Just kidding guys, don't send me hate mail.

The problem is that my pilot can't get to my house anymore... :mad54: I suppose I can put him up in the servants' quarters for the summer, along with my stable of hot maids, nannies, cooks and nurses. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom