• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I've had an interest in BP guns for many years but never owned any...until recently. A Remington 1854, 5 1/2" sheriff's model by Pietta, has made it's way to my home, through Cabella's. Pyrodex P, .454 round ball, supporting equipment and caps are all in place and I'm almost ready to give it a go. This is kind of exciting...a lot of work compared to cartridge weapons but possibly a greater appreciation of where firearms are today. I'm absorbing as much information as possible regarding BP and it's substitutes to keep things safe and to ensure a positive experience in this older technology. Man, those .44 round ball are big! The '54 is a beauty and appears well made though some jewelers files will help remove the sharp edges from the trigger guard opening which could conceivably remove some skin under load. If any of you have an interest in BP revolvers I'd like to hear from you. Thanks...:D

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    My mom has one of the reproduction colt navy revolvers, dont remember the specific year on it though. One thing I would highly recommend is some sort of stand to hold the pistol upright while you are loading it. My mom went through hell trying to load the revolver so I made her a stand. It you can find them on line for cheap but making it yourself gives you alittle more control on size and appreciation for what you have

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have 3. A Ruger Old Army, a Remington 1858 with a 12" barrel and this:

lemat.jpg

until the state decides they are too scary and evil and then I will take them boating.

Last edited:

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    They are fun! I'm not familiar with the 1854 model....I have 2 of the 1858's. Let me know if you have any questions. Did you get the wads??

Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    I have a Uberti Colt 1860 Army. I have a hard time finding caps for it but it is so much fun to shoot.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Definitely make or buy a loading stand.

A loading stand is a BIG help when loading these things.

I banged one together years ago out of two scraps of 1 x 4 and a little brass hinge, but you can buy them from Dixie, and elsewhere no doubt.

I highly recommend a loading stand, but it's not a necessity.

Here's something I posted earlier about loading stands - LOTS OF PHOTOS:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1799068&postcount=11

Oh hell, here's one from Dixie
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=7768

And here's another
    http://possibleshop.com/s-s-pistol-c-b-supply.html

And some other suggestions from the same old thread:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=10

In addition to a loading stand, I very strongly recommend these things:

Quote:
    BETTER YET: Buy about a hundred of these things:
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=7713

They're little rubbery tubes you prepare before you go to the range. Pour a charge of powder in a tube, use a round ball as a "cork" for the tube. Safe, convenient, saves time at the range. To use, pop the ball out of a tube, set ball aside, pour charge in chamber. Repeat for all six or five chambers. Then seat balls. Get a bunch of these tubes. They are great.

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    They are fun! I'm not familiar with the 1854 model....I have 2 of the 1858's. Let me know if you have any questions. Did you get the wads??

Yes I did, 100 lubed wads and 100 dry. Just got 500 caps #11 in today. Your not being familiar with the 1854 is understandable since it doesn't exist...I meant 1858...did I mention I was kind of excited?:lol:

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Understandable....get this....I am cleaning out a closet and I found a stash of .454 balls, wads, and 4# of powder. I bought this a while ago and forgot I had it!! Now shooting BP instead of hard to find regular ammo.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I love my 1860 too! Believe it or not, almost as much power as a 38 special. Very accurate too.

Next step is for me to start casting my own balls :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Made it to the range today with the '58 Remington by Pietta. Went 18 rounds@ 15yds...all center mass. Used 3 separate targets 6rnds each target #1 28gr powder .454rb 3" group, target#2 30gr powder 3 1/2" group, #3@30gr not so hot but POA to POI seems to be right on target, just need to see the sights better and not shake. I'm very satisfied with this revolver, my neighboring range mates, not so much but we did chuckle over the smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom