• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I had a lead inspection done for my rental property in early February. No lead found anywhere, but there was some pealing paint in a couple places outside. (Porch ceiling, thresholds, etc.)

Because it was too cold out to do it myself withing 7 days, I got a "winter waiver" (Good until the end of March.) Because I got a winter waiver, the painting has to be done by a lead certified painter, so he can give me some kind of paper work (I'm new at all of this) to give to the lead inspector.

Because the weather was so bad during March, and because I had some other stuff to do before the paining got done and me and Mrs Safetech were sick on and off (we took turns), I called the state, explained the situation, and they gave me an extension though the end of April.

I now have all of my stuff done. When I called the guy who was going to do the painting, I found out that he's in the hospital, and not coming back to work anytime soon. So....

I need a small paining job done by a painter who is "lead certified".

Probably just a half a day's work, if that.

Anybody here do that????

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    If they didn't find any lead during the inspection, don't you have a lead free certificate?

The peeling paint is only considered a defect by MDE if it contains lead, which based on your initial post you seem to indicate no lead is present.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If they didn't find any lead during the inspection, don't you have a lead free certificate?

The peeling paint is only considered a defect by MDE if it contains lead, which based on your initial post you seem to indicate no lead is present.

+1

Why would you need a certified painter if no lead paint was found?

truknbear

Right to arm Bears
    Feb 21, 2013
    HarCo
    MDE didn't do you any favors, since by law you have until the end of April to correct your issues. Something sounds a bit fishy here, If the guy that did your inspection with the Buck Rogers X-Ray gun, then he (or her) can not issue a limited lead free certificate with chipping, peeling or flaking paint. Which would suggest you got a dust test.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I was supposed to renew in march and i didnt, i get so little call for it.

Don't blame you. When I was painting I spent the time and money to get lead certified because I did work in Roland Park and Bolton Hill. Everyone wants it done lead right until they find out how much it costs. A lot of time and expense to follow regs as you know.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Get it wrapped with alum and forget it. With the lead laws the way they are, if there is even a crack or chip anywhere, you can be forced to make repairs and get an entire house inspection again. We wrap the exterior of all our properties and get XRF testing for the inside and any surface found positive with lead based paint is removed for a lead free, dust wipes only get you to lead safe, not lead free. You have no protection anymore from frivolous lawsuits because of the laws in this state that changed 2010/11. Be safe, spend a little extra money getting alum wrap and forget about it for life!.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    +1

Why would you need a certified painter if no lead paint was found?

without knowing the entire situation, if the house is pre 78, you are required to get a lead cert on the property, which are dust wipes and a visual inspection, which is the least you can get away with doing anymore. The dust wipes are taken in each room from 2 places on the window and the floor. This is to make sure the house is clean from deteriorating paint, it does not mean the house is lead free. And to receive such a certificate, you must be lead certified for such work for lead safe practices, each certified person has their own MDE identification number which must accompany a certificate.

The mistake most people make is they get a dust cert and tell people their house is lead free, when it reality it is merely lead safe, and with that it is subject to inspection at every turnover and if more than a year should be checked for any deterioration annually if you want to be safe. Which is why the only way to do it now is XRF certified lead free which is no lead inside and wrapped exterior.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    For interior it's easiest just to replace all wood trim and windows and be done with it.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    All taken care of.

The paint outside didn't contain lead. But because it was pealing, and the railings were rusted out, it had to be fixed before the lead inspection could be finalized. And because I wasn't able to do it within seven days, I had to get the winter waiver.

I ended up replacing the supports with pressure treated 4x6s and new railings will be up this week. And the exterior painting is now done.

Now all I have left to do it get the Baltimore County rental property inspection and I'm GTG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom