• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    ...or someone who can tell me how to fix my propane stove.

Short story: when I ignite the stove in the morning, it flares up normally then fades out completely. Wait a few seconds, then relight and it stays lit. However, if I turn on another burner, the originally lit burner's flame reduces proportionally to the newly lit burner's intensity. I'm hooked up to two 100# tanks with a flip over switch; I put a new fisher controls regulator on the line 8 mos ago.

Shoot me a PM if you can help and we can talk.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Two thoughts.

One. Crud in the regulator. That can cause low pressure when the diaphragm has dirt or something in it. Sometimes rapping on the body of the regulator with a wrench will break it free.

Two. After reading the last post, I thought of a new safety "feature" that is on grill lines. The fire department I was with used to have a travel trailer with 2 20# tanks and a switch. Sometimes when the lines were not opened in the perfect way, the tank would appear empty and give low pressure due to the safety valve and the connector not opening all the way. See the last paragraph about OPD valves on the link. It just required fiddling and we got full pressure again. I don't know your setup, so this is just a shot in the dark.

See if any of this makes sense, if not I can try for a better answer. I was a stove tech for years in an area that was mostly LP or NG service.

Mark

Link...
    http://www.propane101.com/opdcylindervalves.htm

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Two thoughts.

One. Crud in the regulator. That can cause low pressure when the diaphragm has dirt or something in it. Sometimes rapping on the body of the regulator with a wrench will break it free.

Two. After reading the last post, I thought of a new safety "feature" that is on grill lines. The fire department I was with used to have a travel trailer with 2 20# tanks and a switch. Sometimes when the lines were not opened in the perfect way, the tank would appear empty and give low pressure due to the safety valve and the connector not opening all the way. See the last paragraph about OPD valves on the link. It just required fiddling and we got full pressure again. I don't know your setup, so this is just a shot in the dark.

See if any of this makes sense, if not I can try for a better answer. I was a stove tech for years in an area that was mostly LP or NG service.

Mark

Link...
    http://www.propane101.com/opdcylindervalves.htm

Thanks for the info. I'm using 100# tanks and they don't have OPD valves from what I can tell. The article says that only 4-40# tanks are required to have OPD valves. In either event, I don't think an OPD valve is my problem since my stove gets propane but won't stay lit after the first light (second light, it stays lit and functions fine most of the time).

I'll look into your first suggestion although I highly doubt there's crud in the regulator but I'll give it a wrap and see what happens.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Yea, I figured the 100# tanks wouldn't have them, but it was a wildcard guess. It's tough to diagnose over the internet :) It's just that when you say lighting the second burner dims the first burner, it screams low pressure. If you want to PM me with the make and model and can try and pull up a schematic and see what else it may be. I just have gut feeling its a low pressure issue, where it is located is the $10,000 question. Could be a number of things depending on what the make and model are. I am happy to try and help if I can.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom