• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    warning, lots of words

A few weeks ago I decided it was time for me to learn to shoot. Its been on my bucket list for a long time. I'm a sucker for skills acquisition, and theres a good list of classic skills that I will attain, stuff like straight razor shaving, ability to ride a motorcycle (the modern horse?) with some degree of skill, climbing and belaying, etc, etc. Firearm handling and competence has been on my list for a long long time!

I have clear recollections of getting books on shotguns and military rifles from the library as a ~10 year old. Actions in particular fascinate me in their operation and various attempts to solve the problems of reliability, recoil, ergonomics, weight, durability. In this electronic and computerized era, the fact that 40-100 year old designs that run only only springs, levers, elasticity and small explosions are still relevant an in use is just awesome.

And with that massive pre-amble, now my detailed and not that interesting tale...

Last Sunday I had some free time, and had to decide being going to Gilbert in Rockville or OnTarget. Gilbert has a policy statement on their website explaining that if you don't have someone with their own firearm accompanying you and don't own your own firearm, you may not rent and shoot. Clearly and easily located. Therefore I did not go there. No firearm!

So I went to OnTarget and was quite disappointed to find out they have the same policy. I don't mind the policy, only that they didn't publish it on their website. I'm sure they do enough business that it doesn't matter, but its a nice thing to let prospective customers know! I did mention it to the staff, who were polite, saying perhaps someone should amend the published rules.

With another chunk of free time on Weds, I was able to head out to FreeState who have their new shooter policy clearly laid out. I took the brief training course and took 100rds of 22LR and a Ruger MkIII to the range. 2 5 round clips under supervision and I was on my own! The 22 was pretty fun.
    But also very very dirty and it began to eat my ammo after about 20-25 rounds. Failures out the wazoo with the slide shutting on the ammo stuck into the hood or scraped up so bad it wouldn't chamber. I exchanged it and got another MkIII that wasn't much better in terms of ejection but at least stopped eating the ammo. Again, I was treated well on site and made my concerns known, I'm not here to complain about either place at all, just sharing my newbie perspective, perhaps for a future prospective shooter.

The upside of these messy Rugers was that I got a good amount of practice clearing jams, safely clearing the weapon with hot rounds, etc. From a mechanical perspective it was kinda fun to work through all that stuff, with each one being a new (and moderately high stakes) puzzle. Maybe everyone wouldn't agree with my perspective on jams and ruined ammo, but I was pleased. They also gave me a box of ammo free, which was nice! And now I can shoot there unaccompanied, which is great. I'm in my mid 30s with kids, so the idea needing a chaperon makes me giggle.

And today I headed back to FreeState with a buddy for some more range fun. My buddy is former service and a life-time shooter and enthusiast so I was able to pick his brains, get in some good practice and have a load of fun. I rented a Glock 17 - I asked a nice employee what he recommended and he liked the H&K P30. I respect his opinion! He likened the Glock 17 to a Honda Civic, in a non-disparaging way, but I got his point. I mentioned to him that I love my mid 90s Civic and rented the Glock. But I'll be sure to try the P30 the next time, because I really do value experienced input.

With 50 rounds for the G17 and 100 for my pal's XD 45, I had a literal and figurative blast. Saw some fun firearms being used in the lanes around and got lots of mindful practice. I'm hooked without a doubt, which is why I signed up here. I am sure the answers to dozens of my questions can be found on this forum and so I look forward to combing the archives. I plan to use many more firearms before I purchase one of course.

I'm going to brain dump my week 1 questions here, but feel free not to answer them (or do, but don't worry I'll find resources). Over time, I'll try to add in links to resources I find to answer these ...

Where can I shoot a rifle near me?
    Where can I rent a rifle? Can I? If not, how do I find individuals to borrow them from?
    How many rounds should one shoot to get a valid opinion on a firearm? 25? 250? 2500?
    What sort of practice and drills should I exercise to attain proficiency in a pistol or rifle?
    How does one measure that progress? Are there standardized tests in both accuracy and time?

TL;DR - Wanted to learn to shoot, started this week, want to understand how to do it well and make good use of time and money, want to try out lots of firearms.

Dec 31, 2012
    One of the better intros I have read.

Welcome aboard.

Where can I rent a rifle?

Freestate offers rifles albeit at only 25 yards.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Good story. Sounds like your journey is not unlike my own.

Measuring proficiency can be tough unless you have an overarching goal in mind. For example, are you more interested in pure bullseye shooting or more "defensive" shooting?

Getting training early on can, with the right trainer, keep you from developing bad habits early on.

Rifles up to .223 can be used at Freestate, though I'm not sure they rent any there.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Welcome! You are on a journey where there are no absolute answers. I can only speak from my own experience, but the longer you shoot firearms the more you will figure out what you enjoy. Shoot everything you can get your hands on. Make decisions later.

Some guys are great at cowboy action and that's what they love. Others do high power. Or trap. Or whatever. Make friends and they will offer to let you shoot their stuff, sometimes at their ranges. This is an awesome band of brothers.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Best intro post EVER!

:wave:
    I'm a member at freestate. Similar age, kids, etc. Drop me a PM if you ever wanna meet up at the range. I have plenty of toys to bring as well. :D

Have fun on the site here and try not to let anyone get under your skin. It's been known to happen from time to time. :lol2:

MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    One of the better intros I have read.

Welcome aboard.

Where can I rent a rifle?

Freestate offers rifles albeit at only 25 yards.

Thanks! I didn't seem them tagged or offered, so I'll inquire next time.

Good story. Sounds like your journey is not unlike my own.

Measuring proficiency can be tough unless you have an overarching goal in mind. For example, are you more interested in pure bullseye shooting or more "defensive" shooting?

Getting training early on can, with the right trainer, keep you from developing bad habits early on.

Rifles up to .223 can be used at Freestate, though I'm not sure they rent any there.

I guess I need to find out what my goals are. They're vague as of yet, but its about the journey is it? (like with everything else)

I did have some real solid training today, which I liked, another pair of eyes and a brain to pick is invaluable.

Thank you for your good advice and I'll ponder and explore what it is I want to be be able to do. Pure bulls-eye sounds a little boring and expensive. 3-gun seems fun but also seems to have a hefty equipment cost. Some kinda scaled down 3-gun maybe... (this might exist? so much to read)

Howdy and welcome.

Hi!

Welcome! You are on a journey where there are no absolute answers. I can only speak from my own experience, but the longer you shoot firearms the more you will figure out what you enjoy. Shoot everything you can get your hands on. Make decisions later.

Some guys are great at cowboy action and that's what they love. Others do high power. Or trap. Or whatever. Make friends and they will offer to let you shoot their stuff, sometimes at their ranges. This is an awesome band of brothers.

I will do precisely what you've recommended. Shoot lots of things and take notes about what I enjoyed. I'll also try to network - step 1 register here and introduce myself.

I have polled my RL friends who own firearms, and lined up a few things to shoot - FNX45, AR clone, AK clone, M&P 9mm, Beretta Storm 9mm. Theres an awful lot of interesting fire-arms out there though!

-----------------------------------------

And speaking of notes... after a few trials with each I did a test today with the G17 and XD45, 5 shots each. The groups were similarly distributed with no real better grouping. Later, when challenged to a 10 round test vs my pal (loser buys cigars), I elected the Glock, but I chose because I could see the sights better. The felt recoil was only slightly higher on the XD, but it felt like I was trying to see OVER it? That might have a term in the shooter parlance, but the glock was simply easier for me to see and hit what I was aiming for. Both felt perfectly ergonomic. I don't have enough experience to comment on the triggers. I do know that when I shot my best groups today it was because I focused on 3 things:

1. Core tightness and leaning into it
    2. Breath control/timing
    3. Even trigger closing, no jerking it

We tied in the challenge though, with 7 hits in the smallest area and 3 outside into the next lower point value. At 6 yard or meters, I'm not sure. I don't THINK he tied me on purpose, mostly because he knows I have the cigars on hand...and I did take about 4x longer to shoot my 10

My best group of the entire day was when I fired 5 from the Glock near the end, with the stated goal of shooting on each breath. Prior to that I had been firing on every other respiration and I think the time under tension was actually making it harder. I felt like there was a rhythm to that one trial, I'd like to be able to produce that rhythm on demand!

MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Best intro post EVER!

:wave:
    I'm a member at freestate. Similar age, kids, etc. Drop me a PM if you ever wanna meet up at the range. I have plenty of toys to bring as well. :D

Have fun on the site here and try not to let anyone get under your skin. It's been known to happen from time to time. :lol2:

Awesome! Thanks and I shall!

This is entirely for fun and the journey. I might make a long principled reply about something in the future, but only because I'm a terrible pedant! I think I've been part of enough forum communities to keep my cool though, perfect practice makes perfect. :innocent:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Great intro. You've done a lot of homework for a newbie, or you're a ringer! Welcome.

What made you decide that now was the time to start, and what made you wait until now?

MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Great intro. You've done a lot of homework for a newbie, or you're a ringer! Welcome.

What made you decide that now was the time to start, and what made you wait until now?

The internet is a wealth of information and disinformation, I just try to sort it and fast. Good at homework, def not a ringer, just a nerd.

I caught the gun-fever during my fantasy football draft in early September. A friend told me he was finishing an 80% lower and I should come see it. I had no idea at the time what an 80% lower was, but Univ of Google quickly caught me up and led me into a research binge. Pure curiosity is dangerous!

What made me wait until now is simply diversity of interests and the practical limits of time and money. I've done lots of stuff, want to do lots more and sometimes you just gotta serialize the pursuits. I know I'll never explore it all though. Some things I've explored have become lifelong pursuits or habits. Others I've done to my own satisfaction and let go knowing I can always come back.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    Welcome! There is a ton of excellent information here on mdshooters! You should check out Maryland 2A section in the forums. If you think you may purchase a handgun in the future, you are going to need a HQL Handgun Qualification License. I am looking forward to more post from you.:thumbsup:

MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Haha, good. Now get your butt out of the intro section and start bumping that post count(they don't count in this section). Something magical happens when you hit 50;)

I've got a date with the search function, and need to get a feel for the tone of the forum before I head out of the newbie safe zone. But I'll hit my 50, don't worry!

I do hope that the magical thing is someone sending me a free Ruger Mini-30 or 14 in 300AAC. :lol2:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I've got a date with the search function, and need to get a feel for the tone of the forum before I head out of the newbie safe zone. But I'll hit my 50, don't worry!

I do hope that the magical thing is someone sending me a free Ruger Mini-30 or 14 in 300AAC. :lol2:

Search button, eh? I still haven't found that one. My favorite is "new posts" :lol2:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Welcome aboard and a fine introduction indeed. Your experience with the River isn't uncommon. Much bulk .22 ammo is less than high quality and rental .22 handguns get a lot of use and tend to be filthy. I'm glad you have opportunities to try other weapons and I wish you safe and happy shooting.

MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Welcome! There is a ton of excellent information here on mdshooters! You should check out Maryland 2A section in the forums. If you think you may purchase a handgun in the future, you are going to need a HQL Handgun Qualification License. I am looking forward to more post from you.:thumbsup:

Thanks! And there is a true wealth here - I came across this forum when simply researching basic topics, without even realizing it was for my locale.

I'm already checking my calendar and trying to hunt down classes (that aren't already full!). Finger printing, no big deal, had to do it when working for the state govt, seems the drill is the same.

--------------

further reflection (and a nice quiet night at home) - I was thinking about my hand positions from today, and I realized I might have been breaking my wrist angle a little bit to try to hold higher on the backstrap. Most of my off target shots were low, and I suspect that might have been a significant contributor. Tilting the gun down to try to ride the web of my hand up higher (or make it feel higher). Noted for attempted reconciliation next time....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom