• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Hi all,

I'm turning 40 in a few weeks and was given the ok to get one of the above. As we all know the semi auto rifle selection for our state has diminished. But I want to get one before they're all gone.

Here's the thing, I have a C&R so could get the Garand, SKS, etc delivered to the front door. I already have ammo/mags for the Mini (but no gun). If I got the SKS, I may add a K31/K11 to the bill since they're all cheaper. The Garand sounds nice (CMP $625 model), but I hear they're about 2 MOA rifles and require lower pressure ammo or a new gas plug and some experimentation.

Having a hard time deciding.

Got 'em all!!:party29:

In the best MDS tradition! Well done, man.

(Pictures or it didn't happen.)

nathanbmiller

Mar 29, 2013
    I would go with the mini-14. Cheapest ammo, least recoil (if that matters), customizable, detachable mag.

Garands are great, and like others have said the supply will eventually run out. I think that makes it less likely that you will want to shoot it since it will become more collectible. Unless you want something collectible, then get the Garand.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are a LOT of Garands out there. So unless it is something special, shoot it.

If I had to buy only one, it would be the Mini 14. But best is to buy them all. :)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I would recommend getting the Garand and then picking up a used Mossberg 500, Remington 870, or similar pump-action shotgun for around $200 to use as a defensive weapon. None of your listed options really knock my socks off as a defensive choice, but of the three I would probably go with the Mini 14.

Agreed in whole.

+1

Personally, "I" have no use for an SKS or Mini-14.

I bought a Russian SKS years ago, for $159.00. Never fired it.
    Sold it a few years ago.

I've seen Mini-14 rifles that would hold "Minute of Pie Pan" groups at 100 yards.
    That's not for me.

Buy the M1 Garand (from CMP) and get a piece of real history, then follow the first quote (above).

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Since you got them how about a review of each since you were the OP and asked for the advise. A review may help others decide.

Ok - I'll try to get pics later on.

M1 Garand

I got a service grade from CMP for $650 and it's the best of the lot. I believe it's a 1955 HRA with a Springfield stock and new Springfield barrel. CMP was great to deal with to say the least and they had lots of info as well. They told me I could call back and get load data from from one of the armorer's as well. It seems very accurate and shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yds when I'm doing a good job. I can't imagine ever getting rid of this.

Mini 14

This is the lightest, best balanced and handiest of all three. It came with a broken hand guard from Bud's but Ruger sent me a new one. So far with the 2 factory loads I've tried, it shoots about 1" at 50yds. The rear sight was a bit off and I was only able to get the windage right by moving it all the way to the right. Maybe Ruger can fix that or I'll get a tech sight for it. So far it seems very reliable.

SKS

I got a 1952 Russian on GB and it is the least accurate of all three, but it will still shoot 1-2" at 50 yds. I do really like the 7.62x39 round though. At $5-6 a box, there's no reason to hand load for it and this gun seems very reliable. The stocks are really short on SKS's so at 6' 2" I needed to add some length to it. I got a $10, 2" butt extension - problem solved. The SKS pretty much seems to be in the same catagory as the Mini 14/30/ Pistol Caliber Carbine category. But they're cheaper and I wouldn't mind having another since parts are cheap and available.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Ok - I'll try to get pics later on.

M1 Garand

I got a service grade from CMP for $650 and it's the best of the lot. I believe it's a 1955 HRA with a Springfield stock and new Springfield barrel. CMP was great to deal with to say the least and they had lots of info as well. They told me I could call back and get load data from from one of the armorer's as well. It seems very accurate and shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yds when I'm doing a good job. I can't imagine ever getting rid of this.

Mini 14

This is the lightest, best balanced and handiest of all three. It came with a broken hand guard from Bud's but Ruger sent me a new one. So far with the 2 factory loads I've tried, it shoots about 1" at 50yds. The rear sight was a bit off and I was only able to get the windage right by moving it all the way to the right. Maybe Ruger can fix that or I'll get a tech sight for it. So far it seems very reliable.

SKS

I got a 1952 Russian on GB and it is the least accurate of all three, but it will still shoot 1-2" at 50 yds. I do really like the 7.62x39 round though. At $5-6 a box, there's no reason to hand load for it and this gun seems very reliable. The stocks are really short on SKS's so at 6' 2" I needed to add some length to it. I got a $10, 2" butt extension - problem solved. The SKS pretty much seems to be in the same catagory as the Mini 14/30/ Pistol Caliber Carbine category. But they're cheaper and I wouldn't mind having another since parts are cheap and available.

Very good review. Each one has it's good points.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've always liked the "no bayonet" SKS 16" paratrooper rifles. They balance really nicely, and lose a fair bit of weight from a normal SKS. I love using 20rd AK mags in my SKS-M, feels like a really nice scout rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom