• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JanesDad

Apr 30, 2012
    Perry Hall
    This is somewhat of a repost, so apologies for being redundant.

Put simply, I would like to know if it is legal to have an unregulated unloaded shotgun (in a soft case) in the trunk of my vehicle in Maryland (I live in Baltimore County). If so, I also plan to store the rounds in the trunk.

Thank you in advance for concise answers/insights.

BTW, do you carry an unloaded long gun in your vehicle most of the time?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    While checking all Federal, state and local laws don't forget exception 2; if your 2 old 2 run and 2 young 2 die, just do what you have to!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    You are asking a loaded question (pun intended). :)

You leave us a lot of room for discussion, so anyone can answer this question many different ways and possibly be right.

Before I say anything else let me state the obvious, I'm not an attorney, and neither are the other posters I've seen so far, there are a few attorneys that frequent this forum but even they won't give you an actual 'legal' opinion (without paying for their services in a private meeting), this is a public forum.

With this I will assume (<--- yep I know what that means to some of you) that you are:
    - not a criminal or anyone otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm
    - asking this question in good faith; i.e. not a law enforcement officer looking to entrap someone; or a criminal looking to circumvent the law)
    - not planning to just transport the firearm for one of the many declared legal purposes (to a range, to a gun shop, to display your collection (if you are a bona-fide collector)
    - not a bona-fide collector
    - intending to carry in-state only
    - not otherwise authorized to transport a firearm because of your status (military, LE, business owner, security officer, many others...)
    - just suggesting you want to carry in your trunk most of the time to most normal places you may go for the purpose of self protection.

With all that in mind, my best guess is sure, the MD transport laws apply to handguns only (unless you are hunting) as long as it's unloaded and you are not looking for trouble, I find nothing in MD law that would prohibit you from simply having a non-regulated long gun secured in your vehicle. Again I can't read, and my seeing eye dog is typing this for me. :-)

Check this out:
    http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/statutes_Respond.asp?article=gcr&section=4-203&Extension=HTML

If that's a little too legalize, maybe this layman's explanation is better (see below).

Either way, the bottom line is someday you might have to articulate to an officer (if you consent to a search of your vehicle); and if they decide to press charges, you may have to defend yourself in court; which my dog is telling me is very expensive and I've already said too much. :)

http://www.gunlawguide.com/Maryland.htm
    All Persons: Rifles and shotguns may be transported in a vehicle for any reason.
    But, due to Maryland's conservation/hunting laws, the weapons must be unloaded and
    secured in commercial cases or gun racks regardless of whether one has a permit.
    Maryland's preemption statute provides uniformity for most gun laws
    throughout the state. But localities may still regulate the discharge of firearms
    within their limits and the carry of firearms within 100 yards of schools, parks,
    churches, public buildings, and places of public assembly. A recently enacted self-
    defense law provides homeowners with civil immunity from damages sustained by
    unlawful intruders against whom the homeowner employs deadly force.

As I said today to a group of retired Federal LEO's I gave some 1-1 training too; the more of us that lawfully carry, the safer everyone is. Let your conscious be your guide. Do the right thing, and stay safe.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Maryland's transport restrictions apply only to handguns, not to long guns.

Of course, the long gun has to be unloaded, but I don't believe the law even specifies it needs to be in the trunk.

I've often taken a rifle to work with me, so I can stop at the range on the way home. Sometimes I leave the Garand in my van for two or three days at a stretch.

Unless someone can cite an actual law to the contrary, then of course it's legal.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I have not found any law to the contrary. I am not a lawyer either. I often carry shotguns in the trunk as I intend to go to the skeet or trap range later in the day. They are stored broken down in their locked cases. There is often several flats of shells in the trunk also.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Threeband said:
    Maryland's transport restrictions apply only to handguns, not to long guns.

Of course, the long gun has to be unloaded, but I don't believe the law even specifies it needs to be in the trunk.

I've often taken a rifle to work with me, so I can stop at the range on the way home. Sometimes I leave the Garand in my van for two or three days at a stretch.

Unless someone can cite an actual law to the contrary, then of course it's legal.

The storing a firearm in the trunk, is a security measure.

If stopped for a traffic violation: the SCOTUS ruled trunk searches for officer safety is unconstitutional, or something to that effect.

Feb 6, 2012
    I'm pretty sure in PG county it is illegal to have a firearm in the car unless it follows these:

-It is not in the front seat (or row)
    -You are transporting it to or from a range to or from your home
    -You are transporting it to a range or you home from where you purchased it
    -You are transporting it to or from a gunsmith

At least that is what I have been told, I am not a lawyer and so I cannot offer any legal counsel, but I do know that you do not have to consent to a search of your car when a police officer stops you unless he can see something inside your car that looks like a rifle (dangerous language I know) so if you have to keep it in the car; the trunk is the safest place.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I do not know said:
    I'm pretty sure in PG county it is illegal to have a firearm in the car unless it follows these:

-It is not in the front seat (or row)
    -You are transporting it to or from a range to or from your home
    -You are transporting it to a range or you home from where you purchased it
    -You are transporting it to or from a gunsmith

At least that is what I have been told, I am not a lawyer and so I cannot offer any legal counsel, but I do know that you do not have to consent to a search of your car when a police officer stops you unless he can see something inside your car that looks like a rifle (dangerous language I know) so if you have to keep it in the car; the trunk is the safest place.

What you describe is state law 4-203, that only deals with handguns.

If PG has a specific ordinance, please post it.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Anyone here "car carry" an unloaded regulated rifle such as an AK or AR, cased? Seat or trunk, just curious.

So stupid, just give us constitutional carry!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would never transport a firearm, because they are dangerous and they scare me. If they didn't scare me, I would have no problem putting a shotgun in my trunk in case the opportunity arose for me to go shooting. I think if guns weren't so dangerous, I would enjoy shooting. I read the law as applying only to handguns.

Nubz

Yankee Trash
    Mar 16, 2012
    I don't know why the big discussion on this

If it wasn't legal how the hell would you ever get a gun home that you just bought

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    It is technically legal. Don't go near a school, nor a government building. If I may, be careful where you park. When I consider carrying a long gun in the trunk, worrying about the potential of car theft usually keeps me from doing so. I was raised in a state where everyone (everyone we knew at least) carried a long gun in their truck.

Not all law enforcement personnel will know that it is legal to do so. If you run into an officer like I have who believes that a rowboat must have a registration in MD, then you will have problems until you can convince him/her that they are wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom