• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    I know what you mean MrWhiteRabbit. Not firearm related, but I have been waiting for tires to come in for my Jeep from store "A" for over 2 weeks now. I paid for the tires, than after they were paid for was informed they had to order them. Great, thanks for the tip before I paid for them. Not like there isn't 4 dealers for this brand within 10 miles.. But, I left it be. They tell me 3-5 days. Okay, no big deal. Its holiday season, might take a few more, no big deal. A week goes by. No phone call. I call them. Yea, your three tires are in. Three? What am I going to do with three? Add another spare? So I get a call back, problem with the disruptor. Okay, sure, no big deal. Call me when the 4th is in. A week later, no call. I call him and get "YOU again (only second time I called in 2 weeks, and I was nice both times). I will call YOU when it comes. Trust me, I need these things out of my shop ASAP. I need the room. Don't bother calling unless your returning our phone call." Well, that was sweet. Now I really want to spend another $1000 there. Been about 2 and half weeks now, still no call. I called again friday, ready to tear into them if I got any crap for calling about my 3-5 day tires that are taking over 16 days. "Oh, yea. I meant to call them Wensday and Thursday, but kept forgetting. Let me call them and call you back." No phone call, big surprise. I called Saturday, to see if he called. "Ah man, I forgot to call, call me Monday and remind me to call them." Right, because that's my job. So I call today. "NO.. They are NOT in yet. I told you I would call you as soon as they show up, I don't have the room for them anyway." "You told me to call you and remind you to call them (getting old). You kept FORGETTING to call about my missing tire." "Oh, right, I'm busy, I'll call you right back." Now he finds out Fed-Ex lost the tire, and they are shipping a new one next day, but it can't be sent out until tomorrow because he waited too late in the day to call. They apparently knew the tire was lost last week, but were waiting to see if it showed up since no one called about it. Great, not like I wanted those new tires in the snow storm or anything.

I am with you MrWhiteRabbit, none of this is a huge deal, it's just a shame that most people are running there businesses like they are doing you a favor, and not the other way around. It is hard to find places, like Five Guys for example, but still believe the customer is what keeps food on their table. For them it doesn't matter how they treat you, your a nuisance and you can only go to them for a product. At least that's how they think it seems.

I have had pretty good experiences almost everywhere I have gone gun store wise, with the exception of one place. But, this one particular place is not known for customer service, and I only deal with him every once in awhile because he is a dealer for a certain brand of knives, and is the only one within reasonable driving distance.

Like Squirrels said though, most places were a little ... distant.. and a little bit apprehensive/defensive until I talked to them for a little bit, handled a firearm safely, and came back a few more times. Like squirrels said, once you show them you aren't one of those people that are just wasting everyone's time looking at plastic pistols because they are "cool" and have no intention to do anything but hold a gun and pull the trigger, the customer service changes quiet a bit.

I don't know anything about the GC issue, and frankly don't want to. Not my business. I have only had one experience with GC, and it was a good one. Same thing as regular stores, a little apprehensive until he finished with his customer and I talked to Dan for a few minutes. Told him I heard about him on MDshooters, and had sent him an email about a problem I was having with a rifle. He was very helpful and hooked me up pretty good. When the time comes to buy a new firearm, he certainly will be given a hard look. I just wish he was a little closer.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    ....................Mostly with Tyrone at on-target , Jeff at Just Guns, and the folks at white marsh and Continental. .........

x2. I have never had a bad experience at On-Target, and Tyrone is one of, if not my favorite person to deal with. Although a lot of them are super informative, such as Ed and the older woman working all the time(forget her name:o). Just Guns just sold me a Saiga a few months back, and was another good store to deal with. Nice, helpful, and informative from start to finish. One of the "helpers" even kept my girlfriend busy talking to her about smaller caliber handguns that she can handle since she is tiny. On target usually does the same, keeps her occupied with a conversation while I am shooting or looking at firearms if she ends up tagging along.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I've been into GC a few times so far. I wish I could have bought my gun from Dan, but I at least was able to take him up on the deal he offers on transfers for forum members. I've only been in there to do paperwork and buy a few small things on random trips so far, but each time I've been treated right by all of the staff. Maybe it's just me, but I've been treated well everywhere I go except for a 'select' store that everyone else seems to love as well.

poursuivant

Sep 21, 2007
    Baltimore
    Hmmm. I'm a "guest" if I go into a shop? This is a SERVICE industry we're talking about right? There's no need to be an a$$ as a customer but its not the customer who goes out of business. There are other options out there for the buyer, especially in the age of web sales, for any seller to assume bad service won't come back to bite him.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    x2. I have never had a bad experience at On-Target, and Tyrone is one of, if not my favorite person to deal with. Although a lot of them are super informative, such as Ed and the older woman working all the time(forget her name:o).

That would be Helen and she is not only a great store person, but she is a huge activist. Ed and Tyrone know what it's all about WRT to customer service. Given the area that they are in and some of the boneheads that stumble in there, they do a remarkably good job of maintaining their sense of humor.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I can only speak to my own experience. In this area, I have dealt with Continental, Gun Connection, Horst and McCann, Bel Air Gun and Pawn, and Select Fire. The last two need never worry about me darkening thier doorways again and those stories are detailed elsewhere.

The guys at Gun Connection have always been courteous and helpful to me. The way Mr LaFrance describes his local shop is the way I'm treated there. I'm greeted by name and when I ask what's new, they know my gun interests well enough to know what to show me. This repoir was not built in one visit, but it didn't take many. Dan and his crew may covertly think I'm the biggest pain in the ass they've ever met, but they've never indicated that to me or treated me as anything other than a valued customer.

H&M is just flat out to expensive for my tastes. I have found thier customer service to be decent, but I do usually get a feeling that they're pushing pretty hard for sales. I rented a pair of 1911's when they first opened. When I came off the line, they had worked up prices for me for both guns in multiple finishes, highlighting the ones that I had rented. I thought this was over-the-top, but others would probably consider it good sales practice. I only go there once or twice a year now because I have a pistol grip only shotgun that I can't fire at Continental. If Continental ever lifts that restriction, I'll probably not be back at H&M, but that's thier pricing, not thier people.

Last but not least for me is Continental. I REALLY wish they were a little closer to me, but I really can't complain about a 30 min drive for a top notch facility. The guys there have treated me well through 1 purchase, 1 transfer and 2 years as a member of the range. Jay spent a lot of time 2 years ago patiently explaining to me the differences between the Buckmark and the Mark III and showing me how to disassemble the Browning. Hell, they're friendly enough that my wife will shoot there with me.

My experience, 2 out of 5 top notch, 2 out of 5 garbage, 1 good customer service but overpriced.

Grampaw

Constitutionalist
    Nov 14, 2008
    Perryville, MD
    The forum at large. I'm not thinking of any one particular user's opinion.

Let me amend what I said to read "here on the forum".

Shortly, last time I walked in there I had $500 burning a hole in my wallet and I still had it when I walked out. I don't see a point in spending money when someone who works there is making it plain he thinks I'm an annoyance and goes out of his way to let others know it. There are other stores closer and friendlier, so the money's been spent where they don't wish I'd just go away.

And as a wise man once said, "That's all I'm gonna say about that."

I have been in Gun Connection at least once a week, and often more than once, every week since I discovered it a little over a year ago. I have seen both Dan and Ron continue to try to be helpful even after a customer behaved in a manner that would have gotten them kicked out of most stores. If someone goes into any store and does nothing but criticize the products or prices, or acts like they are more important than anyone else, they deserve to get thier feelings hurt. I do not believe we have heard an unbiased statement of the facts that prompted this complaint in the first place. I have been shooting rifles for over 50 years, and I reccomend Gun Connection to anyone that is looking for a good gun shop.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Maybe it's just me, but I've been treated well everywhere I go except for a 'select' store that everyone else seems to love as well.

Ha Ha, that's funny.

<subliminal message>(Select Fire can kiss my taint.)</subliminal message>

My biggest problem with local gun shops is their lack of inventory. For instance, I currently need a brass catcher- good luck finding one locally. I could order one on the net, but I'd rather support local guys.

I'm considering taking up reloading. Good luck finding a selection of loading stuff at area gunshops (except Continental, but I don't want to take out a second morgage to buy $1,000 worth of Dillon stuff). Yes, I could drive all over Maryland and visit a few shops and piece together a reloading setup, but I'd burn $20 in gas and pay a 30% premium for the pleasure.

Or, I could just go to midwayusa.com and get everything I need delivered to my door. (Which I still haven't done, because I'm holding out hope someone locally will begin stocking before I'm ready to begin reloading in January)

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Random question. Is that Andy Nelson BBQ joint any good up by there? Trying to make a trip out of it one weekend.

I don't think there is any better in the state of Maryland, maybe the entire region. Andy is a good ole' Alabama boy and knows how to make BBQ. He is also one of the old school Baltimore Colts- played safety and was on two Championship teams including the "The Game" team of 58. His sons Paul and Andy Jr. run the place and are great people.

DorGunR

R.I.P.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Severn
    I buy all my guns and accessories at Scott's in Glen Burnie .......why?.....because they know me well and I like the people there.

Yeah, I could shop at other gun stores but I like to shop where people know me and I'm treated well, that's why Scott's gets all of my gun business.

Lostfantum

Ultimate Member
    Nov 27, 2007
    Middle River, Maryland
    I have only been in GC a few times to look around and make small accessory purchases til yesterday. Dan took the time to take apart a handgun of mine to find out why I was having problems with it. He had several other customers come in, we were all treated great.From what I have seen Dan and Ron go above on the customer service end of business.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I have dealt twice with Gun Connection and had great experiences. Told them I was from this site and wanted to see what I wanted to buy, and bought it. Quick, expert service from them. Would go back again!

I have dealt twice with Horst and McCann and also had great experiences. Got a good deal on a used AR and went back for a collapsible stock because it was a pre-ban. Spent Thanksgiving morning emailing the owner back and forth. Thought it came with a collapsible but I didn't realize it was fixed until I got it home. Offered to replace it at his cost but it wasn't his fault. Got the new one installed there in record time. Would go back and try out the range.

I will NEVER buy tires in Maryland again. I will drive to PA and get it done every time. MD people have always messed up my lugs and rims and overcharged for the service. I'd rather drive 3 hours and get it done near my dad's house while I wait for $20/tire less, by my blue collar friends who have respect for other's cars.

julyccc

Sep 4, 2008
    Howard County, MD
    I bought my EBR from Dan. It was a nice shop to deal with. I only been there twice but good customer services. When I picked up my EBR, the shop was really busy and Dan still showed me how to field strip the AR.

I would probably go back there again.

I am a member at On target so I never have any problems there.

I have been to continental once. the staff that I dealt with an older guy, a little stiff but still OK.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    The only Maryland store I have been to that had decent prices was GC and I have been treated well. They just have not had what I was looking for at the time and are a bit far away for me.

That being said, I have found it to be less expensive to purchase in PA and do the transfer. The "good ole' boys" I have dealt with across the state line have universally been helpful and competitive.

I HAVE gotten the cold shoulder in other Maryland gun stores for the most part. It seems that store workers just do not tend to be "people persons".

I think Maryland stores suffer from a lack of competition. There are not many of them and if you want to buy local, you are stuck with prices that approach, match, or exceed MSRP.

I also think that owners and employees suffer from a suspicious outlook on new people. We live in an anti-gun state and I would bet that they catch some flak from the odd anti person that wonders in off the street to cause trouble. In PA, there seems to be a much different atmosphere.

Splitter

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I don't think there is any better in the state of Maryland, maybe the entire region. Andy is a good ole' Alabama boy and knows how to make BBQ. He is also one of the old school Baltimore Colts- played safety and was on two Championship teams including the "The Game" team of 58. His sons Paul and Andy Jr. run the place and are great people.

Damn you! Why'd you have to go and say that?

I guess I'll be making a trip up that way soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom