• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silentsnake

Sep 21, 2009
    Baltimore
    I did a search here and have not found any posts about it, but i am fascinated by the Kel Tec SU-16D

it was reviewed by a guy that goes by the handle of nothinfancy, and i really appreciated his candor about the carbine.

the SU-16D has a shorter barrel than the previous models, and the picatinney rail system on the front grip.

there is also a kit you can purchase direct from the company that converts the original folding stock to a pistol grip that has a 4-position AR stock.

i was curious if any dealers know where i can purchase one or if it would be better to deal directly with the manufacturers.

it looks like an excellent carbine for the money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaqPowTdqtg

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's an SBR (barrel < 16"), so you'll need to do the whole tax stamp thing. Given that, I'd probably buy a "regular" SU-16 and convert to a pistol grip with the kit. IIRC, you can get also buy the rail kit, so you should be able to get most of the way there with a few hundred bucks of investment.

I like the SU-16, too, but it's kinda hard to justify over a standard AR-15. The Sub-2000 is a way more interesting rifle, IMHO.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have an SU-16C. I got it for its light weight, and compact size (folded). And because it's not an AR and I wanted something else in 5.56 that I could use my existing mags with. It's surprisingly accurate, and very reliable. Unlike the AR as it's not as particular about a wet bolt. I can't remember offhand if the D and C use the same barrel/front sight but the A and B have a lighter barrel and I've heard more complaints about them.

My main issue with the C is it's mostly plastic, and the folding stock in particular seems like it would break if I fell on it while locked open. It's not a battle rifle. But it would make an ideal varmint gun, light enough even for backpacking, and it's fun at the range as well. I haven't held a D, however the advantages of this platform are its light weight and convertibility--the C even has a rudimentary tripod. Trying to make it into a tacticool gun like the D seems wrong IMO...they replaced all of the decent features for the sake of appearance.

silentsnake

Sep 21, 2009
    Baltimore
    It's an SBR (barrel < 16"), so you'll need to do the whole tax stamp thing. Given that, I'd probably buy a "regular" SU-16 and convert to a pistol grip with the kit. IIRC, you can get also buy the rail kit, so you should be able to get most of the way there with a few hundred bucks of investment.

I like the SU-16, too, but it's kinda hard to justify over a standard AR-15. The Sub-2000 is a way more interesting rifle, IMHO.

yeah, the D has too short of a barrel for me, so you are right, conversion would be better...

i just like the idea of the AR bolt and the AK style piston, the combination makes for reliability. and the price is golden...

the built in bipod is flimsy, so i would probably never use it, hence the replacement front handguard with the rail (you can get a bipod that fits the rail and works a lot better)

throw on some good optics and i bet its a hell of a gun once its tweaked a bit...

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    I have an SU-16CA with only 10 rounds through it. I have been thinking about putting it up for sale. It is a nice rifle, but I recently purchased an AR and don't have enough money to justify duplicate purpose firearms.

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    I have an SU-16CA with only 10 rounds through it. I have been thinking about putting it up for sale. It is a nice rifle, but I recently purchased an AR and don't have enough money to justify duplicate purpose firearms.

PM sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom