• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Who imports the idf model ? Does it brake down for cleaning more like a military gun for cleaning than the iwi model?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Internally they are identical. Both are made by IWI and imported by IWI USA. The same parts on all models are switched out with US made parts (made to IWI specifications). There are many small differences between the IDF and flat top models; enough that you cannot readily convert between the two. But the main difference between them is the permanently attached reflex sight on the IDF. Meprolight sells an M21 adapted for the flat top though and that model rifle is more practical for most people because you can readily mount a wide variety of optics to the long rail. I opted for the IDF because I view the rifle primarily form a collectors perspective. I wanted one as close to an "as issue' rifle as legally possible. Years down the road, when these are no longer being imported, I believe that the IDF will be the one to have when it comes time to sell.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Clarification: the LAW doesn't say anything about being permanently attached. That's the BATFE's interpretation of federal law, which the MSP has adopted for the purposes of measuring OAL for application to MD's law.

The IDF model is indeed awesome. My quibble with it is that it has the wrong barrel length for a "real" IDF Tavor... it should be 18".

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Seems like in MD, we would be better with more barrel and less flash hider since that would give higher muzzle velocity?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    My quibble with it is that it has the wrong barrel length for a "real" IDF Tavor... it should be 18".

You are of course correct. Why they don't bring the IDF in with an 18" barrel is beyond me. I like the CTAR too but there's no way to bring that in as a pistol. It would be nice if they sold it as a barrel set but then that's still a no go in the wonderful utopia known as marylanistan.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    We (my honey and me) took to it like a duck to water. All you have to do is forget almost everything you have previously learned! Like anything, the more you mess with it, the more natural it becomes. This will sound weird, but when I buy a new firearm, I carry it around the house almost constantly for a few weeks to familiarize myself with it. This integrates the handling and controls into my thinking so that it becomes second nature. The Tavor was an easy for me to assimilate so that tells me it was well thought out.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Seems like in MD, we would be better with more barrel and less flash hider since that would give higher muzzle velocity?

Ive been arguing for a 20" tavor DMR for a long time, but there is no incentive for the manufacturer.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The stock Tavor is a modern, battle-tested weapon SPECIFICALLY engineered to gain the advantage in hovel-to-hovel fighting, and muzzle-up quick-exits from vehicles.

It's not complicated:give Designated Marksmen another rifle.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You are of course correct. Why they don't bring the IDF in with an 18" barrel is beyond me. I like the CTAR too but there's no way to bring that in as a pistol. It would be nice if they sold it as a barrel set but then that's still a no go in the wonderful utopia known as marylanistan.
    See, I have a pre ban flat top, so I just need to find an IDF owner who wants a rail and cash for their IDF parts.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Do you like the ergos? Bullpups seem awkward

Surprisingly good ergos once you get used to jamming a mag into your armpit! The bolt release is very fast to operate and the left-hand charging handle is a huge improvement over the AR. You can operate everything easily without having to shift your right hand or break cheekweld much at all.

It balances rather naturally but feels much heavier than it looks. There's a lot of metal even if it's sheathed in plastic. Most Israeli-designed firearms are overbuilt but durable. This makes me feel better when the chamber is located just forward of my face!

Like most bullpups the trigger linkage is the weak part, and the trigger is heavy. It breaks well but requires a strong pull. One day I will add a Geiselle to it.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    I'm definitely interested but would need to test-fire one fairly extensively. I suspect I will have issues similar to those experienced by Hickock45 - I'm tall, broad through the chest, and have long-ish arms . . .

TimG

Aug 14, 2012

Super nice rifle, I hear a local shop was very helpful in the acquisition.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Hi Tim. Yes, Hafer's was as good as can be with regards to finding me the rifle I wanted at the price I wanted. They also did an excellent job pinning the extension on and even timed it the way I asked. Excellent service from beginning to end!!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    This will likely be the first modern firearm purchase I make when I get out of this state next year.
    Thanks for the latest review, combloc!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    We found it to be very easy to get used to. Just picked up and it felt RIGHT.

Yes, it is heavier than it looks. But the balance is good.

I also like the left hand bolt handle. FAL has that also. :)

It sort of takes AR mags, but some P-mags need a little work to open up the small slot at the top back. There is an online article about long term use of use of un-modded P-mags.

dkim73

Feb 15, 2009
    I have the 18 inch model and they still had to pin and weld a longer flash hider to make it md compliant. Overall a fantastic rifle, I did get the Giselle (sp?) trigger as someone else said makes a huge difference especially for longer range. You can also take out the extra spring on the oem trigger, look at YouTube. I bought the trigger for full price but it does go on sale. check their Facebook page.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom