• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S1owJam

Bad Man Stopper Man
    Jan 10, 2013
    Abingdon, MD
    I'd like to get back out hunting, and now that I've put some roots down here in MD, I guess I need to learn some of the ropes out here. Not a first time hunter (grew up in MI hunting White Tail), but a first time hunter in MD. It seems like finding a good spot is tricky out here without knowing someone.

If anyone's got any advice for some solid locations I would definitely be grateful. I've got no problems traveling, and am looking for bow/rifle/shotgun.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Prime deer hunting land is now owned by Volvo driving hipster douchenozzles PETA members who hate deer hunters.

Good luck.

PS: You could try the local reservoirs for bow/crossbow.

But then you have to deal with the anorexic kale eating health Nazis that do laps around your tree stand while whistling songs from the movie Bambi.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It depends on what you do for a living. I have, for years, run my mouth on jobs about deer hunting. I've made a few friends and made a few enemies(I'm sure) running my yap about hunting. I've also made good connections. A lot of those 'hipster douchenozzels' are getting sick of their gardens getting plundered. Never be afraid to run your mouth. It works. Find farmers in the early spring and ask them if they'd mind if you shot some of their ground hogs. Sometimes it takes a couple years. keep at it, you got nothing to lose.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Get a vanity tag. Seriously. About 10 years ago I was down in Edgewater taking a mortgage application from a young guy with a basement loaded with full mounts of all kinds. I commented on the tag on his pickup DEER@, don't want to post the #. He told me that since he got it he's never had to look for a place to deer hunt. People come up to him all the time at gas stations, convenience stores etc. and ask if he hunts. They just about beg him to come and kill deer on their property. He's a big bow hunter.
    I might as well be a new hunter. Used to hunt all over Balt County in the 70's with a friend who knew everyone. He moved to PA and I stopped hunting for about 30 years and every place we hunted is now developed. I can't even find a place to hunt varmints now. Good luck in your quests guys, it's not easy nowadays.

CLee

Mar 31, 2013
    Pax River area
    If you have agriculture/farming in the area go talk to the farmers. most, if not all, will probably have crop damage permits as well. That's a start. Bow hunting gives you a much longer season than gun and some farmers are a little more welcoming of bow hunters than gun for some reason.

We're in SOMD and actually hunt our HOA property and one of the bases here. (Hubby is retired Navy) Our HOA property borders a farm and we have permission from the farmer behind us for his property as well because of the deer eating his crops.

But yes, connections help. Talk to other hunters and just ask.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I haven't hunted in decades but assume my thoughts are still valid......try and find a hunting club that leases their own land.....avoid public hunting land.....too many crazies that somehow believe deer and other game wear orange hunting vests and you can easily be mistaken as a target..........

The club I once belonged to leased land not far from Black Water Refuge....I would think many clubs still exist today and that there are lots of forum members belonging to such clubs....

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I haven't hunted in decades but assume my thoughts are still valid......try and find a hunting club that leases their own land.....avoid public hunting land.....too many crazies that somehow believe deer and other game wear orange hunting vests and you can easily be mistaken as a target..........

The club I once belonged to leased land not far from Black Water Refuge....I would think many clubs still exist today and that there are lots of forum members belonging to such clubs....

The problem with most clubs is that they don't advertise that they got a opening like the one I'm in. They only way to get in is to know someone that's already a member cause they don't want no nut ball joining. So the best way is to get it out there that you are a hunter and looking for a place to hunt. Back in the 80's my uncle went to a fruit stand that was in centerville all the time cause the guy had great corn. Well after a couple of summers of going down there and buying the guts stuff and just talking to him the farmer offered him ti hunt geese down there. That was 30 years ago and we still hunt there to this day. And we still make it a point to go there a bunch of times each summer to buy his corn even tho there's a stand down the street from me.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I have said this a hundred times, find a farmer and help out during the spring and summer and then ask for permission to hunt in the fall. farmers always like free help, especially older ones.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Pick up a Maryland Hunting and Fishing Journal, free in many gun shops and sporting goods stores. I believe it's monthly or bimonthly. Often times there are groups looking for another member for their lease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom