• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Act nicely, get treated nicely.
    Act like an a-hole, get treated like an a-hole.

It pretty much works this way in any situation.

Exactly!!!!!

Except one time when I was stationed in Norfolk. This guy was a complete ass from the beginning to the end of the process. I've found that this guy was the exception rather than the rule though.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    If I pull you over, I'm detaining you. It may be in reference to a traffic violation or it may be in regards to something more serious. Either way, you are not free to leave until I make contact with you and complete my investigation. Follow the line of nonsense contained in that first post and you will spend the day (or night) in jail and have to utilize the services of a bondsman. If I ask you whether or not you're armed you can certainly exercise your right to remain silent. How that will turn out varies from Officer to Officer. As long as you're not intoxicated, insane or going about armed to commit a crime I personally don't care so long as you don't do something stupid like drawing the weapon as I approach or throwing it out the window. Those things tend to raise red flags and may result in a significant emotional event.

// And just how would you know or assume that I or anyone was about to commit a crime?
    My understanding is that the police, when they pull you over, are supposed to advise you of the reason for pulling you over, ID you, and shit or get off the pot with a ticket or warning. If all of that is done and the officer starts asking questions then are they not just fishing? Am I still being "detained" while this line of questioning is going on?
    If I ask if I am free to go, am I?

dbow

Apr 2, 2013
    HQL database is not shared with anyone outside of the licensing division just the same as the Carry Permit DB is not shared. So, while they can run you when you get pulled over, they have no clue if you have an HQL or a Carry License, so nothing to worry about unless you tell them you have an HQL or a Carry License.

Yea this is what I really wanted to know. I don't give a shit if I get pulled over, I have nothing of concern, but I don't want to get harassed because of my HQL.

FWIW cops here would have better luck fishing for warrants by reading plates rather than pulling over rednecks. I have a friend who is a Midwest cop who can read plates at night oncoming traffic! He types the plate in without looking and catches a lot of BDs this way.

Shit last week two knuckle heads were smoking while pumping gas just two pumps down from a trooper, I asked if that's illegal and he said "ahh well ya know i think it's like ten feet or something" and did nothing. Oh I forgot he's prob going to the gym!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wasn't there a recent case where a Florida driver was pulled over by transit authority cops that knew he had a carry permit and he was harassed on the side of the road?
    And Maryland proved last year that they don't give a damn about gun owners' privacy.

Yep, there was a story and most of the details in the story were BS. The officer saw his FL CCW and then asked him about any firearms, the officer also asked the wife who gave contradictory information which then lead to a search of the vehicle.

FL doesn't share their CCW database either and to my knowledge, neither does any other state.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yea this is what I really wanted to know. I don't give a shit if I get pulled over, I have nothing of concern, but I don't want to get harassed because of my HQL.

FWIW cops here would have better luck fishing for warrants by reading plates rather than pulling over rednecks. I have a friend who is a Midwest cop who can read plates at night oncoming traffic! He types the plate in without looking and catches a lot of BDs this way.

Shit last week two knuckle heads were smoking while pumping gas just two pumps down from a trooper, I asked if that's illegal and he said "ahh well ya know i think it's like ten feet or something" and did nothing. Oh I forgot he's prob going to the gym!

Then why didn't you just ask directly instead of all of this around the bush BS?

BIGCHRISS197

Jul 4, 2013
    I drive an arrest me red mustang so i can say im well experienced in the art of a traffic stop. Not once have i ever been asked if i have any weapons or anything illegal in my vehicle (which aside from my nitrous bottle i havent lol) nor has my car ever been searched. I try to be as curteous as possible and comply within reason even if im being disrespected and its worked out well for me so far.

dbow

Apr 2, 2013
    Then why didn't you just ask directly instead of all of this around the bush BS?

Apparently, people are getting pulled over while driving towards Brady ranch and getting their legal arms confiscated. Curious to know if a Leo could tell if you had registered weapons by running a plate, or if you had to tell them you had weapons if you were not pulled over for a weapon violation or warrant

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I don't mean to sound coarse or rude, but I am old and impatient. In the 27th post you get to the question you wanted to ask.....why the hell didn't you ask that in the first place instead of going around your ass to get to your elbow and look like a troll fishing for a fight?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Wasn't there a recent case where a Florida driver was pulled over by transit authority cops that knew he had a carry permit and he was harassed on the side of the road?
    And Maryland proved last year that they don't give a damn about gun owners' privacy.

I remember during some of the gun bill testimony I watched this year, a representative from that agency explained the situation. I don't know if the officer "knew" he had a carry permit from his home state, it sounded from what I remember watching more like the guy pulled over either just gave it to him with his drivers license, or had his wallet open and was thumbing through ID cards in plain sight.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I have a carry permit; I have a LEOSA card, my MD registration plates actually have the word "GUNS" on them, my truck has NRA, M1, SASS, IWLA, a Gadsen Flag, and lettering saying A1 Firearms a Sales on it.

I don't get pulled over a lot, but when I have, I have yet to be asked if I have a gun or weapon.

Those who said nobody but Licensing can get carry permit info are incorrect. Though officers can't access the info through their MDTs, almost all police communications centers can get the info on all you registered firearms and permits via computer request in almost real time.

What does that mean? The police can get info on your MD permits and firearms, but it is not a standard practice. I'll bet most of you who have been pulled over were never grilled on weapon possession.

By the way, to the OP, the answer will likely be, "No, You are not free to go. Give my your license and registration please." You were stopped for a traffic issue and can and will be detained until that is resolved.

Last edited:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Got pulled over a couple months ago (MSP)..speeding, had me dead to rights, no issue.. I was hunting that day, just dropped off a deer to the butcher, wearing camo and yes.. he asked if I was carrying weapons, probably saw the muzzleloader case in the back of the SUV (seat was folded down to transport the buck). I answered honestly and he wrote me a ticket. No issues, never asked to see it.

*edit - I have no permits, HQL, etc, and should be in no databases..:innocent0

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Apparently, people are getting pulled over while driving towards Brady ranch and getting their legal arms confiscated. Curious to know if a Leo could tell if you had registered weapons by running a plate, or if you had to tell them you had weapons if you were not pulled over for a weapon violation or warrant

Got no clue where Brady Ranch is, what it is, or what part of the State of Maryland you are playing in. You keep playing in real general terms, get to the point boy get to the point.

dbow

Apr 2, 2013
    Got no clue where Brady Ranch is, what it is, or what part of the State of Maryland you are playing in. You keep playing in real general terms, get to the point boy get to the point.

Sorry "Bundy" ranch. Can't type on this damn phone!

Google "Bundy ranch Nevada"

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have a carry permit; I have a LEOSA card, my MD registration plates actually have the word "GUNS" on them, my truck has NRA, M1, SASS, IWLA, and lettering saying A1 Firearms a Sales on it.

I don't get pulled over a lot, but when I have, I have yet to be asked if I have a gun or weapon.

Those who said nobody but Licensing can get carry permit info are incorrect. Though officers can't access the info through their MDTs, almost all police communications centers can get the info on all you registered firearms and permits via computer request in almost real time.

What does that mean? The police can get info on your MD permits and firearms, but it is not a standard practice. I'll bet most of you who have been pulled over were never grilled on weapon possession.

By the way, to the OP, the answer will likely be, "No, You are not free to go. Give my your license and registration please." You were stopped for a traffic issue and can and will be detained until that is resolved.

If you mean by e-mail request to licensing then yes. If you mean that other agencies such as local, county or even state barracks have access to either database, then you are either incorrect or the MSP lied in a sub-committee hearing this year. Since I know Tom Williams from MSP and has yet to tell an untruth to the MDGA, then that leaves.....

According to the good Captain from the MSP, the database is not externally accessible outside of licensing division, period. It is not shared with any other agency (state, local or county), and any requests for information must provide a reason and contact info.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sorry "Bundy" ranch. Can't type on this damn phone!

Google "Bundy ranch Nevada"

So you are asking about issues in Maryland, based on what is going on 1800 miles away? :sad20:

Different state, different laws.....

dbow

Apr 2, 2013
    So you are asking about issues in Maryland, based on what is going on 1800 miles away? :sad20:

Different state, different laws.....

Shit dblas you're crabby.... Wasn't it just a couple years ago we all put or heads in the sand and said they would never ban ARs?

If people are saying the police are taking their legal guns in Nevada, yea I guess im interested. Frosh is prob takin notes

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Shit dblas you're crabby.... Wasn't it just a couple years ago we all put or heads in the sand and said they would never ban ARs?

If people are saying the police are taking their legal guns in Nevada, yea I guess im interested. Frosh is prob takin notes

I'm crabby because I really hate it when people don't come right out and ask their questions based on what they are thinking. You are as bad as a liberal that says guns are bad, without getting into any details as to why they think guns are bad.

You want a straight answer here, then ask a straight question and qualify it with why you are asking the question. Don't beat around the bush and take up everyone's time trying to guess at what you are trying to get answered.

And I don't remember anyone on this board advocating that the State of Maryland would never band ARs, I for one have never had my head in the sand about this state, speak for yourself in that regard.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I had a cop follow me for several miles one evening when I was in my truck. We came up to a two lane stop light and he pulled up next to me. He motioned to me to roll down my window and I thought I was busted for something. He just gave a big smile with a big thumbs up and he told me how much he liked my license plate.

Generally speaking, if your cool with them and show them respect, they'll be cool with you and show you respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom