• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    Not exactly sure where to post this.....

A nice day today and I decided to clean my handguns outside. The wife doesn't like the smell indoors and that's OK.

Just a thought. I'm thinking about buying an ultrasonic cleaner to do this job, and it's not a big deal if I bought one at Harbor Freight. I was just thinking...should I buy a solvent cleaner to put in it or just use Dawn liquid or something else? Another thought......perhaps using Hoppes in the thing? Your suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You'd probably get much more traffic if you posted this in the Water Cooler or Gunsmith forum.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I don't think either of those are a good idea. They make 2 solutions, 1 for brass and 1 for gun parts. I'd buy the one you need.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My suggestion or comment is to use the search feature. There have been several threads on this very subject.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Ive had good luck with Ed's Red. I'm sure there are commercially available compounds, like Balistol, that work as well or better, but this stuff seems to do really well for my hand guns and other gun parts small enough to fit in the basket.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Don't know what your ultrasonic cleaner manual says, but mine says not to use any flammable liquids in it.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I just picked up a Lyman ultrasonic and it says that they make a different chemical for gun parts than for brass and jewelry. So pick up some of that and you "should" be ok with anyones ultrasonic.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Don't know what your ultrasonic cleaner manual says, but mine says not to use any flammable liquids in it.

Professional lab trick, use a water bath and a glass beaker or deep glass dish that fits in the basket to contain flammables for an ultrasonic. I've done it for years, professionally, with ethanol, 2-propanol, pentane and hexane.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Hmmmm wonder if I can take apart my suppressor and use the hornady gun cleaning solution?

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Mike4Maryland,
    Are you just trying to clean up your firearms? I'd suggest giving Fireclean a try. It's non-toxic, odorless and is definitely an improvement over Hoppe's #9.

I love this stuff because I can use it indoors and am not banished outside like I was years ago when using Hoppe's. :)

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    Mike4Maryland,
    Are you just trying to clean up your firearms? I'd suggest giving Fireclean a try. It's non-toxic, odorless and is definitely an improvement over Hoppe's #9.

I love this stuff because I can use it indoors and am not banished outside like I was years ago when using Hoppe's. :)

Banished from your domicile for using Hoppe's #9! Sir, turn in your MAN CARD!!! :lol2:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Banished from your domicile for using Hoppe's #9! Sir, turn in your MAN CARD!!! :lol2:

:lol: Yeah, I thought most gun-totin' men were addicted to the smell of Hoppes...or maybe I'm just an old guy and the new guys are used to 'smelless' cleaners. FWIW, I still savor the smell of both smokeless and blackpowder when on the range!

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Try Rand CLP. I picked up a bottle last weekend and love it. Pre-treat your gun, and the carbon just wipes off

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    :lol: Yeah, I thought most gun-totin' men were addicted to the smell of Hoppes...or maybe I'm just an old guy and the new guys are used to 'smelless' cleaners. FWIW, I still savor the smell of both smokeless and blackpowder when on the range!

Only decent thing I ever found in Just Guns, a Hoppes #9 car air freshener:)
    And I guess some Rig and a Rig Rag, only place I'd seen any of them.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    Only decent thing I ever found in Just Guns, a Hoppes #9 car air freshener:)
    And I guess some Rig and a Rig Rag, only place I'd seen any of them.

If you need it, RIG is available on line and a "true" RIG rag is a piece of T-Shirt left in a just about empty RIG container then left in the sun on a hot day. Let the RIG saturate the rag and then you are done!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Indeed sir! Heaven probably smells like a just fired shotgun shell! Brings back memories of sitting against a tree and squirrel hunting with a single shot 410 as a grade school kid. And Hoppes is pretty close to Chanel, only without the sometimes aggravation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom