• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    My dad passed away a few years back and I want to get one of his tractors going again. It's a Farmall Super H (yes, I know the difference between a regular H and a Super, this one is a Super). I have some minor motor work to do to get it running which I am confident I can handle myself, but I remember from when I last parked it that I was grinding up gears pretty bad so I am sure the clutch needs to be replaced. That involves breaking the tractor in half which I'm not thrilled about doing, but may attempt it.

Anyway, in helping me plan this project, is there anyone who would be available in the spring or summer to replace the clutch in a Super H? If so, please let me know much you'll charge for doing so. The tractor is in central Marylandistan (Woodbine).

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    If you have no success finding someone, I have a friend who is a diesel mechanic by trade, and collects tractors as a hobby. He lives in Elkridge and his brother has a farm in W. V. He helps his brother during the cutting and bailing season, so that would be a bad time for him.
    I have made several attempts to get him to join here, but he never has.
    I can try him for you. I'll send him a link to this thread for you.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Do you have to split the tractor on an H to replace the clutch? If so, that is going to be one hell of a job. I would offer help if you lived closer.

I am into antique Farmall tractors but lean towards the smaller tractors. Right now I am restoring a '51 Cub... which is not anywhere near the size of an H letter tractor.

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
      Picture 028.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 220

tailboardtech

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2011
    upperco
    My dad passed away a few years back and I want to get one of his tractors going again. It's a Farmall Super H (yes, I know the difference between a regular H and a Super, this one is a Super). I have some minor motor work to do to get it running which I am confident I can handle myself, but I remember from when I last parked it that I was grinding up gears pretty bad so I am sure the clutch needs to be replaced. That involves breaking the tractor in half which I'm not thrilled about doing, but may attempt it.

Anyway, in helping me plan this project, is there anyone who would be available in the spring or summer to replace the clutch in a Super H? If so, please let me know much you'll charge for doing so. The tractor is in central Marylandistan (Woodbine).

Those tractors are easy to replace all you will need is an engine hoist and 2 weekends take the hood fuel tank grill and steering column off undo the throttle linkages and I think it's 2 bolts on the front of the engine and bellhouseing bolts and pull the motor. I'm pretty sure you don't have to split the tractor it's got a short frame on it. And if ya do just crib the back end up and use the engine hoist to pull the front off. I don't know if I would be able to help as that's a little to far away, but believe me is easy to work on these old girls and there an addictive hobby

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Do you have to split the tractor on an H to replace the clutch? If so, that is going to be one hell of a job. I would offer help if you lived closer.

I am into antique Farmall tractors but lean towards the smaller tractors. Right now I am restoring a '51 Cub... which is not anywhere near the size of an H letter tractor.

Looks great. I like the demonstrator paint job.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Those tractors are easy to replace all you will need is an engine hoist and 2 weekends take the hood fuel tank grill and steering column off undo the throttle linkages and I think it's 2 bolts on the front of the engine and bellhouseing bolts and pull the motor. I'm pretty sure you don't have to split the tractor it's got a short frame on it. And if ya do just crib the back end up and use the engine hoist to pull the front off. I don't know if I would be able to help as that's a little to far away, but believe me is easy to work on these old girls and there an addictive hobby

Ah, thanks! You're right about the frame on an H. It would prolly be way easier (and safer) to pull the motor without splitting the tractor. I guess in my mind I was thinking it was more like a C tractor without a frame. I could probably do this job myself for the cost of the clutch and an engine hoist.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Looks like you have good advice here. I had a '54 Super H some years ago. I loved that tractor!!.. I used it to cut, rake, bale hay and pull a wagon around. Mine had a "manure bucket" on it as well that was pretty handy... Good too see some red tractors fans here. Good luck with your project and please post pics when you can...

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    If you really get in a bind or need some info you should call Jerry Murphy up at Fountain Mills Farm. He is in Ijamsville and is a member of Int'l. Harvester chapter 39 in MD. If you can't find his number let me know and I can dig it up. He is a friend and customer of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom