• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I picked one up after shooting Oldcarjunkies, it was such a hoot. :thumbsup:

Haven't got around to shooting mine yet, picked up a scope, but still need a mount. Probably get a texas dogleg.

Plenty of cheap corrosive ammo available, as long as you don't mind cleaning every trip to the range.

Time to break that sucker out!! :party29::party29:

here is mine..
    Since we had my buddies High speed Navy camera with us we took pics with and without flash hider.

Attachments

• dave Vepr.jpg
      dave Vepr.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 249
    • 11430148_1002627769757462_6572116297623852199_n.jpg
      11430148_1002627769757462_6572116297623852199_n.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 332
    • fire ball bullet through.jpg
      fire ball bullet through.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 248
    • fire2.jpg
      fire2.jpg
      59.9 KB · Views: 252
    • fire ball with flash hider.jpg
      fire ball with flash hider.jpg
      55.2 KB · Views: 246

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I like my 54r Vepr. I see 54r Veprs all over now. Classic, Atlantic, Centerfire, Gunbroker. I think they are plenty popular, but some people fear the extractors and the sucky 10 round SGM mags. I like my 23" Vepr, just wish we had better mags. Unless you have a ton of surplus 54r, I don't see a benefit of getting the 54r over the 308. I have both. My 54r shoots fine. I bought a spare extractor just in case, but no issues there so far. My SGM mags took a while to get broken in.

Attachments

• Vepr54scoped.jpg
      Vepr54scoped.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 2,497

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I like my 54r Vepr. I see 54r Veprs all over now. Classic, Atlantic, Centerfire, Gunbroker. I think they are plenty popular, but some people fear the extractors and the sucky 10 round SGM mags. I like my 23" Vepr, just wish we had better mags. Unless you have a ton of surplus 54r, I don't see a benefit of getting the 54r over the 308. I have both. My 54r shoots fine. I bought a spare extractor just in case, but no issues there so far. My SGM mags took a while to get broken in.

Link to spare extractor please?..

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    VEPRs have always confused me for some dealers the don't seem banned others they are.

Only one listed by MSP is the VEPR Hunter which is a very specific configuration. Fairly scare.

Only example I have seen recently is below, Gorgeous! If it had been 7.62*54 I probably would have already bought it. The Pioneer is very similar so theoretically it should pass muster too

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509328361

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I like mine, but it's not sniper accurate even if it looks the part. I can do better with ARs.

The core problem with x54r in a mag is the huge rim causes stacking issues and wear on plastic mag lips. So stick with single-stack factory mags with metal reinforcement.

But it's the closest I'll get to an SVD/Tiger so I'll keep it for now.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    VEPRs have always confused me for some dealers the don't seem banned others they are.

Only one listed by MSP is the VEPR Hunter which is a very specific configuration. Fairly scare.

Only example I have seen recently is below, Gorgeous! If it had been 7.62*54 I probably would have already bought it. The Pioneer is very similar so theoretically it should pass muster too

I had submitted that Vepr back in January of 2013 after pining after one to get a dafinitive answer. Buy the time it got published over 8 months later I had changed my mind. After speaking with two local dealer it was explained that since the part where not interchangeable there was no problem doing a transfer.

I like mine, but it's not sniper accurate even if it looks the part. I can do better with ARs.

The core problem with x54r in a mag is the huge rim causes stacking issues and wear on plastic mag lips. So stick with single-stack factory mags with metal reinforcement.

But it's the closest I'll get to an SVD/Tiger so I'll keep it for now.

I know there is always the accuracy battle but I've hit steel at fair distances with my regular AK saiga conversion and am excited to see what I can do with my Vepr once I get an optic mounted.
    I like this HG....
    http://www.shoretactical.com/product_info.php/manticore-arms-vepr-keymod-handguard-p-487

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD

That's exacrly what I am at. I would love to own a VEPR or two, especially the 54r.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I have a box of 1000 SMKs for this in case I ever find a decent powder for reloading and have the money to pay for it.

Years ago I settled on IMR 4350 for my M44. It performed very well in the 54r. The load was very similar to an '06 load that won the Wimbledon Cup a some years before.

Sirex