• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    My push mower does not work. If you pull the cord it turns over blows out a bunch of white smoke and then dies. My grass desperately needs to be cut I was hoping to avoid having service on it until the winter was over but my parents aren't too keen to let me a lawn mower and there's no point in paying $50 to rent one so I'm looking for small engine mechanic that can fix this thing up asap

I live in Towson but I don't really have any way to transport the mower so if you could come to me all better

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    White smoke???

Does the engine actually start???

Things to check:

1. Oil level. Too much oil will push oil into the combustion chamber, where it'll burn. The color will be more bluish/black.
    IF there's too much oil, drain/refill with proper amount.
    2. Carb mixture too rich. You've flooded the engine. Make sure you keep your hands & feet away from the blade.
    Unplug the sparkplug wire and remove the sparkplug.
    Clean and dry the sparkplug. Keyword.... DRY! Re-install sparkplug and attach wire.
    Remove the air filter and squirt a LITTLE lighter fluid into the carb inlet, or, while the sparkplug is out, squirt a little lighter fluid into the combustion chamber. Start the engine.

See if the engine starts/runs. IF the engine isn't starting, but, you've got white smoke/residue coming out of the exhaust, the engine is flooded or you have ignition problems.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Yeah.

I pump the bulb once, pull the cord and it turns over, blows out a huge puff of white smoke, and then sputters out. If I hit the bulb, it will rev back up then sputter out again.

I did replace the spark plug though.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    WHere are you? There is a little shop on Falls road north of Padonia that is great. The shop is behind a BBQ stand.
    As an example, I have an Echo gas hedge clipper. Finch wanted 350 to fix it which is the cost of a new one. totally inflated and a complete ripoff.
    3 days and $38 later, it was fixed from this place. If you want, I can get the name, I have to go by there is next couple of days. They are on the way to Duffys...

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Take the bowl off the carb it more than likely full of crud make sure the float goes up and down freely . Deal with this on our weed eater dang ethanol gas causes it

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Any chance you 2-stroke pre-mix fuel like for a chainsaw or weed whacker in it by mistake?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    There's a slight possibility I mixed some in. I'm pretty sure I didn't though.

Please let me know about that place, I got a miniature forest growing out back.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    You can buy a replacement carb on ebay for about $30 and have it installed in about 30 minutes. I did this on my old weed whacker and on a Honda Lawnmower that was given to me. Both have been running flawlessly since. Same symptoms as you described: starts runs, quits.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    WHere are you? There is a little shop on Falls road north of Padonia that is great. The shop is behind a BBQ stand.
    As an example, I have an Echo gas hedge clipper. Finch wanted 350 to fix it which is the cost of a new one. totally inflated and a complete ripoff.
    3 days and $38 later, it was fixed from this place. If you want, I can get the name, I have to go by there is next couple of days. They are on the way to Duffys...

I'd be interested in the name, too.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I second or third the oil in the fuel theory.

I would double-check that the crankcase oil level is good, and NOT overfilled.

I'd dump out all the fuel in the tank and fill with fresh 89 octane gas.

Then, try again using engine starting fluid (if necessary) to get it cranking, and give it a minute or two to burn off any of the contaminated fuel left in the carb.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Its probably gas in the oil, not the other way around. Could be something in the exhaust, gas or oil. Did you look at the oil level yet? Or checked the oil color, white/milky means water in the oil. It was more common for something to get in the oil rather than oil in the gas. Also when you take out the dip stick see if the oil is runny or water like, IE flows easily. Oil normally burns black but if there is something thinning it out then it flows past the rings and will get in the combustion chamber or the exhaust. Though if it is something in the exhaust it will normally start and run, unless the float is stuck open then the motor normally floods out. White smoke normally means something in the exhaust or combustion chamber. Oil can get in the carburetor but that typically doesnt happen on mowers. Typically the oil flows out the exhaust but it also depends on which valve is open.

Did you put gas in the tank today? Check and make sure the gas tank still has gas in it. If not then either the float developed a hole or their is something keeping the needle stuck open, IE a heavy float from a hole or dirt or something.

Two simple checks here. Check the oil level & check to make sure there is still gas in the tank after you have filled it up. It wont take long to empty the tank. Also look around the top of the mower deck and look if you have a puddle of oil or where the mower was sitting.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    And be VERY careful with the starting fluid. It is known to put holes in pistons if used excessively. Don't try and run the engine by continuing to spray it in the carb. Also sounds like it might be a fuel delivery issue if when you pump the primer bulb it continues to run. Sounds like it might be loosing suction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom