• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The midterm elections are upon us, but regardless of who occupies the Governor's mansion next term, the reality is the state is overwhelmingly Democratic. It would be interesting to put together a list of common sense adjustments to the state firearms laws, that have a chance of bipartisian support. I have 2 I can think of;

1. Background checks: make them good for 60 days. When I get an HQL I get a background check. Then i turn around the next day and put in the paperwork for a purchase and do another background check. Let's reduce the administrative burden palced on MSP so they can have more time to do what they are trained to do: fight crime.

2. Fired casings requirement: The rumor is that they are not being scanned into a database, and that only one crime has been solved using it. Let's discuss repealing the requirement. Suggest beginning with an elected official submitting a formal queiry to MSP asking a.)How many casings have been received since the law was put in place b.)How many casings have been scanned into a database and c.) How many queiries were placed to the database since its inception. Once again, if its a valid crime tool I have no issues. However, if its not being used for its intended purpose, let's reduce the administrative burden on the State employees involved.

helmetmike

Sep 30, 2010
    So. MD 29B
    2. Fired casings requirement: The rumor is that they are not being scanned into a database, and that only one crime has been solved using it. Let's discuss repealing the requirement. Suggest beginning with an elected official submitting a formal queiry to MSP asking a.)How many casings have been received since the law was put in place b.)How many casings have been scanned into a database and c.) How many queiries were placed to the database since its inception. Once again, if its a valid crime tool I have no issues. However, if its not being used for its intended purpose, let's reduce the administrative burden on the State employees involved.

How about a refund of tax dollar funding wasted by MSP on this farcical crime solving boondoggle. Waste of money, waste of manpower.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    that only one crime has been solved using it.

No crime was solved with it; rather one gun known to have a casing on file was checked and sure enough, there was a casing on file for that gun.

They don't care. Until we start voting delegates and senators out, this is an exercise in futility.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    I know we have better chance of watching hell freeze over. It would be great to have an amendment added to the Maryland Constitution reflecting the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Isn't still a priority to stay in the MDGA's face by proposing pro 2A legislation? Even if Vallario never calls it to vote, it sends a clear message we are there and will not go away after SB281-2013.
    A bill making the HQL process negating purchase background and 7 day wait requirement for 60 day window would be good. There is no safety reason. It is a good vehicle to claim taxing a right.
    How about HQL = carry permit bill? They will shoot anything down anyway so might as well let them have our opinion on this.
    How about citing Gansler's 4th cir. argument and proposing a bill codifying as legal long gun open carry. I am not about the LGOC thing but Gansler made the argument at the 4th cir. so that is ground we fight on. This will also be a good vehicle to push an opinion memorandum on LGOC from frosh.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Remove 7 day wait if you already have at least one regulated firearm registered.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    The shell casing issue was discussed at length in HJC this year (2014). It is agreed by our side , the other side and MSP that not only have zero casings been processed for many years , the actual machine has been sold for scrap. But the HJC leadership ( and by extension the Dem leadership ) WANTS the MSP to have the money as a slush fund.

Yes , it is a good strategy to introduce a plethora of pro gun Bill. Heck this already happens every session. Futile , but still very important to do for the reasons mentioned above , and more.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Remove 7 day wait if you already have at least one regulated firearm registered.

Add that as number 1, but with the provision that you have to demonstrate prior ownership of a regulated firearm to the FFL; NOT the state. Frankly, it's none of the state's business who owns what.

2) Shell casings requirement gone

3) FFLs become the POC for the NICS checks

4) All relevant data must be provided to NICS to make Maryland NICS-compliant

5) Specify "personal safety" and "exercising my rights under the US Constitution" as meeting the G&S requirement or simply repeal G&S altogether (though I prefer the former as it's tougher to reverse later)

6) Remove all place-centered restrictions on carrying (anywhere you have a lawful right to be, you have a lawful right to carry), allow privately owned businesses to post signs disallowing carry as is done in other states

7) Strengthen Maryland's cloudy Castle Doctrine such that people in their own homes don't have to consider the legal ramifications of opening fire to defend themselves and their families against intruders

8) Repeal all magazine size restrictions

9) Remove and outlaw gun ban lists (and as such, the handgun roster board becomes unnecessary)

10) Repeal the HQL requirement and destroy all existing records relating to it

11) Remove all the time credits that allow violent offenders to get out of prison after having served fractions of their sentences

12) Remove the gun ownership restrictions for all non-violent offenders and for anyone receiving a PBJ. Provide a means for those convicted of minor offenses (bar fight that got out of hand thanks to overzealous prosecutors, etc) who've served their time and demonstrated responsibility for a reasonable length of time to regain those rights

13) Provide low-income citizens of Maryland free or reduced cost gun safety and use classes, including home defense and carry defense with vouchers

What else am I missing? Put 50 bills up in the GA and if 48 don't get through, 2 do and we're 2 closer to meeting the spirit of the US Constitution's 2nd amendment.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Add that as number 1, but with the provision that you have to demonstrate prior ownership of a regulated firearm to the FFL; NOT the state. Frankly, it's none of the state's business who owns what.

2) Shell casings requirement gone

3) FFLs become the POC for the NICS checks

4) All relevant data must be provided to NICS to make Maryland NICS-compliant

5) Specify "personal safety" and "exercising my rights under the US Constitution" as meeting the G&S requirement or simply repeal G&S altogether (though I prefer the former as it's tougher to reverse later)

6) Remove all place-centered restrictions on carrying (anywhere you have a lawful right to be, you have a lawful right to carry), allow privately owned businesses to post signs disallowing carry as is done in other states

7) Strengthen Maryland's cloudy Castle Doctrine such that people in their own homes don't have to consider the legal ramifications of opening fire to defend themselves and their families against intruders

8) Repeal all magazine size restrictions

9) Remove and outlaw gun ban lists (and as such, the handgun roster board becomes unnecessary)

10) Repeal the HQL requirement and destroy all existing records relating to it

11) Remove all the time credits that allow violent offenders to get out of prison after having served fractions of their sentences

12) Remove the gun ownership restrictions for all non-violent offenders and for anyone receiving a PBJ. Provide a means for those convicted of minor offenses (bar fight that got out of hand thanks to overzealous prosecutors, etc) who've served their time and demonstrated responsibility for a reasonable length of time to regain those rights

13) Provide low-income citizens of Maryland free or reduced cost gun safety and use classes, including home defense and carry defense with vouchers

What else am I missing? Put 50 bills up in the GA and if 48 don't get through, 2 do and we're 2 closer to meeting the spirit of the US Constitution's 2nd amendment.

All excellent suggestions.

My prediction: we will not even maintain the oppressive status quo

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Because firearms laws conflict with the "shall not infringe" language, make any future regulations temporary. Reconsider after 18 months in place. If the stated intent has not been demonstratably met, automatic repeal. Might force polititians to state their actual intent.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Because firearms laws conflict with the "shall not infringe" language, make any future regulations temporary. Reconsider after 18 months in place. If the stated intent has not been demonstratably met, automatic repeal. Might force polititians to state their actual intent.

Now THIS I like. So not a snowball's chance...
    :sad20:

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Yeah, I know. The real problem IMHO is not the present regulations per se but the simple fact that they keep accreting like barnacles on a ship. Once passed it's in the books and nobody goes back and says " hey, this isn't working like it was intended, let's do something different". I want a safe state to raise my family just like everybody else. Just not convinced the rececent changes are a step toward that goal. Also, not entirely convinced that safer streets is the real intent.

Feb 28, 2013
    All excellent suggestions.

My prediction: we will not even maintain the oppressive status quo

Problem is, anything that actually does involve "common sense" will be easy to paint as "wanting to endanger the lives of our children".:rolleyes:

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Personally I'd like some acknowlement that I am not a criminal. Unlike my non owning neighbors I can prove I'm not a criminal because I have had a background check for each firearm I purchased.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    How about shall issue for open carry? I know there are many debates on the wisdom of open carry,and I personally would not practice regularly. However, there have been a few times I was out in the back country alone (not hunting) that it would have been a welcome tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom