• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Hi Folks - not sure if anyone can do this or has a good lead. We were quoted about 3500 to fill in the pool in our yard. Previous owners let it go to crap.

20' x 40', plywood sides, liner is almost torn apart. Pump dead, etc etc... we had 6 estimate to repair it to code and those estimates were almost as much as having a brand new pool installed from scratch.

Just looking to see what prices are out there for someone to come bust up the concrete patio and fill in the pool, tamp it all down nice and tight. I have grass seed already for this. Would probably be willing to do this during the winter as long as finances are right.

Job would be in Hagerstown, inside city limits.

Sig sickness

Aug 27, 2013
    From what I have seen that's a cheap price to get that done. A buddy of mine does pool demos all the time and it usually starts at $5000 and goes up from there.

90gsx

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2011
    Parkville
    Seems high to me. I would stay away from the pool people and just find some one that can bring in the dirt to fill it

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Seems high to me. I would stay away from the pool people and just find some one that can bring in the dirt to fill it
    +1 You can rent a skid steer or small backhoe and break up the concrete yourself. Then find people that are selling fill dirt that will bring it to you by the truck load for next to nothing in cost.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Find some construction debris to fill it in (concrete, bricks or otherwise) then use fill dirt on top of that to get everything level and finally top off with a few inches of top soil. Easy enough to do yourself.

I was able to get a dump truck (~12-14 cubic yards) of screened topsoil for about $250. I wouldn't think you would need much more than that. Fill dirt will be cheaper and the construction debris might even be free if you talk to an demo or excavating company since they have to pay to get rid of stuff.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I used to do this for the pool company my stepdad owned. If you want to have fun, call miss utility and make sure there are no lines under the deck, rent a backhoe for the day (Sunbelt is less than $400) and just knock it all in the hole starting at the deck edge. It really is easy even with little to no skills with the backhoe. It's always fun wrecking stuff!!!!

Mark

tgeb

Mar 12, 2013
    Montgomery County
    That is probably a fair price.

I own a small excavating company and have done a few pool demos, $3,500 is on the low side of any I have done. But the ones I have recently demoed were reinforced gunite and took well over a week to complete.

Make certain the bottom of the pool/liner is full of holes for drainage, put the rubble in the bottom and cover with filter fabric so soil will not migrate through the rubble. Be sure the soil is well compacted so you do not have settling issues in the future.

Best of luck with it.

JailHouseLiar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 26, 2013
    Timonium, Maryland
    I used to do this for the pool company my stepdad owned. If you want to have fun, call miss utility and make sure there are no lines under the deck, rent a backhoe for the day (Sunbelt is less than $400) and just knock it all in the hole starting at the deck edge. It really is easy even with little to no skills with the backhoe. It's always fun wrecking stuff!!!!

Mark

That would be my solution. Of course you'll need some fill, so get that in advance if possible stored right by the pool or maybe they'll dump it in. Rent a compactor as well and make sure your fillings are tight. Them things will vibrate the snot out of you.

18%22+Round+Forward+Soil+Plate+Compactor+w%2F+Honda+GX160+5.4+HP+Gas+Powered+Engine.jpg

aaronn

Aug 8, 2013
    Baltimore
    I'm with everyone who said to try to tackle it yourself. But only if you feel fairly competent with the machinery you'd use.

I'd have a blast doing it!

Dec 31, 2012
    Many years ago I built a deck over an in-ground filled with rubble.
    Owners wanted something from their money aside from just a filled in hole.
    They skimped on the demo and splurged on the deck.

It was an interesting idea but I'd love to know how it looks 20 years later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom