• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    And the government is here to help you. Besides the obvious problem that most of those people are dead, governments have been very slow to return Nazi loot. Families are tied up in courts for years.

Here's what 100 tons of Nazi gold hidden in a salt mine look like:

Now that is Kool!

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    My family has been trying to get back some art work stolen from them back then. Family lost everything including one of Poland's largest cigarette factories (I'm sure nothing will come of that). I can only imagine how everything on that train will be in dispute for decades. Every ounce of gold, every gold filling, every wedding band (that wasn't swallowed).

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I read recently that the Russian government (Putin) is trying to horn in on this and make claims.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I read recently that the Russian government (Putin) is trying to horn in on this and make claims.
    Well it is his Amber Room.

There are still many millions that are unaccounted for and unsuccessful claims have been made against the Vatican and Swiss banks. Of course how many billions of dollars did we lose track of in Iraq? Not war costs but actual money sent to Iraq.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    First, I have to say RIP to everyone who lost their lives and all their possessions during WWII.

Having said that, it is such a fascinating time in history. I don't think I could ever get sick of reading and watching documentaries on the era.

The Nazis stole so much, and went to pretty crazy measures to hide it. 12 years is a LONG time when you think about it.... There is probably a good amount of gold hidden that nobody alive even knows about.

When the Third Reich was near it's end, all the Nazi higher-ups were going nuts trying to save their own ass AND all the loot they stole.

Hell ,there are people that were never found despite extensive searches (Mengele), there's gotta be lots of art/treasure/gold that is still out there somewhere.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    First, I have to say RIP to everyone who lost their lives and all their possessions during WWII.

Having said that, it is such a fascinating time in history. I don't think I could ever get sick of reading and watching documentaries on the era.

The Nazis stole so much, and went to pretty crazy measures to hide it. 12 years is a LONG time when you think about it.... There is probably a good amount of gold hidden that nobody alive even knows about.

When the Third Reich was near it's end, all the Nazi higher-ups were going nuts trying to save their own ass AND all the loot they stole.

Hell ,there are people that were never found despite extensive searches (Mengele), there's gotta be lots of art/treasure/gold that is still out there somewhere.

Actually, Mengele was eventually found.

From Wikipedia: In 31 May 1985, acting on a tip received by the West German prosecutor's office, police raided the house of Hans Sedlmeier, a lifelong friend of Mengele and sales manager of the family firm in Günzburg.[109] They found a coded address book and copies of letters to and from Mengele. Among the papers was a letter from Bossert notifying Sedlmeier of Mengele's death.[110] German authorities notified the police in São Paulo, who contacted the Bosserts. Under interrogation, they revealed the location of the grave.[111] The remains were exhumed on 6 June 1985, and extensive forensic examination confirmed with a high degree of probability that the body was Mengele's.[112] Rolf Mengele issued a statement on 10 June admitting the body was his father's. He said the news of his father's death had been kept quiet to protect the people who had sheltered his father for so many years.[113] In 1992, DNA testing verified Mengele's identity.[114] The family refused to have the remains repatriated to Germany, and they remain stored at the São Paulo Institute for Forensic Medicine.[115]

Yes, there's folks STILL finding WWII artifacts today. Not all of which are 'treasures' but I find something every time I go over there.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    You would be AMAZED of the vast amount of things still missing/hidden/lost from WWII. Some that is good and some that is bad. There are the casks of mercury, sitting on the bottom of a couple fjords and the ocean, slowly rotting away and leaching their poison from sunken German U-boats, and more gold than just this train. Having read a lot many many years ago about WWII lost items, there is still so much lost ART & SCULPTURE's still unaccounted for, and buried in private collections. I would love to be reading about the progress of this find. I wouldn't mind visiting that diamond mine out in the western US, where someone just found like a 5 carat diamond recently, uncut of course :-). hahahaha

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Actually, Mengele was eventually found.

From Wikipedia: In 31 May 1985, acting on a tip received by the West German prosecutor's office, police raided the house of Hans Sedlmeier, a lifelong friend of Mengele and sales manager of the family firm in Günzburg.[109] They found a coded address book and copies of letters to and from Mengele. Among the papers was a letter from Bossert notifying Sedlmeier of Mengele's death.[110] German authorities notified the police in São Paulo, who contacted the Bosserts. Under interrogation, they revealed the location of the grave.[111] The remains were exhumed on 6 June 1985, and extensive forensic examination confirmed with a high degree of probability that the body was Mengele's.[112] Rolf Mengele issued a statement on 10 June admitting the body was his father's. He said the news of his father's death had been kept quiet to protect the people who had sheltered his father for so many years.[113] In 1992, DNA testing verified Mengele's identity.[114] The family refused to have the remains repatriated to Germany, and they remain stored at the São Paulo Institute for Forensic Medicine.[115]

Yes, there's folks STILL finding WWII artifacts today. Not all of which are 'treasures' but I find something every time I go over there.
    Sorry, I meant never found while he was alive :)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

ww2

Nov 21, 2014
    Don't quit yet. very few can make a good living at it. Maybe only one out of 10,000 get rich.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    First I've heard of it. Fascinating. Yet it has all the earmarks of treasure frenzy which is probably why it's not being more widely reported:
    - Rumors of Nazi treasure train(s) being buried that have swirled for 70 years
    - Tunnels under a nearby castle that the Nazis constructed
    - Secrets on a deathbed revealed by that "one survivor" that helped to hide the train and was somehow not murdered by the Nazis, who were not particularly leniant with their secrets
    - Random bits of gear and coins that were found in the general area that the Germans were known to have occupied anyway.
    - Only one or two ground-penetrating radar images on inferior equipment that could be anything. People see faces on Mars.
    - The Polish government shrugging their shoulders regarding a dig, which would put the whole thing to rest quickly.

I'd be excited if it was real. I'd still be excited if it was real and contained nothing but sensitive documents and some random bodies. So far it seems like two very optimistic guys creating a lot of hype.

Or... maybe... the Poles are already digging it up under the cover of said tunnels, and will spirit away billions in gold and priceless art never to be seen again?! We all know how the fate of stolen treasures will end up, in decades of expensive lawsuits and fights over rightful ownership.

They will haul it away in their own treasure trains, bury it under a "rockslide" for safekeeping and the cycle will continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom