• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Police Officers and State Troopers are usually not permitted to pull MILES/CJIS information for citizens on request.

That does not include information provided at accident scenes or so that a complainant can obtain a warrant or DCS, but generally, you can't just ask an officer to run and provide info off that system.

They should be able to tell you the proper procedure for requesting you registrations off the MGUN system, (if that is what they still call it these days). My guess, though I may be wrong, is that MSP will provide you with a procedure to get what you want.

I would certainly hope that the good folks at MSP would do exactly as you describe. I don't see any way that any agency could have the authority to deny you information about yourself.

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    The Licensing Division gets requests from individuals to provide a copy of the historical data of firearm transfers. It is a simple inquiry that doesn't take long to answer. You are entitled to the information.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The Licensing Division gets requests from individuals to provide a copy of the historical data of firearm transfers. It is a simple inquiry that doesn't take long to answer. You are entitled to the information.

Did I do right by submitting it through the licensing division email Jack?

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014

Attachments

• APPLICATION FOR ACCESS TO PUBLIC RECORD SUBMISSION FORM_1.pdf
      104.6 KB · Views: 94

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Update!

CC'd on an email from MSP Licensing's F/Sgt. Casey who forwarded it to the Firearms Registration Unit and told them to contact me directly regarding my request.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I thought the MSP paperwork for firearms was just a record of sale, not a "registration".

What happens if you sell a firearm to an out-of-state FFL? Does MSP still show the firearm as "registered to you"?

If a later owner commits a crime in MD with it, what happens when they look at their records and find the gun "registered to you"?

All good questions

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I thought the MSP paperwork for firearms was just a record of sale, not a "registration".

What happens if you sell a firearm to an out-of-state FFL? Does MSP still show the firearm as "registered to you"?

If a later owner commits a crime in MD with it, what happens when they look at their records and find the gun "registered to you"?

The question above in BOLD, according to the 2 FFL's I asked, said until a firearm is SOLD, and re-registered, it shows you as the owner....just like a motor vehicle. By law it is "logged in" to the ATF, but YOU are the last registered owner...until a new owner is in the system.

True Story:
    If you sell your car, and and new owner has no license and steals license plates to put on that car. When he wrecks it into a parked car, and catches your "old" car and the parked car on fire...the POLICE come to your door...I know this as FACT, because I had it happen...

I'd imagine this same scenario with a firearm, would easily get real ugly and complicated for you...real fast.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

It's a "voluntary registration"

Yes. Even if you sell in in state through MSP it will still show up as belonging to you AND the new owner.

You will get a call from the nice homicide detective to see if you are willing to admit it is still registered to you(got the call for a gun I NEVER owned (Lorcin 380) but that had the same serial number as a lower(ar15) I own).

They are used to the records being wrong.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I've been told that by several federal government entities and followed their guidance. In every case they took months to respond and when they finally responded they told me I should have made the request via the FOIA process. They seem to be relying on the average requestor to abandon their efforts because of the bureaucracy involved. Even under FOIA they take forever, then come back to you with a statement of what might be available and how much it will cost you to get the copies.

Those are the hidden gotchas you may encounter, I think. At least at the Federal level.

And if I believe the stories, MSP procedure is to print out the database query results and then FAX it to the barracks where the request came from so they can mail it to you.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    No.

Sales records are held at the FFL and only sent to the ATF if the FFL goes out of business.

I was referring to a handgun that they take possession of (like as a trade in, or buy), not a sale. Although one place I deal with has specifically said they had to "log it in" before me doing the paperwork on a new gun I ordered in...

If that isn't true, then not one, but TWO of our IP's lied to me, I guess, because they both stated the exact same thing, and I was just passing it on...

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I was referring to a handgun that they take possession of (like as a trade in, or buy), not a sale. Although one place I deal with has specifically said they had to "log it in" before me doing the paperwork on a new gun I ordered in...

If that isn't true, then not one, but TWO of our IP's lied to me, I guess, because they both stated the exact same thing, and I was just passing it on...

By log it in they mean manually enter it into their shop records.....

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    So, to continue the conversation... suppose I rceive my list and there are errors:

1. lists firearms I no longer own
    or
    2. Lists firearms I have posession of but with incorrect sereal numbers or incorrect description. Is there a method to correct the records?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    #1 I would guess there is no process to delete any previous transfers. Imagine how many more errors there could be if it was someone's job to do that. Plus I think you're looking at it wrong, its a transfer. It was transferred to you on such date and that's all they info they currently record.

#2 Not sure, I personally don't care and it definitely isn't my job to make sure someone who works for someone else did something right.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    Good for you. My local politicians could give a rat's ass about my 2A concerns; they have enough votes from my neighbors to sit in the GA for the rest of their lives, and for a decade after they're dead.

And here I thought it was just the voters that continued on after death. :innocent0

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    So, to continue the conversation... suppose I rceive my list and there are errors:

1. lists firearms I no longer own
    or
    2. Lists firearms I have posession of but with incorrect sereal numbers or incorrect description. Is there a method to correct the records?

I have experienced BOTH of those issues in the last 10 days. :mad54:

Patiently waiting on word of if/when, due to PIA, I can get copy of my records to verify that I have at least 2 firearms on my "sheet", that are in possession of an IP here. Already seen the MSP restricted sheet showing ME as registered owner of both still, so I'm curious to see what "mine" will say, or if it is the same. :innocent0

as for #2, MSP was able to correct another FFL's incorrectly recorded serial number, so I am REALLY curious to see what my records say regarding that debacle...will the wrong serial number be deleted? or will it show TWO serial numbers for the same gun....which coincidentally turned out to be stolen...:sad20:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    FWIW,

Trooper called me today stating that I was able to get copies of my firearm records. Two pages and it will be $5.25 for copies, lol...:rolleyes:

AND...
    To retrieve them, I have to go in person to the "temporary" Licensing Division "trailer" at 1201 Reistertown Road, Monday through Friday between 8am and 4pm.

More importantly...
    He also stated that you do not need to do this through a PIA request, but you can simply go to the Licensing Division during normal business hours and show ID, make the request, and walk out with them (after making check or money order payment)...

His words, not mine.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    FWIW,

Trooper called me today stating that I was able to get copies of my firearm records. Two pages and it will be $5.25 for copies, lol...:rolleyes:

AND...
    To retrieve them, I have to go in person to the "temporary" Licensing Division "trailer" at 1201 Reistertown Road, Monday through Friday between 8am and 4pm.

More importantly...
    He also stated that you do not need to do this through a PIA request, but you can simply go to the Licensing Division during normal business hours and show ID, make the request, and walk out with them (after making check or money order payment)...

His words, not mine.

Ask him to email them. That has been done before. No need to copy them when he can email or fax them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom