• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    I intend to remove the front sling swivel and replace the rear single point sling
    plate with a QD plate. Then, I'll be happy. With a full 30rd magazine, it weighs
    an even 10lbs. :thumbsup:

Took some old, rusty 30rd GI mags and refinished them. Stripped, sanded down,
    then duracoated. Replaced old followers with magpul anti-tilts and replaced the
    springs as well. Did 3 layers of duracoat on the bottom under the magwell and
    only one on the portion that goes into the magwell. That was to ensure it would
    still drop free.

(Also, the mag in the photo is empty and the bolt is actually removed to soak for
    cleaning. Safety first!)

fSgpN7U.jpg

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    This thing is awesome. Is it still legal to build? If so, can you list the parts?

It would be as long as you used a Black Hole 16" HBAR-contour barrel.

Found here

Use that barrel, and you're good to go with making it look identical to that rifle sans slightly lighter barrel profile.

Print out a copy of that webpage if you buy the barrel, though, and keep it somewhere safe just in case someone challenges the legality of the build.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    I'm pretty sure that's a factory complete KAC SR-15 Mod 1

You could build something very similar to it, unsure if you could get a KAC lower, and it'd have to have a heavy barrel.

Would there be a problem be finding the lower? Thought those were legal now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Would the problem be finding the lower? Thought those were legal now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd have to find a KAC lower that had never been transferred as a rifle, but only as an "other." Since when they did sell them they were always completed and with stock attached, it's likely they were all transferred as rifles. Not only that, but KAC hasn't sold lowers by themselves in over a year, isn't currently selling them, and likely won't sell them by themselves in the near future due to the demand for whole rifles.

You could get other ambi lowers now, but they won't have the Knight's rollmark, nor will they have the ambi controls in the same places. You could get an LWRCI IC lower in MD, since they're piston rifles with a heavier barrel profile than standard ARs, and then build the rest of it.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    You'd have to find a KAC lower that had never been transferred as a rifle, but only as an "other." Since when they did sell them they were always completed and with stock attached, it's likely they were all transferred as rifles. Not only that, but KAC hasn't sold lowers by themselves in over a year, isn't currently selling them, and likely won't sell them by themselves in the near future due to the demand for whole rifles.

You could get other ambi lowers now, but they won't have the Knight's rollmark, nor will they have the ambi controls in the same places. You could get an LWRCI IC lower in MD, since they're piston rifles with a heavier barrel profile than standard ARs, and then build the rest of it.

This is getting complicated quickly. Just want a nice looking HBAR. Is it cheaper to build one than to buy one? (I'm assuming KAC doesn't make an HBAR like this).

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    This is getting complicated quickly. Just want a nice looking HBAR. Is it cheaper to build one than to buy one? (I'm assuming KAC doesn't make an HBAR like this).

They do not. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a regular lower unless you have a need for the ambidextrous controls. Build that up with the lower parts kit of your choice, add a sopmod stock. Then buy the parts to put together the upper with the KAC URX 3.1 handguard and a heavy barrel and send it to a gunsmith to put together for you. Get KAC front and rear micro sights to finish the look.

Sorry, just realized that's a Magpul STR stock on it, but KAC's come from the factory with SOPMOD stocks.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Forgot to add, if I wanted an MD legal rifle from the factory that was nice looking (of course, looks are subjective and in the eye of the beholder) I'd get something like the one below (LWRC IC SPR with 14.7" Barrel).

Attachments

• pt_84920.jpeg
      pt_84920.jpeg
      25.2 KB · Views: 805

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    $1300 max. If I really, really love it I might go up to $1500.

Get a urx handguard, the barrel I linked earlier, and standard forged lower/upper. You'll spend less and it'll look very similar.

What Armed Ferret Said. Also keep in mind that the URX handguard requires a specific barrel nut wrench to install which I believe costs around $100 in and of itself.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    Get a urx handguard, the barrel I linked earlier, and standard forged lower/upper. You'll spend less and it'll look very similar.

Colt AR6721 AR-15A3 Tactical

Can you just buy something like that and change out the hand guard? I'm not a huge fan of the round ones. I'm trying to soak up all the information I can to build one, but it appears to be quite the daunting task at the moment.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Colt AR6721 AR-15A3 Tactical

Can you just buy something like that and change out the hand guard? I'm not a huge fan of the round ones. I'm trying to soak up all the information I can to build one, but it appears to be quite the daunting task at the moment.

You'd have to chop the front sight and do the work to replace the handguard with one of your choice. I'd just contact Engage Armament in Rockville and see what they can put together off the bat for you within your budget. They have pretty sweet HBAR rifles of their own manufacture and if you ask nicely and pay for it they're pretty open to customizing it to your specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom