• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I was pulled over this evening as my drivers tail light was out (which is ok - had no idea). BUT after asking for license and registration i was asked how many guns were in my vehicle. I replied none. By this point there were 4 patrol cars behind my vehicle. I was asked if i would consent to a search, which i did not consent to. Cop went and ran my details, issued a repair order, and sent me on my way. My question is - is this 'fishing' legal - i got the sense my reply to the question could have turned this into a full blown search, detainment etc. I was merely driving home from work with a tail light out and an nra sticker on my car, dressed in business attire...

Cops can ask. It's been discussed here a lot and some attorneys on this board provided case law that a cop can even do a "safety search" (which can include your glove compartment but not trunk) during a traffic stop without PC.

As far a stickers go, I don't think it matters anymore. Cops have access to the MD firearms registry so they could know before they walk to your vehicle if you own.

Darkseed

Sep 23, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    The fact that got me was not the stop for the tail light, not the question about firearms in the vehicle... it was a specific quote of:

"i'm only asking about guns as you have an NRA sticker on your vehicle"

Which is why is wish my camera was recording... I held my tongue as i wanted to enter a tirade about other stickers and their implications etc.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The officer can ask any question he wants, it is a free country. If you want to, you can tell him to pound sand or say nothing, that is your right as well.

If I recall some jurisdictions have "failing to respond to a police question" as a crime ... which is completely unconstitutional

The fact that got me was not the stop for the tail light, not the question about firearms in the vehicle... it was a specific quote of:

"i'm only asking about guns as you have an NRA sticker on your vehicle"

Which is why is wish my camera was recording... I held my tongue as i wanted to enter a tirade about other stickers and their implications etc.

Did you post this quote earlier? I missed it

Another question ... what style of car? Prius? (haha) Econobox? Small sedan? Sportscar? Sporty car? SUV? US V-8 4 door sedan?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I would surmise that law would be in connection with a boan fide police investigation. How would simply not answering be a crime if there is no investigation?

Just asking.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I am for LEO's stopping vehicles for minor infractions ... I live near one of MD's "drug highways" The more mules and dealers they take off the street the better.

Saw a really cool takedown about a month ago ... they were tailing a guy who they thought would rabbit out onto the highway ... he took off ... not knowing that they had an unmarked car in front of him. Blocked and boxed in about 5 seconds after he nailed it.

There must be at least a small amount of embarrassment to being handcuffed facedown in the street without your shoes on.

To the guy who stole my NRA magnet off my van ... I hope some anti keys your car

Back to the original topic ... I will not consent to a search and hope I am never profiled

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I would surmise that law would be in connection with a boan fide police investigation. How would simply not answering be a crime if there is no investigation?

Just asking.

Pretty sure you do have to identify yourself if asked as well (even if just a pedestrian).

I feel this is an illegal intrusion too, but I'm pretty certain courts have upheld it

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    ID'ing yourself is different than answering an officer's questions during a stop IMO.

splitting hairs for sure. You may have to ID yourself and then shutup. No law broken there.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I wonder if the question of guns came up because msp ran the tag and not due to the sticker.:tinfoil:

They have no direct access to the firearms registry based on license plate.

Cops can ask. It's been discussed here a lot and some attorneys on this board provided case law that a cop can even do a "safety search" (which can include your glove compartment but not trunk) during a traffic stop without PC.

As far a stickers go, I don't think it matters anymore. Cops have access to the MD firearms registry so they could know before they walk to your vehicle if you own.

Um, not based on license plate or drivers license and not even in the same database, nor are the two connected. So, no, unless they know the driver by site, can they look you up to see if you have firearms and what you have.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Smart car... so yeah, very intimidating lol

Mo Co is planning on using these to intimidate the libtards where I live.

Attachments

• mcpd smart car.jpg
      mcpd smart car.jpg
      8 KB · Views: 477

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Did it hurt your feelings or something? You were asked questions, your rights were respected, not violated. Move along.

I see no harm in the common folks debating the actions of government agents. So far it has not become a LEO bashing thread so I say nice job thus far folks! :D

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Have had conspicuous 2A stickers on my vehicle for over a year. Back in May, turned my rear window into a ‘2A Mural of Freedom’. Have had zero issues in MD. Drive 120+ miles in the state every day for work. On other trips, have encountered MSP and LEOs from maybe a dozen counties and have been followed for many miles – but never stopped. On the advice of Huck, added some “Cav Hoah” and other evidences of my combat veteran status. Unfortunately, the current libtard mindset will find dot.mil even more threatening than 2A. :sad20:

My philosophy is that there are libtards in every walk of life. If some bean sprout-eating, Prius-peddling libtard calls in a dishonest complaint while I’m driving, LEOs are duty-bound to respond. Hopefully my character (and LEO’s) will see me through the event.

Related to several other posts: Keep my cab clear unless planning to CCW outside MD. For this purpose, have a console vault for an unloaded handgun. Mags/ammo are locked separately, not just “lockable”. Keep my GHB in the bed, under a locked, folding tonneau cover, since a survival hatchet and knife are included. Any time I have a legitimate reason to transport other firearms/ammo, that stuff rides locked in the bed.

As for my right to privacy, I figure my 1A expression of my 2A rights should not be cause for infringement of my 4A rights. I’ve also been around the block a time or two and realize it’s possible. If conditions in MD deteriorate further, I’m open to reevaluating all of this. Like numerous members have already mentioned, most of us are already in the computer. If I’m that worried about it, it’s time to pack up and leave MD.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I always wanted to have stickers on my car. But after hearing that yes, a "This vehicle protected by Smith and Wesson" was probable cause for a search. I won't display pro-gun of political stickers. A lot depends on the cop and the judge but I don't need the prejudice. :sad20:

Its not probabe cause. Its most likely not reasonable suspicion. Question is can the comunity afford the litigation? Can you?

I can't so I let them surpress my 1a rights.. ..for now.

Pick the battles..

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie

There is a difference between PC and reasonable suspicion. Former is required for an actual search, trunk, etc., absent exigent circumstances. Latter, which is a lower standard, is still required for a safety search, etc. It is the equivalent of a pat down on the street. There has to be some reasonable and legal basis, even if it is slim, and it can't be based on race or politics.

The constitution gives people a reasonable expectation of privacy. That expectation is much reduced in a car, but does not fly out the window completely. Thus, a cop cannot stop a car for a minor traffic infraction and conduct a "safety search" for absolutely no reason other than he feels like it, or suspects the political views of the person he's stopped

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Um no you can 't and or at least shouldn't unless there is reasonable suspicion of an offense or you need to for safety reasons. Busted tail light alone does not do that. Nor does NRA sticker which also raises 1st Am issue. If officer saw something in the car suspicious or that suggested driver might be armed that is different.

Show me where it says a cop CANNOT not ask a question/engage in conversation during a stop, regardless of what stickers you might have. Nowhere.
    If a person gets pulled over for X, all conversation does not have to be related to X.
    Spend a few years working traffic stops. People fess up to a lot of things from simple conversation. Call those drivers stupid or whatever, but they do. These aren't cops "preying" on people. They are just guys doing their job using a viable and legal way of finding violations of the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom