• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    1. Background checks: If you have an HQL, cash and carry any firearm. No $10 check to the MSP.

2. Spent shell: remove the requirement

3. Remove the integral lock, change to must be accompanied by a lock.

4. Create the process to restore one's 2A rights.

5. Define "self-defense" as a good and substantial reason.

6. Pass a resolution, that Maryland recognizes the 2A as is, without interpretation.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Removing the 7 day wait for HQL holders should be a top priority. Should be easy to sell if you bring up how much MSP spends on processing 77r forms. A simple NICS check is sufficient and is on federal dime not the state's.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Budget line item has been gone for years.

Gotta' be a way to change that.

Anyone know how much money the state is wasting for the shell casing program? I'd like to look in to it more, but don't know where to start. I know it was a much talked about topic last session, but I didn't know enough then to pay attention.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Gotta' be a way to change that.

Anyone know how much money the state is wasting for the shell casing program? I'd like to look in to it more, but don't know where to start. I know it was a much talked about topic last session, but I didn't know enough then to pay attention.

Change what, the program isn't funded anymore, hence no budget line for it.

Yes they still do it because it is still in the law to do it, so they pull money from Paul to pay whomever does this.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Yes they still do it because it is still in the law to do it, so they pull money from Paul to pay whomever does this.

And the money is not traceable, black budget

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Get rid of the law and the rest follows....So, concentrate on what we know and not what we can prove/show, and not what we can't.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I think we need to approach this from a different angle.

1.) Shell cases have been sitting in 55 gal drums for years. MDSP no longer possesses the equipment to handle the cases and this dept needs to go. Tax $ savings

2.) Background checks to be turned back to the dealers. Do away with this dept at the MDSP. Tax $ savings

3.) Handgun roster to be done away with. Dept to be done away with. Tax $ savings

Turn the resources who were employed in these departments into street patrols in the city of Baltimore. Have them work with the City department to curtail the drug trafficking off of I-70, I-83 and I-95.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

1.) Shell cases have been sitting in 55 gal drums for years. MDSP no longer possesses the equipment to handle the cases and this dept needs to go. Tax $ savings

2.) Background checks to be turned back to the dealers. Do away with this dept at the MDSP. Tax $ savings

3.) Handgun roster to be done away with. Dept to be done away with. Tax $ savings

Turn the resources who were employed in these departments into street patrols in the city of Baltimore. Have them work with the City department to curtail the drug trafficking off of I-70, I-83 and I-95.

Get your Delegate and Senator kicked out and this is all doable

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg

I did not know this.

I thought I had read in another thread that they wanted to keep it so they would have a slush fund, and I guess I misunderstood that to mean that it was getting funded somehow.

I'll move on. Thanks for the clarification.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I did not know this. I thought I had read in another thread that they wanted to keep it so they would have a slush fund, and I guess I misunderstood that to mean that it was getting funded somehow. I'll move on. Thanks for the clarification.

McDermott submitted the following amendment to the 2015 budget and it was rejected: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014rs/amds/bil_0000/SB0170_34322901.pdf

Floor discussion is here: http://mgaweb3.maryland.gov/Segments/HLS_TS/prior_house/HSE_03262014_1.mp4-20140326-151421.m3u8
    Amendment discussion Starts at 2:29:20.

If it's not being funded, why would McDermott put in an amendment? It may be subsumed by a line item in the MSP budget at the state level, and dumais supported leaving it in, "since it is being wisely spent as discretionary funds", but the mdga was not willing to insert that language to the budget bill, so at some budgetary level, the funding is still being allocated to the program.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    How about.....

Get the MSP out the licensing business all together. Use the DNR, they are more suited to do this NON-POLICE work. Seems to go well for Florida, increase revenue, reduce the number of troopers doing office work, it's a win win.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    1. Convert the hql to a carry permit. The state lost over $2.5 million for fy14 on their estimates of the number of hqls that would be issued. See number 2

2. Add self defense as G&S. Windfall state income for carry permits. The fiscal notes for this legislative proposal last year showed approximately $6M of state incomeif this passed.

3. Drop the shell casing requirement. See last post.

4. Drop the internal lock requirement. Ridiculous. Great presentations last session on this.

5. Drop 7 day wait for prior owners. "Cooling off period (so they call it)" unnecessary for a second purchase.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    A couple of trivia nuggets to consider (regardless of proposals suggested):

• It's a new administration that nobody was prepared to receive. The House and Senate are also getting some shake-up of staff and committees. Did you know that lawmakers are technically on the job until noon of the newly gavelled GA, and they don't have to vacate their office until then? As in, they don't have to clean out their old desk and hand it over until the last minute?
    • The new administration will need to send over its appointees for confirmation to the Senate in mid-February. The GA has until April to move on them.
    • There is a small matter of a budget.
    • The GOP now has new members itching to propose all manner of bills.
    • There is no pre-filing of bills in an election year. So all those new bills will be proposed in January, rather than prior to the GA. That means no time to review prior to session.
    • Oh, and the new Governor is almost surely going to revamp the executive administration, which was custom built by Dems, for Dems, around the structure of the Dem party.

Point is: there are a lot of things to do. I think a lot of people are going to hear, "There is a line, please take a number! We'll get to you as soon as we can!"

Which reminds me of a legislative proposal of my own regarding the MVA...

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    It's not just firearms , MSP is as much a regulatory agency as a LE agency. Give there misc responsabilities to MVA and DNR , and either shrink them by 1/3 , or increase the Troopers on road patrol by 50% .

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    McDermott submitted the following amendment to the 2015 budget and it was rejected: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014rs/amds/bil_0000/SB0170_34322901.pdf

Floor discussion is here: http://mgaweb3.maryland.gov/Segments/HLS_TS/prior_house/HSE_03262014_1.mp4-20140326-151421.m3u8
    Amendment discussion Starts at 2:29:20.

If it's not being funded, why would McDermott put in an amendment? It may be subsumed by a line item in the MSP budget at the state level, and dumais supported leaving it in, "since it is being wisely spent as discretionary funds", but the mdga was not willing to insert that language to the budget bill, so at some budgetary level, the funding is still being allocated to the program.

I thought I remembered DuMais debating for this, thanks for reminding me SNI.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013

Nah, only way you get this done is to go the old Democrat path: redirect the monies and resources to something everybody loves and supports. For example, propose doing all those things and using the funds saved to buy new safety equipment for police officers and to fund better benefits for the widows/widowers of officers who've been killed. Then paint any opposition as wanting cops dead and their families left homeless.

As I said, classic Democrat path.

Code:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom